Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 10:42 PM
Default self-employed band sims tips aren't registering O.o
So I have three adult vampire sims in my apartment. They are all in a band together so I registered on of the girls as self-employed band while the others are registered in medicine and movie. The girl I registered as self-employed for the band plays the keyboard. I took her down to the subway and had her play for tips. She made something like 3,000 simoleons in tips. The problem is non of that showed up towards her profession experience. I checked and it clearly states that money earned through gigs or tips should be going towards experience points. So what's up?

Anyone else have this issue? Does anyone know if the sim has to play a specific instrument or something like that?

It should also be noted I have no core hack mods or any mods that mess with careers at all. The only one I have is Twallan's story progression.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 11:27 PM
Subway tips are the only tips that don't count, for some reason. I think it might be because it's a "rabbit hole". As far as I know it has nothing to do with any CC or the type of instrument.
Test Subject
#3 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 2:09 AM
yeah my band has played 12 gigs! 3 more to go to complete gig master challenge. yeah.
i've done some xml tuning yesterday and currently testing how it works. i've played couple of hours yesterday, able to finish 3 gigs in 2-sims week! and there was an opportunity to play gig at RH and my band members received 11 000 simoleon and 1000++ celebrity points each. wow~
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 3:28 AM
My band played two gigs over a course of the sims' young adult->adult->elder lifespan.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 4:40 AM
Quote:
yeah my band has played 12 gigs! 3 more to go to complete gig master challenge. yeah.

I haven"t gotten any gigs. I've been wondering if it has to do with profession level. Did you notice you started getting more gigs after getting promoted to a level two band and/or up?
Test Subject
#6 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 12:54 PM
i only have one gig and im still waiting for an opportunity to come.. i don't know if this is considered as a bug but when i tried to move my sims out of the house because i want them to live near the city, they automatically disbanded. i moved them in the EDIT MAP view.. the prompt said that i will only loose the current opportunities and wishes of my SIMS so i accept.. after they moved to the new house i let them have a "jam session" then one of my sims have a wish to "form a band" when i check the instruments there is no band option. but there is a band history in my journal.

i read alot of complains about not having a gig... can you tell me how to make a gig?
i have 3 sims in the band... 2 have the band career and the other one is employed as a private detective...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hhunterr
i only have one gig and im still waiting for an opportunity to come.. i don't know if this is considered as a bug but when i tried to move my sims out of the house because i want them to live near the city, they automatically disbanded. i moved them in the EDIT MAP view.. the prompt said that i will only loose the current opportunities and wishes of my SIMS so i accept.. after they moved to the new house i let them have a "jam session" then one of my sims have a wish to "form a band" when i check the instruments there is no band option. but there is a band history in my journal.

i read alot of complains about not having a gig... can you tell me how to make a gig?
i have 3 sims in the band... 2 have the band career and the other one is employed as a private detective...

In my personal experience moving sims through the edit town can cause some issues. I'm not speaking for everyone mind you but I always do the move via phone and always always save my game before I move. To be honest there have been issues with both ways though so I would just say save save save.

I have gotten two gigs now but I guess one if you count that the first sim I got the gig through I encountered a bit of an accident *cough*. I thing the lack of gigs most be a non-bug bug... erm that is to say, I think EA wanted to make it realistic and hard to get gigs but I believe they went way overboard with it. There have been a lot of complaints about this here and on The Sims 3 site forums so I have a feeling it will be addressed in their next patch or someone will create a mod before too long.

Until then all I can think is keep working at getting your sims up in the band career through tips, get their stardom up, max their musical skills, and learn all compositions. I don't know if this actually helps any but it isn't like it'll hurt any either.
The other one
#8 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 3:53 PM Last edited by missroxor : 4th Nov 2010 at 4:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Everlast66
Subway tips are the only tips that don't count, for some reason. I think it might be because it's a "rabbit hole". As far as I know it has nothing to do with any CC or the type of instrument.

Two of my sims are in a band and their work experience meter is still at zero despite jamming for tips in clubs several times (no gig yet). Does anybody know of a mod in the works to fix this issue or do we have to wait for EA? I looked into it myself but I'm just trying to learn about modding and I think it's a job that requires someone with a bit more experience than none at all

Edit: Just realised aliydna said he/she is making one, derp! I think I need to go back to bed, it's too early and brain is obviously malfunctioning. Does yours fix the issue of all tips registering or just deals with the lack of gigs?

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Test Subject
#9 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 12:39 AM
For some reason I cant register my sim as self employed the option doesnt come up on the phone or the comptuer. She also has skill level 3 on the guitar.
Test Subject
#10 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 2:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Amaira
I have gotten two gigs now but I guess one if you count that the first sim I got the gig through I encountered a bit of an accident *cough*. I thing the lack of gigs most be a non-bug bug... erm that is to say, I think EA wanted to make it realistic and hard to get gigs but I believe they went way overboard with it. There have been a lot of complaints about this here and on The Sims 3 site forums so I have a feeling it will be addressed in their next patch or someone will create a mod before too long.

i already have 5 gigs now... it just happened after 3 weeks as an opportunity, two of my sims recieve a gig opportunity... then another gig came after a week... thanks for the advice
Test Subject
#11 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 1:00 PM
Default Making Tips
Is anyone else having trouble even making tips? I've spent hours "playing for tips", but all anyone cares about is taking pictures of my sim "playing for tips" and no one is listening to the music or tipping!! I can't get any job experience and I've had no calls for gigs, either. It's getting quite frustrating!
Test Subject
#12 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 1:42 PM
i've started a new game last night and a sim-day after he formed a band (2 members), he received and opportunity to play at RH. then after he completed he get another call to play at waylon's haunt.
the 3rd opportunity comes 3-days after he completed the previous gigs. so at average, 1 gigs per week, like my previous game.

so to be in band to make money is kinda hard! haha but as the band level up, the rewards is higher. maybe we can tune the rewards also. haha

so anyone interested in trying my tune, it's the link in my signature.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rpierce61
Is anyone else having trouble even making tips? I've spent hours "playing for tips", but all anyone cares about is taking pictures of my sim "playing for tips" and no one is listening to the music or tipping!! I can't get any job experience and I've had no calls for gigs, either. It's getting quite frustrating!

I think you just have to play a long time. My sim goes into the club, usually the Grind, at 8 at the latest. Then he plays and plays and doesn't start actually getting tips till one or two hours before the club closes at 4. Till then people just take pictures like you said.

If that would bore you having to let your sim just play for hours if you have another sim bring them along and mess with them while the other plays. I always bring my other sim with him to support her husband and to entertain myself while he plays :P.

Since my sim is a vampire I haven't tried places like parks yet. During the day I've been in the salon and consignment store a couple of times and got a few tips after several hours of playing. Clubs seem to be the best though. It does take time to get promoted still. Most tips I've gotten in a play session was at the Grind and it was like 400 I think...
Test Subject
#14 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 2:04 PM
haha i did get 500++ simoleons once, when the bar was packed with sims. see the thread about getting more townies.
usually they prefer to tips other player than me.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 2:23 PM
To earn tips, I always play alone. Cause when you're jamming with your band mates, sims will sometimes tip THEM and not you. Which means you'll never be getting anywhere. I wish that the tips given to your band mates while jamming together would count towards the career level thingy. It's rather illogical the way it is right now.

So I play for tips alone in front of the movie theatre every day. It always attracts a crowd and I've managed to reach level 6 in three days or so. I find it bothersome to jam in clubs and stuff cause it's not guaranteed that people will show up and even if they do, they'll just take pictures and ask for autographs. Grr.
Test Subject
#16 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 1:05 AM
Tips are largely based on how many times you perform songs for example: the songs you purchase at the bookstore. I got my sim up around songs performed 90 in my skills stats and I was getting around 200-300 a tip outside the subway, and making around 50k in the subway playing for 5 in game hours or so. Lvl 10 guitar, celeb lvl 5, band career lvl 7, I have a mansion in the hills and drive a Fresh Prince Ferrari props to FP on his vehicles. And I banked it all from playing for tips in the subway. I got a free hot tub, tv's, car, for being a celeb, but still only 1 gig at waylon's..... And the best spot I have found to up my band level is in front of the theater from about 5 or 6ish till midnight. When I reached level 5 band career it even told me I should start a tour???? Yet I cannot perform anywhere???? Only jam or play for tips!!!! Needless to say I stopped using that sim and started over as a photographer/writer until I can figure out how to get gigs.
Test Subject
#17 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 5:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rpierce61

Well, I started a new game, got 3 gigs and am making tips. Missed one phone call because sim would not stop current action in time to answer the phone. It was probably a missed gig call! If you miss a call for a gig, will they call back?! Also, I know this is probably a stupid question, but what does "RH" stand for? I've seen a couple of people mention playing there, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is! :-)
Test Subject
#18 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 10:16 AM
RH is rabbithole.
i've got an opportunity to play at movieset. lucrative rewards, but u cant see your band performing.
Test Subject
#19 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aliydna
RH is rabbithole.
i've got an opportunity to play at movieset. lucrative rewards, but u cant see your band performing.

Of course...RH is rabbit hole! I knew that! LOL! I haven't had any opportunities to play at rabbit holes, so it didn't register with me right off the bat! I did finally get a call for another gig and the advice about playing for tips outside the movie theater was great...made a ton of tips and leveled up that way!
Field Researcher
#20 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 8:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amaira
She made something like 3,000 simoleons in tips. The problem is non of that showed up towards her profession experience.

Just wanted to let you know that they released a patch today that *should* fix this problem