Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 9:53 PM
Default Adding a normal map to a mesh. How to do it?
Hello,

After reading the description on Whiteriders "Muscle slider fix" I wanted to try and add normal maps to a couple of custom meshes. However I can't seem to find any information on how to do this... I already extracted the normal maps I want to use from the game, so I just need to know how to apply them to the meshes...

Can anybody explain to me how to do this? Or link me to a tutorial?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 10:20 PM
What type of item is this - object or cas part?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 10:30 PM
cas parts.
#4 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 7:30 AM
You'd probably get more help posting in CAS parts. Not many creators make both types of content, and I thnk the clothes and hair creators all stick to the CAS parts forum The procedures and tools for content creation including normal maps are very different between the two types.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#5 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 7:35 AM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 1:40 PM
Thank you Inge I'll go look over there...

Omegastarr82, Thank you for the link. However this tutorial explains how to make a normal map, not how to make a mesh use a normal map.

What I really want to do is to make edit a mesh so that it supports normal maps, and then use one of the basegame normal maps for that mesh.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#7 Old 3rd Aug 2011 at 8:07 PM
Both CTU and TSRW have the ability to change the normal map. In CTU it's in the Meshes tab: the Bump Map slot at the bottom of the slots where you import your modified meshes. In TSRW it's in the Mesh tab: click Material and then the button next to it with "...".
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 4th Aug 2011 at 3:53 AM
Unfortunate changing a normalmap to a custom package isn't possible with both CTU or TSRW unless you reclone the file.

Changing a normalmap can only be done with Postal or S3PE Each clothing or shoe is linked to a normalmap by default and it is possible to change it as follow:

Open the custom package
Add the normalmap DDS file
Give the file a unique instance number and fix the type and group number
Export the 3 GEOM files(Lod1/2 and 3)
Open each GEOM with Milkshape
Go to the comments in the groups tab
Change the Normalmap instance number from the first TGI into the one you changed on your added DDS file
Commit and export the GEOM
Import the GEOM back into the package
Do this also for the other lods
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Aug 2011 at 9:34 AM
Ah, okay thanks BloomsBase! I'll give it a go
Field Researcher
#10 Old 19th Aug 2011 at 4:38 AM
So how do i generate a "unique instance number" for my new normal?

I have cloned the "Don Pedro Window" with the iron work on them from the sims store
and made a set of matching windows.
A tall one, a wall height one, a Double one a double wall height and so on.
they look good but the normals are not sticking when changed and show a warped overlay
of the old normal instead...

TSRW and S3PE both seem to do the same thing to them and i have built and rebuilt them but
cannot get the effect of the normal to match up to the altered mesh.

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
#11 Old 19th Aug 2011 at 7:55 AM
To generate a unique instance number you could use the FNV tool in S3PE and put in some random string and numbers and see what it comes up with :D