Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#26 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 8:44 AM
Well - and I don't know what field this is in sims 3 - in theory you can make the reflections sharper so that you can see the pattern everywhere except the bits that are particularly catching the light. Somewheer there is a number that if you make it smaller the shine won't spread over the whole seat at the same time like it does in your picture. It will more likely glint off a few spots at a time.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#27 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 9:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Somewhere there is a number

One can ramp up/down the fresnel reflections (http://www.cgrenaissance.com/tutorials/reflections.htm) and specular (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specular_reflection) in the mtlsrc too – I guess both would have an influence on how exactly reflections are rendered.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
#28 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 12:09 PM
Also consider shading the specular so that it only reflects from the edge curves? If your multiplier is shaded appropriately, use it as both the specular rgb and the specular alpha.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#29 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 4:16 PM
By "multiplier" you mean the ambient shadow? From what I've seen, the specular textures are much lighter overall than those, with stronger contrast, so it's not the *exact same* image you'd use for both (but it's very similar). Yes, when there is an ambient multiplier, there should definitely be a specular one too, otherwise the result might look a bit illogical .. the less ambient light, the less reflections. But in Dee's last post it sounds like the current problem is that the object is still too reflective overall, not particularly in the shadow areas.

I dunno what shader Dee is using at the moment, Phong? There are a few others, maybe one of them is better suited .. I don't remember exactly what TS3 has, but TS2 had a bunch that were specifically for metallic and reflective surfaces. Or maybe there already is an object in the game that you could look at, to see what variables are used for specularity and so on; I'm not sure exactly what look you want, but maybe a car or bike would work? I never tried to apply a pattern to those, but they do look glossy in my game and also have very bright, saturated colours.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
#30 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 6:29 PM
I got the impression she does want it highly shiny, like metal. But the problem is the highlight is spread over the whole surface not on parts that catch the light.

Instructor
Original Poster
#31 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 1:06 AM
Yes, I want it to be metallic looking but with richer colours. I would like the patterns to look deeper and more clear then that washed out look I get.
I'll tinker with it some more but later on, I'm a bit sick of trying different ways and not getting the effect I want.
I tried so many times I'm dreaming about that stupid chair.
I'll try something new and dig it out later when I'm less annoyed with it.
Thank you everyone for your help and ideas.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Alchemist
#32 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 1:18 AM
I know exactly what you mean Dee. I can't tell you how often I've pulled one of the first objects I made ( and couldn't share due to problems) from my "old projects" folder to have another go at it. I've tried every which way to make that object work...a very large table object that has a decent sunshadow...but no matter what it just won't. I keep trying but I take breaks from it so I don't just pull every last hair outta my head.

Anyway, good luck with workin' on this object in the future
Instructor
Original Poster
#33 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 3:22 AM
Thank you OM, I find meshing for this game so much more frustrating, Sims 2 seemed a lot easier.
I've meshed and tested different objects over the last few months and I'm not happy with any of them.
To be honest, it's driving me nuts and I deleted all of them.
When I think I got it just perfect, I look in game and I find things what aren't right.
I'm running out of patience what is not the way to be, when you want to mesh for this game.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Page 2 of 2