Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#26 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 1:59 PM
Yes, BabaYaga's plates are along the same line. I shall go look at those.

I've had mixed results changing the default textures. I have my bohemian daybed I converted and changed those fine, but my bed blankets wouldn't. Not sure where I went wrong or if it was the object itself.
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#27 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 2:21 PM
There is more you have to change to change the default pattern. What I described above changes the image. You have to change more to change the pattern (working on that now). The default color can be changed in the xml also. It is the HSV values.

BabaYaga: If that's the case, then image overlays would probably work better. They could be included in a separate package so different objects could reference them (like TS2 recolours). I'm speaking in theory, of course, since I haven't tried it yet. Like the deco plates, for example (which are already awesome). You could have package that has all of your overlays or masks with/instead of patterns. Then have the 1st default with no overlay/masks, and the rest with them referenced from that package.

Disclaimer: I tend to go at things like that Disney cartoon where Goofy sleepwalks through a construction site. So forgive me if I'm wrong.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Instructor
#28 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 2:27 PM
Oh okay, thanks I see. So if I want to change the recolor my object uses as default, I can edit the color in the extracted XML.

And if I understand correctly it isn't yet discovered how to change the pattern used by the object. Because now my cloned objects use the three default recolors of the original object, I can delete them, but not edit them (apart then from the color being used, as that's in the XML).

I'm finding it very exciting discovering all this! :D

This space intentionally left blank...
Inventor
#29 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 6:07 PM
Yeah me too!!
I found this patternlist in Fullbuild0, don't know if it can be of any help?
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  S3_D4D9FBE5_00000000_2297F0D58F6ED13D_patternlist%%+PTRN.zip (4.3 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content
Alchemist
#30 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 12:43 AM
IMG is fourth from top for anyone trying this.

I've got a couple of questions about the method.

How do we pick a safe new instance number?

There are 5 xml.s How do we know which is the right one to export?

Thanks for any help.

OM
Alchemist
#31 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 1:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
How do we pick a safe new instance number?

While there is no absolutely safe method, what you should do is make up long strings, like
Code:
 orangemittenpatternformyfirstproject

and use one of the FNV-64 calculators available here to make a hash. Hashes are kind of like checksums, but the bits are scattered across the number instead of just being added to it.

All of the instances in the game are based on 32 or 64-bit hashes of names. You would as good a chance at duplicating a number already used by the game or someone else as you would picking the winning number for the Powerball lottery two weeks in a row.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Alchemist
#32 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 1:39 AM
Thank you Wes. Off to look for an FNV-64 calculator.

"You would as good a chance at duplicating a number already used by the game or someone else as you would picking the winning number for the Powerball lottery two weeks in a row"...lol...

never underestimate my bad luck darlin'.

OM
In the Arena
retired moderator
#33 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 2:53 AM
OM, there is one built-in under Tools menu
Alchemist
#34 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 2:56 AM
Thank you once again Ella. How do I use it?

OM
In the Arena
retired moderator
#35 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 3:14 AM
You just plug-in some text - anything with your creator name would ensure its uniqueness, click on Calculate button and then paste the string it came up with to the designated field you need to edit.

Compare the length you'd need to use with other packages to see which to copy.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#36 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 4:05 AM
thank you Ella.

OM
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#37 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 4:32 AM
There are 5 xml.s How do we know which is the right one to export?
OM

It is usually named the same as the object, i.e. PaintingCars_xml, PaintingMission_xml.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#38 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 4:56 AM

The Misty Lighthouse painting: cloned, removed all but 1 default recolour (for testing purposes), changed default wood pattern to wicker pattern.

The thumbnail is leftover from a previous FAIL (skipped a step ). I didn't change the color because I want to make sure I got this part right. I will try one more time, write down the steps, and post them and the resulting package.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#39 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 5:56 AM
I am assuming that if you know the steps to remove recolors, one at a time, then we know what to do to add them.

Someone needs to become a historian, take over a section of the wiki for this stuff, bug authors by PM for a few words of clarity. We can make it prettier later, and maybe better organized, but you don't want the research to escape notice on a page 5 back from the latest posts. No one reads that far since they invented tv commercials and consequently short attention spans, suited for sound bytes.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#40 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 6:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
I am assuming that if you know the steps to remove recolors, one at a time, then we know what to do to add them.
Deleting them was easy. Adding them, well, S3PE has the add button, but it adds empty(new). So, I don't know any way other than manually putting all the info in a new material. Now, if it copied the previous material, then adding would be easy. Is there a way to copy materials in the OBJD?

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#41 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 8:42 AM
S3PE has a "duplicate" option in the resource and context menu. So if you can get one resource of the correct type into your package, S3PE will copy it as often as you wish. Then you just have to edit the copies to give them the right instance numbers (right-click|details)

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#42 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 9:12 AM
I mean duplicating something inside a resource, like a material in the materials list. Duplicate works for this?

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
#43 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 9:29 AM
Lol I thought that's what you meant - I didn't know S3PE had a "new" for internal contents!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
#44 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 11:11 AM
Sorry to persist with this question but I still cannot figure out which of the xmls to export. Here is a screenshot showing all the information S3PE is showing me about those xmls:

I'm having a hard time figuring out from that information which of these is the one with the same name as the object. Do I have the settings on my S3PE set incorrectly so that I'm not seeing all the information I should be?

OM
#45 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 11:14 AM
It looks like you haven't yet renumbered those? Is that because you are using the two-pass method of cloning? Anyway I reckon you want to be working with the XML that has the same instance number as your VPXY.

Alchemist
#46 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 11:22 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 27th Oct 2009 at 12:11 PM.
I haven't renumbered them yet because I am assembling the information I need to complete each of the steps in the list that CMM posted above.

I am now at Step 4: 4. exported PaintingCars_xml. Wrote down original instance number.

But there are 5 xml.s in this object so I'm not sure which to export. I can go through trying each one but I figured it might take a lot less time if I just asked.

Thanks for your answer. I see the VPXY sitting there at the bottom of the list and sure enough, there is an xml with the same instance number.

OM

Edited to add:

I'm now to this step: Opened OBJD in grid. Opened Materials (this is where I deleted the last for recolours, leaving 2.

I clicked on the OBJD line and then clicked the grid button. A box popped up and I chose the Materials line. There was a small box at the right hand on this line that had a few dots in it. I clicked that and a new box popped up which appeared to list the materials. There were 6 there. I would like to delete the last four but I don't see a way of doing this. I tried the delete key and that didn't work. So I'm stuck again. Can anyone share the way to use grid to delete materials?

OM
#47 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 12:41 PM
On my copy of S3PE there is a Delete button at that level. I have just tried it out and it appeared to delete materials as one would expect? You're right though that the Del key doesn't do anything there.

Alchemist
#48 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 12:44 PM
Here's a pic of what I'm seeing. Am I in the right place?

OM
#49 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 1:18 PM
Ok - CONFESS!!! Do you have the latest release? :D

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#50 Old 27th Oct 2009 at 1:54 PM
...I'm not seeing all the information I should be?
OM

It looks like you don't have the Display: Name box checked, in an older version of S3pe. Also, the delete step isn't a required step. If you want more than one default you would want to change the other recolours instead of deleting them. But you're in the right place.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Page 2 of 4