Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2006 at 2:26 PM
Default package.package
When I install a Sim with Clean Installer, it gives me the option to install the .package files in any subfolder of my Downloads folder and it installs it as a .package file. However, when I install a residence with Clean Installer, If I want to install the objects to a subfolder, I must use the Browse option and all the files are installed as a .package.Sims2Tmp file or as a .package.package file. Then I have to edit all the installed files to remove the extra .package or .Sims2Tmp from the file name so I don't have duplicate files with different file extensions. Am I doing something wrong or is the program set up this way? If the program is set up this way, may I ask why?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 11th Mar 2006 at 1:50 PM
I gave up trying to install things to subfolders directly with cleaninstaller. I keep the top level of the downloads folder empty, install to that and then move things to subfolders. (to keep it clear, I put all my clothes and stuff in Saved Sims instead of Downloads - they can't go in subfolders 'cos I don't have NL)

So Please can you have a look at the browse for the next update?
Test Subject
#3 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 5:04 AM
Yes this .package.package thing is annoying! :naughty:
Theorist
#4 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cwykes
I gave up trying to install things to subfolders directly with cleaninstaller. I keep the top level of the downloads folder empty, install to that and then move things to subfolders. (to keep it clear, I put all my clothes and stuff in Saved Sims instead of Downloads - they can't go in subfolders 'cos I don't have NL)

So Please can you have a look at the browse for the next update?
Yes, this package.package bug is getting very frustrating! As you do Cwykes, I keep Downloads empty and then move the files to subfolders manually later. But unfortunately this does not work when trying to split up content from a Lot package. If you don't allow Sims2Pack to put everything into the Teleport folder as a .TMP file then there appears to be no way around this package.package problem. I'm getting so fed up with renaming dozens of files manually that if I had even a little more free time I'd be writing my own app. to remove the extra extension. Sigh...
Test Subject
#5 Old 15th Jun 2006 at 8:04 PM
Hey there, all... I've been lurking for quite some time, but a recent headache over discovering TONS of package.package files prompted me to post... so, first of all, hello!

Second: get yourself a fairly-functional (not "crippled-until-you-purchase") batch file renamer--you can go to www.tucows.com or www.download.com (both very reputable sites for freeware, shareware, and demos) to check out their reviews and ratings of these kinds of programs.

The one I've found that works best (with no "limited use" hassles) is called, simply, "File Renamer" by Sherrod Computers (SherrodComputers.com). You only need the free, basic version to correct the package.package issue. Give it a shot if package.package files have you pulling your hair out--let me know if anyone needs help figuring the program out, btw It's not a 1-click "Presto" operation (you have to set it up to look specifically for package.package files and tell it how to correct them)... but it sure as heck beats renaming 50+files manually! >.<

Good luck!
Test Subject
#6 Old 28th Jun 2006 at 6:46 AM
thank you
good wisdom from an obviously wise person
the renamer works great.
the powers should really fix that package.package thing it's a real pain.

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 28th Jun 2006 at 8:56 AM
There is a DOS file renamer you can access from windows without downloading anything. I haven't tried it for this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. These are the instructions for renumbering a 'hood, but I think they'd adapt just fine.

1) open a command window (Start - run - cmd)
2) go to the folder (cd "My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods\N004", enter)
3) type this command: REN N004* N00Y*
4) go to the first subfolder (cd characters, enter)
5) repeat 3
6) go to the second subfolder (cd .. , cd lots, enter)
7) repeat 3
Cool go to the third subfolder (cd .. , cd Storytelling, enter)
9) repeat 3
10) go to the last subfolder (cd .. , cd Thumbnails, enter)
11) repeat 3

navigate to the Download folder and type
REN *package.package *package
Theorist
#8 Old 14th Jul 2006 at 2:06 AM Last edited by Sophie-David : 14th Jul 2006 at 2:35 AM. Reason: Attempting to get attachment to be legible within size contraints
Quote: Originally posted by cwykes
navigate to the Download folder and type
REN *package.package *package
Yes, I thought this would work too, but it doesn't for me. Did you have any success with this or some variation?
Quote:
The one I've found that works best (with no "limited use" hassles) is called, simply, "File Renamer" by Sherrod Computers (SherrodComputers.com). You only need the free, basic version to correct the package.package issue. Give it a shot if package.package files have you pulling your hair out--let me know if anyone needs help figuring the program out, btw It's not a 1-click "Presto" operation (you have to set it up to look specifically for package.package files and tell it how to correct them)... but it sure as heck beats renaming 50+files manually! >.<
Well this one does work, but as you imply Wysdom, it is not very intuitive. The way I did it was to delete eight characters from the filename, starting at the end, as I attempted to show in the attachment. I would suggest selecting the Preview button to check on what your result is going to be, before going ahead with Apply.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 6:54 PM
If you are installing a lot with content, I read on MATY that you need to let the game install content with the lot otherwise it won't necessarily install properly. Once the lot is installed, then you can subfolder stuff. This is the thread...
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,3872.0.html

sorry the windows renamer doesn't work - I confess I didn't try it - just thought it ought to work. Next time I have a package.package I'll play around with it
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 15th May 2009 at 2:43 PM
I know this was posted a long long time ago, but my game has just started crashing and I have JUST noticed that a lot of the filenames I installed today (from a lot I downloaded) are .package.package somer have even more. Do these filenames harm your game or make the game crash?

Dooglebear
Theorist
#11 Old 20th May 2009 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dooglebear
I know this was posted a long long time ago, but my game has just started crashing and I have JUST noticed that a lot of the filenames I installed today (from a lot I downloaded) are .package.package somer have even more. Do these filenames harm your game or make the game crash?
If your computer hardware setup gives marginal performance with the Sims 2 then the presence of a lot of extra files could send it over the edge into crashing mode. But I think it is more likely that you may have simply downloaded an incompatible or buggy file with your most recent downloads. Try removing these new downloads and see if the crashing stops.
Test Subject
#12 Old 9th Jul 2009 at 11:28 PM
What I'd like to know is, I'm getting the same exact file name with .package extension, then the same file name with .package.package and then again the same file name with THREE AND MORE, UP TO 8 .package extensions!! My game is crashing, I contacted the author of one of the houses that requres "trick 17" to install, they said that it IS the trick 17 that is doing this and say to rename the files. (By the way, I LOVE the houses otherwise I'd say skrew it and delete those but am trying to work around it)

MY question is this: Do I rename all of the extensions only to a one and single .package extension (which will of course cause all kinds of duplications in another way) - OR do I rename the actual files themselves with a bulk renaming utility and KEEP the multiple .package.package.package etc etc extensions? This seems to be a waste of computer space, but am wondering if the multiple .package extensions really mean a different file??? (I think not) I did try deleting about 300 of the 1200 or so duplicate files, but tried playing the game and it starts to load the neighborhood but keeps reverting back to a "loading with hourglass/arrow" type screen FOREVER - (I restored those files but haven't tried it again yet)

YIKES - this is very hairy for me, am good with computers but this is really stumping me - would LOVE oops to hear from someone who knows about this......

Thanks (so much)

kambre (aka Barb)
Theorist
#13 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 4:26 PM
Hi Kambre

I can't guess what's causing this but personally I would delete all the package.package duplicates. Because they all have the same GUIDs as the original the game will only use one of them anyway. But all those extra files are just putting a big burden on your running the Sims 2 so they should be trashed. I have no idea what "trick 17" is but it does sound rather ominous.

David
Site Helper
#14 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 6:31 PM
I disable the lot or sim, and install the CC. Then I disable all the CC and install the lot or sim while the package is still open. It seems to work. Of course I also then hide the sims2packs on the hard drive where my husband can't find and delete them, just in case something went wrong.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#15 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 9:37 PM
Thank you for the replies, still trying to get around this and will try ghost's suggestion - By the way, I got that ominous sounding "trick 17" from http://www.all4sims.de/ website - they recommend it for all of their lot downloads
: )
Test Subject
#16 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 4:36 PM
Okay so here's hoping that someone out there sees this and has run up against similar problems or recognises something in this that I am missing, so here goes:

Roughly about a month a go I decided to rebuilt my content from scratch, to begin with it was working okay a few bugs here and there and I managed to sort them but as I spanned the years of content (as far back as 1995) I have discovered many .package.package files and sometimes these go on and on well over 8 times. From reading this thread I have learnt that it seems to be Clean Installer that make this happen, which is fine I stick things into a sub folder anyway like many of you on this thread seem to do.

So here is where I am getting lost, recently say this last almost a week now I should imagine I am running into the same thing, the game loads and then I can get into a hood fine, into an empty lot fine and even into the catalogue fine, I started to experience game crashes in this area of the catalogue, it wouldn't go from chairs to beds so I thought it must be a bed issue, so I have cut down the number of beds, then it was fine and now it started having trouble in other areas, like surfaces for example I'll get into that area but try and go to the next page and it crashes or try going to the misc and it crashes. I thought it maybe content from other sites to begin with, a few of my fellow users have been having trouble with other sites but I am not pointing any fingers as I can't be sure of anything however I don't even think its that unless someone else knows something I don't.

Anyway the point to this long winded post is this, I am wondering could the trouble come from the .package.package etc duplicate files, someone else mentioned that these files are duplications caused by the installer and if this is the case, can this most recent version of installer be told not to make this happen, if not then is it safe to removed them, they aren't connected to the file that it takes its original name from are they?

Hopefully someone out there sees this post and can either give me an idea of a root cause or perhaps point me to a post that may have more information, I mean does anyone know if the sims2 has an actual limit to the amount of CC it can handel?
Site Helper
#17 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 5:03 PM
This problem has been fixed in the most recent versions of the Clean Installer.

You can always rename files yourself, to remove excess .package extensions. There are even bulk rename utilities which may be able to help you to rename them; be sure to get one which handles changes in file extensions. There is never any need for multiple .package extensions.

You can always remove duplicate files and files which you no longer need. The Clean Installer marks duplicate files in pink.

You should really try following this FAQ:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...lp:Game_Problem

If you continue to have crashing problems, even after completing the FAQ, then you probably want to post in the Sims 2 Help forum. There's no indication that your crashing has anything to do with the Clean Installer.
Test Subject
#18 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 8:52 PM
Cheers Mootilda & thanks for the speedy reply,

I didn't think that it was Clean Installer but as I am sure you and the many others out there tend to do was just covering all the bases. I'll go and have a look at the link you've provided many thanks for btw, it's a pain since I seem to get three steps forward and ten back on any given day. I wonder if you can possibly answer me just one other thing that I am having trouble finding an answer for you know when there is a duplicate file by that I mean a .package.package etc are they safe to delete? for example having lipcorners-vivian.package.package would it be okay to delete that file if there is a lipcorners -vivian already present, it wouldn't invalidate or prevent the game from working properly because they are both linked in someway?

Anyway thanks again for the help, it's appreciated and also if you are able to answer the question I just posed thank you for that as well.
Site Helper
#19 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 9:21 PM
File which have the same name may or may not be the same files. They may also be different versions of the same file.

If you're concerned that you are deleting something that you actually need, there are some things that you can do to help yourself.

1) backup your entire Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder first. That way, if something goes wrong you can get everything back. Delete your backup once you're sure that everything's working OK.

2) Rather than deleting CC, you can move it to another folder on your hard drive (not in Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2). This will give you a chance to run the game and make sure that everything is working before removing the CC for good.

I hope that you get your crashing issues sorted out.
Test Subject
#20 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 9:44 PM
Brilliant thank you Mootilda, I had wondered about what that for a while since the first time around doing this fresh rebuild and I came across them. I have been at this for almost a month, anyway thanks to your input and the reading through the comments and answers that came before my post I know what is happening now and what I can do about it. Here's hoping that the way forward with this is smooth from here on in.

Thanks again :-)