Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#51 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 5:51 PM
It's bad enough in that interview that Hilleman seems to have no clue what players want or even how they play. But maybe the worst aspect of what he had to say was that their ideas were so terribly piddly and lame...

If EA really wanted to focus on technology and creating an immersive experience for the player, then why bother with superficial stuff like cell phone apps and social networking gimmicks? Why not invest some of their profits into emergent technology, like virtual reality and haptics?

The resultant game could still be the sims as we know it, but amped up a thousandfold.

Imagine, you've built a new house in the game, just like always. Then you put on your VR goggles and some sort of Input/Output sensor device, and then slip into the game yourself. You look around and you're in the house you just built. The sensor device allows you to "feel" the objects in the room. One of the sim family approaches you and you reach out for his hand -- and can "feel" his grip. (Remember the Holodeck back in Star Trek? This would be the early version of that...)

Imagine visiting sim Paris, strolling around the city until you reach the Eiffel Tower. (Getting a real workout as you do!) You go to the top and look down on the city far below, your hair rustled by the gentle breeze. All the sights, the noises, the smells of Paris -- you're sensing them all, even though you haven't left your own home.

I'd pay a buttload of money for THAT game.

But the piddly crap EA's peddling? Such a waste of time... It's like a company today investing in Betamax technology, when everyone's already adopted Blue Ray.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 6:04 PM
Wow writerchick that sounds super awesome! Now what you mentioned there would be something worth paying for. But I have no idea if technology is even close to that point.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#53 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 6:17 PM
Wow. And to think I just came here to complain about the Katy Perry stuff pack. I didn't realize EA could tick me off even worse. Builders want to win awards? Already done on multiple forums/pages. Talking to my sim? They talk in Simlish, I wouldn't understand them anyway. Have my sims in my Friends list? People already do that on facebook. And for moviemakers, moviemakingcheatsenabled on gets rid off ALL those annoying "My sim won't do what I want" issues. As far as the phone app idea about taking pictures, that COULD work, but instead of taking a picture of a chair and them paying money for it, why not make an app that takes pictures of people and then make them into a sim??
Forum Resident
#54 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kristie91
Wow writerchick that sounds super awesome! Now what you mentioned there would be something worth paying for. But I have no idea if technology is even close to that point.

This course proves that education is available in this direction:

http://gridinstitute.com/bc/mt35801/posters/web/

If you scroll down through the course description, you can see several images where people are wearing the VR goggles in order to see what the program wants them to see. The haptics I/O devices allow you to "feel" what isn't there. (Essentially, it simulates the messages which travel back and forth from your nerve endings to your brain, creating the illusion that you're feeling something not present.)

I don't know how close they are to everything I mentioned in my previous post, but they're certainly on their way. VR goggles and haptics gloves already exist. If EA was pumping some of their profits into the research, it'd be here even faster.

Not that I expect them to do it... but it would not only benefit their bottom line; it could also benefit everyone. The daily life applications of VR and haptics could be astounding... particularly in fields like telepresence and long distance medicine/virtual surgery.

(Can you tell VR and haptics is a sideline interest of mine? It plays a role in a lot of my writing...)
Field Researcher
#55 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 7:26 PM
writerchick has a great idea, I just don't want to see EA develop it...you'd have a bunch of Simmers losing fingers and brain lobes every time EA put out a new expansion.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#56 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PoisonFrog
writerchick has a great idea, I just don't want to see EA develop it...you'd have a bunch of Simmers losing fingers and brain lobes every time EA put out a new expansion.

I don't know about fingers, but I think some already do lose brain lobes, if the facebook page is any indication
Forum Resident
#57 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PoisonFrog

Dude... I once wrote a very short story where the VR CommNet (communications network) went down while someone was in the VR environment.

It wasn't pretty...

So, yeah... given EA's track record, I totally wouldn't want them in charge of it.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by writerchick
Dude... I once wrote a very short story where the VR CommNet (communications network) went down while someone was in the VR environment.

Off topic but I've actually been looking for a story for about the past seven years that surrounded a girl who gets on a "hover bus" driven by robots and goes to an arcade with her dad's money and goes into a medieval VR game but gets trapped during (I think, I can't remember) a power surge or a glitch and the only way she can get out of the game is to beat it - if they try to pull her out she dies. It was very long and repetitive but I never finished the darn book. I have no idea the name of it.

EDIT: Google has the name for me! Heir Apparent!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heir_Apparent_(novel)

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Test Subject
#59 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 8:55 PM
I might sound like everyone else, but this guy must either have been high during that interview, or he has never met a Sims player in his life.

I love making lavish (and not-so-lavish) houses, a bit of storytelling, and even living out my fantasies through pixel people. But there are better and easier ways of improving those three aspects. The Sims isn't going to stop staying profitable just because there isn't online multiplayer or ways to have creepy alone time with your pixel dolls.
Scholar
#60 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 9:24 PM
He needs to be fired and others as well. As someone said the Sims is not about Social media. It's more than just uploading picks on face books or whatever gimmicks nowadays. The Sims is about Story telling,Sandbox,great game play and playing god! What makes the Sims community so great is that we have very talented people from CC creators, to machinima, to Storytellers not EA's version of how they want us to play. Ever since showtime it's gotten out of control with the Bugs,Lags every 5 minutes of the day, incest photobooth,etc... Plus Simport hosting doesn't work at all and now he is harping a 20$ Chair?!!! And who in the hell want to be that involved playing the Sims it's creepy?

I really hate to be this extremely ranty but, It breaks my heart that they are going in this direction, I love this series to death It's like EA is not giving one ounce of fuck to the consumers anymore! Origin Sucks! With the rumors that the new SimCity will require Constant internet connection for all gameplay modes and not supporting mods on the first day, count me out. Don't forget EA shut down servers not even only a year after it's release on all of their games. I was very so excited to get this game too. If all games companies adapt this model then looks like a I Need a new hobby (or just on keep playing Sims 1,2 and maybe 3 and Simcity 4).

Quote: Originally posted by cameranutz2
I say Simmers unite and buy the shit out from under EA so we can actually make it a game WE want to play and not just another money maker with "today's gadgets"!
^this, If only I can just win the mega million lottery tonight!! Maxis will be bought out of EA ASAP becoming an indie company once again.

On a lighter note, Have you guys seen this? It's kinda hilarious and look who's at the semifinals!!

http://consumerist.com/2012/03/the-...lite-bunch.html
Theorist
#61 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer
So, looks like Rich Hilleman is a complete moron.

... uh... what planet did he come from?!?! Obviously they don't play The Sims wherever he's from....

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#62 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
That second group -- the virtual character owners, the people who want a relationship -- they want to be able to have a deeper emotional interaction with their characters. What I would give them is the ability to have video chat with their Sims. Now, the Sims speak Simlish -- and I wouldn't change that, by the way -- but that doesn't mean that we can't have something that produces an emotionally evocative experience.

What's a Sim going to say? 'Damn you, contolling freak?'

My Simblr: Here
Instructor
#63 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90

"That second group -- the virtual character owners, the people who want a relationship -- they want to be able to have a deeper emotional interaction with their characters. What I would give them is the ability to have video chat with their Sims. Now, the Sims speak Simlish -- and I wouldn't change that, by the way -- but that doesn't mean that we can't have something that produces an emotionally evocative experience.

The other thing I want to do is make the Sims a part of your social life, make them a part of your friends circle, and how you do that is you make where your Sims go with you be as interesting as where you go. And so for instance, imagine an application that when I went to Mount Rushmore with my Sims in my phone in my pocket, that it sent a note to all of my Facebook friends with a postcard of the Sims standing in front of Mount Rushmore and the note on the back of what we did there. It's a goofy idea, but for somebody who cares about that character as deeply as one of their other friends, it's a natural kind of thing."

^ To the sentences in bold, what. Just...what?

Sorry, I'd rather hang out with my LIVING, BREATHING friends than hang out with my Sims everywhere I go. I love my Sims but they're more like little virtual pets to me (slaves *cough**cough*) than friends. And I may think a Sim or two is cute-looking, but doesn't mean I would want to date them. I don't think of the the Sims 24/7...

My male Sims are...Simulicious!
Field Researcher
#64 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by -Zol-
Why can't we go back to having a game that's essentially a blank canvas, where we can do whatever we want to do, instead of being funnelled into a game that's basically someone else's idea of fun?

I totally agree...

Please, sorry for my bad English..
Test Subject
#65 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 11:13 PM
I just snorted laughing at how he assumes people want to video chat with their sims. I look bad enough yelling at them when they do something stupid, but to sit and actually video chat like I would with a real living and breathing friend...That is creepy as hell. Who ever wrote that is off their rocker and extremely delusional about the types of people that play and what they want. I'm honestly a bit scared LOL.

The whole "take a picture to get that piece of furniture" or something in game thing sounds kind of cool though.

I am sorry, but I can't stand that everything is about smart phones and all the current gadgets we have today. I miss when things revolved around themselves...no extra diddly-dods that require an iPhone or black berry or other products by other people......just that company and their own ideas for their own game.

Don't be a drag, just be a Queen!
Forum Resident
#66 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 11:27 PM
After reading this I thought it was pretty stupid, real live chats with a Sim? How does that even work? How would one sim even come into that. But then someone in the Katy Perry thread made me wonder if that one, and this thread is all an early April Fools joke? Don't forget people April Fools is tomorrow (Well for Australia it is). They might have released this early so nobody questioned of it was an April Fools joke.
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Willow's Tara
After reading this I thought it was pretty stupid, real live chats with a Sim? How does that even work? How would one sim even come into that. But then someone in the Katy Perry thread made me wonder if that one, and this thread is all an early April Fools joke? Don't forget people April Fools is tomorrow (Well for Australia it is). They might have released this early so nobody questioned of it was an April Fools joke.

We can only hope?? I doubt it though.

I keep waiting for someone to post something that proves this not to be true. Turns out this guy was actually the evil twin of the real Rich Hilleman...??
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 11:46 PM

Oh please, oh please let this be true. Let this article be one big, really stupid April Fools joke.

On a side note: Are the Admin's sure AdamantEve isn't a Claeric sock?

Sims 3 Midnight Island Challenge: http://maekitten.blogspot.com/
Field Researcher
#69 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shhh

I don't think any of us really want to know what our Sims would say about us.

The sad part is the only thing I want in that article is that shirt he's wearing.
Forum Resident
#70 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shhh

Lol!!! Exactly!!! They already secretly hate us anyway!!!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#71 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 1:39 AM

I don't think so. It is Gamasutra, a well respected game developer's publication. I really doubt they would put an article...especially days before April 1st, on their website if it was a joke. Now..if it were released on April 1st..maybe. They are just too credible of a web magazine to play a joke on us.

EA..yeah, they might do that. But this is not EA...it is an interview with an EA director.
Instructor
#72 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 2:00 AM
Alright me and my baseball bat are going to beat some sense into these idiots. How has our feedback implied we want ANY of that crap!? Like would it kill them to talk to real simmers instead of assuming they understand us.

Because I don't think those three categories describe most simmers because I don't see Play God on that list and that is like reason A for me.

Basically I don't want to have relationships with my sims I want them to follow orders. I'm not their friend I'M THEIR BOSS!
Top Secret Researcher
#73 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by writerchick
It's bad enough in that interview that Hilleman seems to have no clue what players want or even how they play. But maybe the worst aspect of what he had to say was that their ideas were so terribly piddly and lame...

If EA really wanted to focus on technology and creating an immersive experience for the player, then why bother with superficial stuff like cell phone apps and social networking gimmicks? Why not invest some of their profits into emergent technology, like virtual reality and haptics?

The resultant game could still be the sims as we know it, but amped up a thousandfold.

Imagine, you've built a new house in the game, just like always. Then you put on your VR goggles and some sort of Input/Output sensor device, and then slip into the game yourself. You look around and you're in the house you just built. The sensor device allows you to "feel" the objects in the room. One of the sim family approaches you and you reach out for his hand -- and can "feel" his grip. (Remember the Holodeck back in Star Trek? This would be the early version of that...)

Imagine visiting sim Paris, strolling around the city until you reach the Eiffel Tower. (Getting a real workout as you do!) You go to the top and look down on the city far below, your hair rustled by the gentle breeze. All the sights, the noises, the smells of Paris -- you're sensing them all, even though you haven't left your own home.

I'd pay a buttload of money for THAT game.

But the piddly crap EA's peddling? Such a waste of time... It's like a company today investing in Betamax technology, when everyone's already adopted Blue Ray.

I'd want to be invisible. I don't want to interact with my sims. I want them to interact with each other. That's a foreign concept to EA.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 11:04 AM Last edited by Louma37 : 31st Mar 2012 at 12:14 PM.
"but they want an application on their phone that I can go take a picture of that chair, and "get that chair in my game for $20,"
"what the dollhouser wants is not an application on their computer, but they want an application on their phone..."

what now?! so EA knows for sure what simmers want ?! how on earth a person who likes to decorate and seeks quality of meshes and stuff like that to make a scene for example look good, would leave a PC/laptop and go for an application on a phone ? that's just not right, sounds like a person reading a " how to sound more excited" book, and just want to sound like a technology seeking expert
Test Subject
#75 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 1:02 PM
I'm 25, i hate apps, my phone doesn't use apps, i definitely don't want my sims as an app or an app for my sims, fail again EA
Page 3 of 7