Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#226 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 11:20 PM
Well, people do talk about it... you see "wcif that?" posts in threads a lot...

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#227 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 11:40 PM
since so many uploads containing "pay items" will no longer be made available for downloading, it sure gives an added benefit of freeing up space.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#228 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 12:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xproffesor23
now I have to deal with the mediocre recolors

Oh my god, another one.

What in the world makes you think you've got any right to this kind of attitude? The folks who run mts2 are providing a service to you, for free, and voluntarily. YOU are profiting from it. This is THEIR site here. Therefore, THEY are making the rules, and you can take it or leave it. Understood?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Top Secret Researcher
#229 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 1:20 AM
Quote:
tiggerypum said
Existing screenshots that had pay items in them will still be allowed on site.

Well I am glad, and I hope it will remain that way, because there's a lot of GREAT free items here displayed with *optional* pay items. It would be bad to remove them just because they have that piece of pay content on their pictures.

I am happy to hear that the new uploads will be 'clean', with 0% pay content, even on the pics. I think 'what you see is what you get' pictures will simplify things for downloaders.

I visit MTS2 a lot, as creator but as downloader too, and I have been to paysites after seeing their stuff in the pictures of some free content here. I didn't subscribe, and I won't, I'm not interested. I can't say that I haven't been tempted. But when I see a site charging, I'm like, is this THAT better than the other ones that I can get for free? my answer until now has been no.

I think the new rules are an improvement. 100% free content in the pics will show people that their game can be better with custom content, without them having to pay for it.
Lab Assistant
#230 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 2:15 AM
Thanks so much for this.
I will admit for a second I was on the fence about the rule that you can't have pay items in pictures at all but then I got to thinking about it. MTS2 is a free site and everything here is supposed to be free, and since lots of us are on budgets when you put even on pay item in your picture, sure its not needed for the download but it's kinda like telling a kid in candy store that everything is free except ... that one thing.

Sometimes the things you think you want the most turn out be those you need the least.
Test Subject
#231 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 3:22 AM
The biggest paysite is EA! Their STUFF packages are crap compared to most user made objects, yet I don't see anyone complaining about paying $20 for what you can get better for free or a whiole lot cheaper - even at paysites.

I hate this US against THEM attitude regarding paysites. If you want to create things and give them away - fine, but you don't have a right to condemn those who charge. It's extremely hypocritical when you pay $20 for an EA inferior STUFF-PACK.

Some people are able to pay their rent and/or feed their kids because of posting their creations on paysites...and THIS site, as great as it is (when it works) has issues primarily because it is not a paysite (bandwidth issues).

The Sims Resource NEVER has problems like the ones here. Why? Because they pay a premium price for bandwidth, which is offset by their paying members.

I love this site (when it works - which is becoming less and less frequently) like today. Sure I can LOOK at great free stuff - but try to download it!

I'd rather pay $2-$5 a month just to get better bandwidth so I CAN download without wondering - is MTS2 gonna work today?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#232 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 3:54 AM
Excuse me, but I am clear that Delphy did not say 'we hate paysites' in the site policy.

What the site policy is is moving more and more to 'what you see is what you get' (this is aside from whatever particular staff members feel about the issue) 'What you see in the screenshots is what you get in the download' has been and ongoing issue we've been addressing.

Now we're adding - 'what you see is something you CAN get' - which has to do with download shots that *feature* pay content prominently not doing so anymore. Because yes, people ask, and it is disappointing at best to find that the hair on the model is pay.

A small table in the background of a shot is not a big deal, but really, the screenshots are supposed to be about the clothing or whatever it is anyway. Yet people ask (and sometimes without even a comment on the clothing) 'Where did you get that hair'. People see, they'd like to get. We want to make that easy and clean.

MTS2 is free. We've made that commitment loud and clear. We're working on the downloading issues, and they will be better again, this goes in cycles.

And I will note that you (Symanteco) appear to not be a subscriber to MTS2. Good for you to complain about access and how you'll gladly pay TSR because they won't LET you have good stuff w/o paying - yet you feel that complaining instead of say, subscribing, is the answer here. Nice double standard.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#233 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 4:21 AM
tiggerypum,

Now that you've got all that out of your system...

I wasn't speaking about Delphy's post, but some of the responses.

As far as being a subscriber, I have no idea what you're talking about. I've been visiting this site for nearly two years and never saw anything about subscribing. I gladly donate to sites that I use frequently, and I believe I've donated to this site also.

I'm not knocking MTS2, just addressing some of the US against THEM attitude of some of the responders.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#234 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 4:30 AM Last edited by Canoodle : 26th Jul 2007 at 4:36 AM.
Go to the home page. There is a big blue button called "Donate". You can't miss it.
Here, let me help you-
http://www.modthesims2.com/donate.php

It costs quite a chunk of change to run this site. Anything anyone can contribute is always appreciated. Thanks.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
#235 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 4:44 AM
I've clicked it before and I'll click it again, because the site is well worth it, and though this is a FREE site, if users who use it a lot would support it - we could probably get rid of all these bandwidth/download issues.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#236 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 4:58 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 26th Jul 2007 at 9:16 AM.
Symanteco - people have all sorts of responses, as they do actually to _any_ site policy announcement. And the topics usually veer off some from the whatever the mts2 announcement is to topics that are only loosely related. At least MTS2 allows links to TSR, while they don't in return (with a shabby excuse).

The site used to have donate banners running frequently until we changed the ad layout. I know because I made some of them. I see Canoodle already gave you a link.

Just FYI, people who do choose to support the site financially with scheduled monthly payments get a that little gray simoleon symbol under their name, which is how I guessed you aren't donating (or not monthly at least) - while you said you would willing give $$ to TSR.

I think people can support the site in many ways, let me be clear. Being a good 'citizen' on site - helpful to other members, saying 'thanks' and such - that means a LOT. Seriously. More than $$, I want people working to make MTS2 one of the places they LIKE to visit, with creators and members who are helpful.

So don't think I'm all about money, I'm not. But when I see MTS2's commitment to equal free access for all called 'hypocritical', 'unrealistic' or 'inferior' to TSR or some other site, well then yes, I am going to put it out there. You value the site, you value the free stuff, and _if you can afford_ to support it, then consider doing so. Because it's worth it to you (as might be donating/subscribing to some other site.)

Anyway, I am glad that the downloads including the screenshots that present them will focus more on things that all our members can access. Because we are about that, letting people share their creations freely, and if MTS2 can also help folks find other free content (because we are not the only free site, lol), then I think it's great.

PS - I also spend time helping folks learn to make their OWN content, but that's not on topic for this site announcement either, although for me it is a big part of what mts2 is about.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Field Researcher
#237 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 4:59 AM
delphy, tig, and all the mods: i have the utmost respect for you. thank you for all that you do for the community!

Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Oh my god, another one.

What in the world makes you think you've got any right to this kind of attitude? The folks who run mts2 are providing a service to you, for free, and voluntarily. YOU are profiting from it. This is THEIR site here. Therefore, THEY are making the rules, and you can take it or leave it. Understood?

amen, plasticbox....these people should be glad i'm not a mod. let's just say that patience is not my strongest virtue.... lol

~ h e l a e n e ~
https://www.patreon.com/helaene (free)
Scholar
#238 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 5:46 AM
As a creator myself I am usually against any sort of restrictions, but these new rules are a great idea and I fully support them.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#239 Old 26th Jul 2007 at 9:15 AM
I think all the questions have been answered thus far, and peoples sentiments made clear.

If you want to discuss the whys, wherefores and other details about paysites then please join in the discussions on the Sims 2 Community: http://forums.sims2community.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Thanks to all who responded, either positively or negatively. I'm going to lock this now.

Regards
Delphy

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Locked thread
Page 10 of 10