Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 2:01 AM
Default Where can I find a tutorial/info on Sims 2 rug meshing?
I'd like to make some custom meshes for rugs--my first Sims 2 meshes. I know how to use my software (Blender) and can usually figure out tutorials written for other applications. What I need are some general hints: do I just create a flat polygon and do everything with textures and such? And how do I position the rug vertically? I wouldn't want my sims to trip

I've searched here, on MATY and done a general web search, but I have not found anything. Possibly the subject is too simple for authors to address, and I'm just being dense.

Anyway, directions to rug meshing resources would be greatly appreciated.

I use the gimp, Blender and SimPE.

I play TS2 and TSM. I own TS3, but like TS2 better.

Current project: learn Sims 2 meshing
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 11:41 PM
You're not being dense. I was the exact same way just a few months ago. Until these things 'click' in your head, it's all very confusing.

The best way to go about it (for me at least) is to clone a Maxis rug that best matches the size and shape of what you want to make. That way, when you open it in your meshing program, you'll have a good guide for thickness and length, and it will already be positioned correctly so it lays on the floor. Place your vertices around it in top-view to make the shape you want, and connect them. You'll naturally realise when you don't need the Maxis rug as a guide anymore and delete it, leaving just your faces.

I wish I could link you to a tutorial, but I remember looking for the same thing and found nothing on rugs either.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 1:20 AM
I'm 99.99% sure that a rug tutorial doesn't exist. I'd say 100% sure, but you never know. There could be one floating around the internet somewhere and we've just never seen it, lol.

Cloning a Maxis rug is one way of going about this but Maxis rugs can have their own problems - the mapping being one. Myself? I'd rather clone a custom rug. The actual shape of the rug doesn't matter all that much since you can clone a rectangular rug and make a round rug recolor as long as you stay within the mapped area. Good rugs to clone would be one of Nengi65's, Echo's or Buggybooz' Sage rug. Nengi and Echo's rugs are sets that have a master, so be sure to clone the master rug so your rug will have all the resources it needs.
Scholar
#4 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 4:18 AM
I was assuming the new mesh would be made with a new uv map as well.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#5 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 5:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Snufflepaws
I was assuming the new mesh would be made with a new uv map as well.

For the most part, this is true. If I were to make a new couch I'd probably want to remap it. For a rug though? There's really no need for a new map. To me it's easier to just clone a rug that's already properly mapped.
Scholar
#6 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 9:20 AM
It would take 2 seconds for a rug to be mapped though. Whole thing, planar on Y axis, done. Then again I don't seem to mind mapping as much as other people. Taking screenshots, that's the part I hate.