Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 3:43 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Deleting an object out of grid
My question might be quite a small and I'm sorry if this already has an answer, I tried to read FAQ and search this typical problem through the forums. If this has been already "figured out" somewhere, my apologizes. My eyes must have missed it. Also this might have belonged in Buy Mode category... oh well.

The issue is with an object (in this case, a tree) that I have placed slightly out of the grid at the time I made the lot for my family. Now, this one particular annoying tree is in the middle of a driveway and I cannot select it to be removed or deleted. I recently made a new world and moved the whole lot onto that new neighbourhood, so the area is a bit different and that's why I had to move trees from my lot to another spot. But that one!!!

I've tried to click on it but it won't show up the hand so I can't really grab it. I've zoomed very close and very far from every angle... no use. I tried the Sledgehammer tool too, but no... I even tried to build on it (walls can't because "it's too close to the edge of the lot" but a fence seems to go straight through it... as if the tree is not even there.) The tree is half out off the grid because when I placed it, I used Moveobjects. Now even with the cheat on, I can't have a hold on it anymore! Also my lot is finished and big so having it all put down just for the sake of one irritating tree is not an option. I have placed objects half out of the grid before but never have they been untouchable after that.

What can I do to delete that tree?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 4:07 PM
yeah, I've had this problem too - just because of my "smart creativity"

option A.
trivial - bulldoze the lot;

option B.
MasterController: Delete object in class (useful if it is some normally world/inventory object or if you exacly know which it is/there is only a few or you just does not care)

option C. Probably best one.
DebugEnabler: purge in radius;

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 2:01 PM
Thanks both! The Tree That Wants to Be is still there, though...

nitromon, that didn't help because the cursor is grey on the tree. It won't let any clicking on it. Otherwise I would have used Delete Object in the first place, too.

ElaineNualla, option A is not an option in this case as I mentioned earlier... too dear that lot to me, it is.
Could you specify your options B and C? Where do I find that "Delete object in class"? I opened nraas -> MasterController via the lot's computer but didn't find that option. Also, there are like hundreds of those typical trees on my lot and the world, does that matter?

Is DebugEnabler one of nraas, too? I don't have that one installed in the game, but I will if nothing else helps and if you could explain how it works a bit more =)
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#5 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 3:57 PM
It could eventually turn out that nothing works, though, unfortunately. I have the same with some rocks that I placed too far off lot. Other than deleting all the rocks in the world with MasterController's ObjectStats command, there is a slight chance that the game has already identified the tree as part of the world lot and then you could perhaps delete it by going into the World Editor mode in Edit Town. But as I said, it could turn out that the tree will permanently remain in some limbo of being neither on the lot nor in the world but still visibly and physically there as a reminder to be careful with moveobjects on.
Scholar
#6 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 7:24 PM
the 'b' is the procedure Don Babilon described above.
The 'c': LeftClick +CRTL on the ground near unwanted object, select NRAAS->DebugEnabler->Radius Purge (set radius while prompted); the 1 means 1tile if I'm not wrong. That way you are able to delete objects actually unselectable.
Sometimes it may not work, though (see above).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jan 2017 at 11:02 AM
Apparently nothing worked; the Tree has indeed fallen into the unreachable limbo and is now permanently a part of my lot, no matter what. I have to try and deal with it some other way...
Anyway, I got some useful tips from your suggestions to try out if anything like this may happen again.

Also, I learned not to push it too far with MoveObjects......

So thanks, everyone!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Jan 2017 at 1:28 PM Last edited by shooting_well : 21st Jan 2017 at 1:52 PM.
So.

1) Yes, I tried it (again) in LIVE mode.
2) Yes, the cheat is on. I use it a lot, anyways.
3) I hold down shift+CTRL (by the way, it gives the option with just shift, too) and no, the cursor won't change. It's grey, unusable. For other objects it works... but, as a matter of fact, it won't let me delete any other TREE that way either when I tried. Hmph?

I had it in mind that this particular tree COULD have been placed in World Editor mode. However, I still can't do anything about it as it is not selectable in the WE mode. I tested the theory out anyway the way you said. I bulldozed the whole lot twice (the house out and then the lot out), zoomed in the WE mode and nope, the tree is gone with everything else so it is caunted as being on the lot. I then placed the lot back... and tadah, the tree is there again.

And as I said before, the fence can be build through it so doesn't that suggest that the tree kind of is not there, even it is visible?

EDIT: Ooookay , something weird happened. The tree has suddenly disappeared... I have no idea how or why since nothing worked before. After the bulldozing, I quit and exit the game completely without saving, then went back and now... no tree. What? I have quit the game before after trying Delete Objects etc. everything and yet it was always there when I came back, but now it's not! I seriously have no clue.

Was there some kind of an odd bug or something? A ghost tree?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 21st Jan 2017 at 2:09 PM
Probably a caching error, looked like the tree was still there even though it had gone.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 21st Jan 2017 at 2:47 PM
Quote:
EDIT: Ooookay , something weird happened. The tree has suddenly disappeared... I have no idea how or why since nothing worked before. After the bulldozing, I quit and exit the game completely without saving, then went back and now... no tree. What? I have quit the game before after trying Delete Objects etc. everything and yet it was always there when I came back, but now it's not! I seriously have no clue.

If not a caching error as @simsample suggested if you have Overwatch or Error Trap that could be your answer.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 21st Jan 2017 at 4:19 PM
I'm curious to know also. I've had that happen a few times and just thought that OW or ET cleaned it out after a few reloads. I also had MOO and was setting up in a custom world.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Jan 2017 at 12:14 PM
So far no tree has made its unwanted reappearance and I'm just happy to see it gone. It was probably some caching error, I'm playing in a custom world and that cooould have something to do with it. The world is not perfectly functioning, anyways but decent enough. Again, thanks for all your support!