Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#201 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Suza
:wave: Hello, I hope someone can help me.
I made now my first meshes, now I have an loveseat with 2 tiles, cushion and frame and I read here much about low poly and high poly and all. When I look at my loveseat it shows me this in

Simpe:
Faces = 1199
Vertices = 1692

Milkshape and UVMapper:
Faces = 1199
Vertices = 628

What is now the right and why is there such a difference and is this now high or low, I`m really very confused now. :shrug:

How much Faces and Vertices are low and how much high?

...and please if you explain, maybe you can do it in simple words, because I´m from Germany, sorry. :moose:

I'm not exactly sure on the difference in the vertices counts, but either way you are fine. It is recommend to stick to 800 per tile. As this is a 2 tile item, even if you go with the 1692, that only slightly over the 1600. What I normally do is look at the object I'm cloning from, and use that as my "poly budget".

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#202 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 4:57 AM
Default question
I don't know if it's the right place to ask, but I didn't see any post talking about it. high polygon meshes slow down the game, that's a reallity. but.....what about textures? last month, I made an experience: I had a very heavy downloads folder and I decided to clean packages, instead of only delete objects or bodyshops items. some of them were very heavy, and I didn't anderstood why.....
big surprise! I saw some really big PNG for objects, it was most of time a mapping pb. after remapping and reducing pictures, pakages were extremely smaller.....and they show better in the game, it seems to me.
the worst is for bodyshop items. sometimes, it goes really to far. I know creators want to show good textures, and reallistic.especially for hairstyle. at least, if there's extra PNG for different subsets, cleaning the packages for younger ages seems to be usefull. (thanks to Sanmoo, guppy, Sunair and the other one who take the time to do this).
on average, a hair package is about 600 ko heavy. after cleaning for that kind of packages, you can reach a 150 ko packages (when they are avalaible for teens and adults only for example). so what about packages that are 1.5 Mo heavy? with nine or more PNG? (the worst I have seen :3.24 Mo with .....23 textures for one color). and what about 1024x1024 PNG for hair texture? is that really usefull?
could someone tell me if there's nothing to worry about ? does this have an impact on game's performance?
I'm a "normal" gamer, with a "normal" computer and a "normal" graphic card, like most of gamers I think. i just want that playing sims stays funny. spending 20 min or more loading the game is quite boring sometimes....

ciboulette

P-S: sorry for my bad english,hope you'll anderstand lol.
Lab Assistant
#203 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 11:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SnowStorm
I'm not exactly sure on the difference in the vertices counts, but either way you are fine. It is recommend to stick to 800 per tile. As this is a 2 tile item, even if you go with the 1692, that only slightly over the 1600. What I normally do is look at the object I'm cloning from, and use that as my "poly budget".

Thank you for your answer, have I now a Low Poly object with the loveseat?
I made it smaller with this Direct X Mesh tool and also in the UV Mapper, more smaller I can´t make it, because then it´s no more good, then the object flicker in game. But this tool was a great help. :moose:
Lab Assistant
#204 Old 6th Jan 2006 at 9:43 AM
Thank you so much. I have blender, and the downloads from the site are crazy. There is this video cassette that I downloaded; you would think it has a million polygons. The faces stretch inside of the cassette. I think a box the same size of the cassette, with the same out side maybe, would suffice. Static-- non-miving. Thanks Delphy, you are great!

P.S. The blender interface is rather complex, so is gmax.
Test Subject
#205 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 1:28 AM
Since SimPE has been updated numerous times since this post, is there an updated tutorial on how to scan for Polycount? Because reading this thread has only confused me further, and none of the example screens look like the current version of SimPE.

Thanks!
Test Subject
#206 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 4:51 AM
I am having a problem with the download of the simpe.rcokl.zip package.
First I saved it to my desktop (not sure if I should have put it in my downloads folder)
Then I unzipped it and put it in my SimPE folder under Program Files/SimPE am I doing this right?
Finally I open up SimPE which is on my desktop and it will not open, it is saying that "SimPe will shut down due to an unhandled exception". I have gone to the site to find out what to do but all I'm ever told is to uninstall SimPE and completely delete the SimPE folder and reinstall. I have OFB.

Please help, I know I have tons of downloads with high polygon counts because now I can't even play on my favorite lot and i've moved my family so many times and it still does not help. I wonder if you have too many sims on one lot, if that would cause a problem, I have 8 residential sims (the parents are custom sims) and 3 DMA sims.
On a Radical Sabbatical :)
retired moderator
#207 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 5:09 AM
Hrm -- well you might want to ask your question over at SimPE's Forum if you're having technical problems with it.

At the moment we are trying to put our lives in order. But this is not an end in itself. Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us. -- The Big Book

I will be inactive indefinitely.
Blog
Test Subject
#208 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 5:26 AM
I'm asking it here because maybe I'm downloading it wrong and putting it in the wrong folder since it is Delphy's instructions and creation.
Instructor
#209 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 2:40 PM
The newest version has the poly count support built in. You should not use the files from this thread anymore. Uninstall SimPE and reinstall the latest version.

Test Subject
#210 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 3:40 PM
Thankyou SnowStorm,

I do have one other question, how do you find out the poly count. I had scanned my downloads using SimPE and it does not show the poly count, unless I not looking right.
Instructor
#211 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 6:33 PM
Do you have the newest version (0.56)? The scan folders has columns for vertex and face count.

Test Subject
#212 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 8:03 PM
Yes I do, I was looking for poly count, I guess face count is what I want to look at, I was told vertex count doesn't really matter, is that true?
Lab Assistant
#213 Old 19th Mar 2006 at 6:01 PM
i am shocked...
after reading this i filtered all gameobjects with Clean Installer and moved them to a seperate folder. then i opened all objects with simPE, when you click on "geometric data container" you can see how many faces and verticles the item has. i found some very high numbers there on some items.

examples: a shower i downloaded with over 50000 faces and 33000 verticles.
a wash basin with over 30000 faces and 20000 verticles.
some simple chairs with 10000 etc.

it was some hours of work but after deleting "the monsters" my game runs much smoother now and even loads faster. from today on i will check this always before putting new objects into the game. i just hate long loading times and decreased performance.
Page 9 of 9