Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 6:19 AM
Default Mix usage buildings
Is it possible? I'd love to put a home into one of the bar high rises... or this really awsome consignment store I DLed here afew days ago.
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 7:18 PM Last edited by JustinJames : 1st Dec 2010 at 7:18 PM. Reason: Typo
The answer here is sort of yes, and no. I recently did a little project, using the Plasma 501 high rise, which is the tallest building in the game. I use AwesomeMod, and when configuring it, I Enabled the option that says "Don't Remove Items When Switching From Community to Residential" (and vice versa). So I started by making the lot Community. I worked on the lobby (which I made fairly big) first. I set up a nice little bar, and even set up a nice little "dining" area, complete with the Food Register. Once I was all done, I went into Live Mode for a bit. I waited until I saw NPCs show up at both the bar, and the Food Register. Once they appeared, I went back to Edit Town, and switched the lot to residential. I then built my Sims house on the top two floors of the building. When I was done, I had a FULLY WORKING High Rise apartment building (so far I have 4 random NPC sims living in the building as well), equipped with a Bar and Restaurant in the lobby!! I don't use that Sim as the active household, but when I go visit him, I always catch him eating down in the lobbies "restaurant" area. Lazy sim!! Cook your own food sometimes!! lol

So in short, using a mod, it's sort of possible, but it may not totally function the way you'd like!!
Test Subject
#3 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 7:30 PM
No...I don't think it's possible. :/
Field Researcher
#4 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 7:41 PM
That would have to make a lot be classified as both community and residential. The only way that can be created is by a new EP from Ea i believe.

"Just like to say, good luck, we're all counting on you" - R.I.P Leslie Nelsen <3

Check out my creations here ^^
Alchemist
#5 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 7:47 PM Last edited by varpunen : 1st Dec 2010 at 8:04 PM.
Actually you can but you need some kind of mod for that. I once stumbled upon this blog, which creator had turned that high rise dive bar Aquarius into a luxury home. I remember this person saying that mod was needed to make the mailbox and the carpage shute working. I tried to look for that page but I couldn't find it anymore. Sorry.

Edit: I found it. http://www.carls-sims-3-forum.com/i...p?topic=2297.50
Banned
#6 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 9:17 PM
Are my posts visible on this site? I explained how to do it. There is also a mod you can use to download the mailbox and garbage chute, but with the new patch, I believe they are now available via BuyDebug.
Scholar
#7 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 9:52 PM
Well, of course you can turn a bar into a home, but you can not have a bar and a home on the same lot.
Alchemist
#8 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 11:21 PM
Well, there's a high rise at the TSR by Jasper321, called Dizzy Heights. It has a gym and a bar on the ground level and apartment at the top. He does mention that it is a public bar. Don't know if it actually works, though.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 11:53 PM
I think you can sort of. If you edit a building's ground level and create a bar, you could add the 'public room' markers (from the debug menu) and it might spawn bartenders. It would still count as a house so random Sims won't just come over to use the bar, but I suppose Sims that are on the lot might use it.

I would test this myself but my game currently doesn't work because of the newest patch. Someone else could give it a try.
Theorist
#10 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 12:01 AM
From what I've heard public room markers don't seem to draw any sims :/

Hi I'm Paul!
Eminence Grise
#11 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 3:17 AM
Bars in high rise public rooms do not generate bartenders. Nor do they attract sims the same way community lots do, but if you have NPCs living in your highrise you will still get some foot traffic. The game won't see it as a bar for the purposes of wishes, opportunities and so on though, of course.

IMO if you want to "live" on a community lot, the best solution is to put living areas (beds etc) on the community lot, and assign your sim a tiny empty lot as their "official" home, ideally right next to the community lot they're actually going to be spending their time at. They'll get their mail at the "official" lot, but everything else they can do on the community lot. You will need a mod (Buzzler has one) to allow cooking on the community lot, but everything else is already allowed. I've used this method for firefighter sims, hairdressers and so on, but no reason you can't do it with a LN high rise club -- if you can find enough buildable space in the high rise shell you're using to put your sim's living quarters.
Banned
#12 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 3:35 AM
Sims do visit the bar in the lobby of my Sims high rise apartment. They also show up to get food, swim in the pool, take a dip in the hot tub, and play the piano. (Although no pianist has ever showed up) It is what you are looking for. Clearly half the people who posted here have no idea what they are talking about. But I have personally built the apartment, and did EVERYTHING myself. So I can assure IT IS POSSIBLE.
Test Subject
#13 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 4:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Get Away With Murder
No...I don't think it's possible. :/

I also think so.