Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#351 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 10:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Xix39
OK, after reading the last few pages, I went back to my packages folder and sorted it by date modified. I found 2 files from before Sims3 was released and deleted them. Started up the game and it still lagged. I then ran the Process Monitor as described in the post.

ONE file. ONE .package file showed up as being read and reread ad infinitum. I removed that file and restarted the game. Lo and behold, the lag was gone! ONE little file caused all that trouble. Unbelieveable.

I STRONGLY suggest that folks having lag issues read through the posts above and run Process Monitor. It takes about 5 minutes to perform the operation and is well worth the effort. Thank you SO much for that little program!

I saw that over on the bbs, the main cause of that is similar to sims 2, they are downloading stuff that has store content or other stuff that they don't have the mesh file for, I downloaded stuff for sims 2 and if you didn't go get the mesh for the hair you got a bald sim. We have to keep in mind that the bbs is full of a lot of youngsters and also new people to the game who don't know about cc, so that's kind of irrelevant. They are finding missing meshes when they see that

Quote:
I have no inclination to make a .package -> Sims3Pack convertor any more, since I don't believe this will actually solve anything.

It's just about giving them what they want and giving them the confidence in what they are downloading. Read through this thread for examples. If you don't want to do it, then you don't want to do it, I won't ask again, thanks anyway
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#352 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 11:31 AM
fluttereyes, "giving them what they want" isn't really the thing though - people want this becuase they think they need it. They don't.

It's up to the individual downloader to make sure that any downloads they put in thier game are 1) not TS2 content and 3) working ok. It's up to the creators to make sure that thier content works fine.

Considering that this issue is only happening to an extremely tiny small percentage of the total .package files out there, I think that the knee-jerk response of "put everything in sims3packs!" is just plain unneccesary.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
#353 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
I have also pondered doing a TS3 DDO that can scan your entire downloads folder and tell you if you have any TS2 or broken packages - similar to the original DDO.

That would be awesome! I used the original DDO for TS2 and loved it. LOL, it's actually a little premature to use the past tense. TS2 and DDO are both still on my computer I had already wondered if a DDO could be done for TS3 but had not asked.
Lab Assistant
#354 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Oh, that's interesting! Did you do anything different from what I posted (about a page ago), or how did you see those files? I wasn't able to see *any* packages being loaded, that's why I'm curious.

Hey, plasticbox. I did use the Activity Monitor.app and I did notice a few .packages files loading, differently from your results. I wondered if in Macs the .packages loaded only once weren't being displayed at all and that the display of one .package meant they were being loading in loop. So what I did was removing the files that WERE listed (a dozen or so) and the game loaded as if there wasn't anything on the Mods (what I mean: good and fast as the vanilla version did). Anyways, I'm still checking my CC.

I agree - guess it was fluttereyes - that a thread with a list of broken/bad CC could be useful both for users (not having to run tests in their computers themselves) and for creators (who can fix them, like lemoncandy, who had a few broken plants and already fix and upload them here).
Lab Assistant
#355 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 5:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
I have no inclination to make a .package -> Sims3Pack convertor any more, since I don't believe this will actually solve anything.

I will, however, as said, add in basic checking of the files to the Helper Monkey.

I have also pondered doing a TS3 DDO that can scan your entire downloads folder and tell you if you have any TS2 or broken packages - similar to the original DDO.

Thanks for the patient with us all, dumb users who get confused and put TS2 files in the TS3 folders. (insert ashamed moodlet here)

I would appreciate if you did a DDO for TS3. (Although I guess I can't be more thankful than I am already. :D)
Test Subject
#356 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jurocha
Hey, plasticbox. I did use the Activity Monitor.app and I did notice a few .packages files loading, differently from your results. I wondered if in Macs the .packages loaded only once weren't being displayed at all and that the display of one .package meant they were being loading in loop. So what I did was removing the files that WERE listed (a dozen or so) and the game loaded as if there wasn't anything on the Mods (what I mean: good and fast as the vanilla version did). Anyways, I'm still checking my CC.

I agree - guess it was fluttereyes - that a thread with a list of broken/bad CC could be useful both for users (not having to run tests in their computers themselves) and for creators (who can fix them, like lemoncandy, who had a few broken plants and already fix and upload them here).

I had the same experience last night. Was planning on comparing it to my process monitor results later after classes/work today.
Lab Assistant
#357 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 7:34 PM Last edited by jurocha : 3rd Dec 2009 at 8:14 PM.
More on Activity Monitor.app...

It seems it does make a difference whether you take a peek on the process while in Buy mode or Live mode. I must remind all of you I don't have any experience whatsoever in programming and therefore what I've just said can be pure bu7&sh*t. BUT the two following excerpts where taken from Activity Monitor App while in Buy Mode and while in Live Mod within less than 1 minute of interval between then AND with the same objects on the lot.

The buy mode-one doesn't list any .package at all.
The live mod-one list a few .package, but not all of the stuff in the lot.

Among the listed one were Crew numbered back-only, Awesims cushion set and 2 peggy hairs. What I also noticed was that the Awesims cushion (specifically the n5) is listed when the BlackOrchid roofbeams is present. But it's not when the roofbean isn't. The same doesn't work vice-versa. So... could there be any interactions going on?

First: While in Buy mode

Second: while in Live mode

I'm really sorry to say that, but I just don't feel like battling around with my game anymore. I would REALLY like to have all the CC back and before this all happened I was a .package enthusiastic. It seemed easier to install, uninstall, move around, organize. Now I'm not so sure.

I've read doll's post, saying that people are having problems with .sims3pack, that it allows CC without the proper meshes to be exported and uploaded to Exchange and the download of those could easily trash the game. I've also read the posts explaining the .sims3pack is just a wrapper and that a bad content could be wrapped but would still be bad (and therefore keep trashing the game as .sims3pack)... and I DO want keep believing that .packages are the best distribution way.

But my personal experience is that they cause lag.

If you have broken files or TS2 files mixed up, they cause a huge loading-time to the main menu, lot (sometimes crashing or not loading at all) and CAS and also a huge, unplayable lag in Live mode.

But, if you take the very bad ones, and even the ones "partially safe" (let's say the ones that doesn't cause the loading time problem, but are listed anyhow on the Monitor .app) they still cause a lag CAS. I, at least, kept facing it. (it wasn't a horrible one, was something someone could easily live with in fact, but the fact that it's just not there when there are only .sims3pack... well it bothers me)

No lag, in any of the phases, happen when I'm running without any CC (obvious) NOR when I'm running with .sims3pack only (now 839 MB).

So, I'm coming back to my best config... 839 MB of .sims3pack (patterns, objects and clothes) and 8 .packages ONLY (because I really can't live without Robokitty's tattoos and Aikea multifacial piercings or Body freckles).

Good luck for you all who are best simmers and will keep trying.
I'm a bad, lazy person and I will gladly suck your discoveries when/if you close this matter somehow, but my faith in .package is definitely shaken now.

EDIT: Edit for best phrasing and misspelling. Please understand that I admire people who will keep testing and experimenting with .packages. (And deep down I hope they will found the reason for any existing conflict and explain it for dumb users/occasional gamers like me to understand as well as make for us possible to go back using .packages without fear).

I do not want to cause a scene or start a crusade for .sims3pack. I'm just telling my experience and presenting the sad conclusion I took from it.
Test Subject
#358 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 7:40 PM
Has anyone figured a solution to the CC package issue. I just downloaded World Adventures, kept my package folder as well as my game folder. After installing the Sims3 and the WA expansion I put my package folder in the game, it would not start at all. I did some research on this on the web and found that for WA the packages seem to be an issue. I removed my package folder and the game came up w/o incident. Has their been any resolve for this issue just yet? Please forgive me if there has been a resolve and I haven't seen it yet, but there are soooo many pages to read through here on it. And what is more unfortunate, is the majority of all my hairs out package files and I just can not be without them
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#359 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 7:45 PM
edluver - If your game wouldn't start at all then it's a problem with specific files that probably aren't compatible. Anything mod-esque (core mods, XML tuning) needs to be removed and you need to delete your cache files. Package files work fine with WA - this is specifically about lag and stuttering when in-game. If that is an issue for you once you get the problem file(s) sorted out then you can use Process Monitor to figure out which specific file(s) are an issue for you after that.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#360 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 8:04 PM

Among the listed one were Crew numbered back-only, Awesims cushion set and 2 peggy hairs. What I also noticed was that the Awesims cushion (specifically the n5) is listed when the BlackOrchid roofbeans is present. But it's not when the roofbean isn't. The same doesn't work vice-versa. So... could there be any interactions going on?

Actually, some of the Awesims cushion sets were among the few files the Activity Monitor brought up for me too, if that helps. I remember being sad I'd have to delete them, since they were well-done.
Lab Assistant
#361 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 8:05 PM
One last thing: I noticed some .packages are listed as Documents while others are listed as .exe Unix.

Just wondering if some kind of "half-wrapper" in the package could make a difference.
#362 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 8:08 PM
Among the listed one were Crew numbered back-only, Awesims cushion set and 2 peggy hairs. What I also noticed was that the Awesims cushion (specifically the n5) is listed when the BlackOrchid roofbeans is present. But it's not when the roofbean isn't. The same doesn't work vice-versa. So... could there be any interactions going on?
Do the roofbeans[?] work correctly? I`m guessing that they`re asking for a missing resource that the pillows just coincidentally happen to supply, but in an unusable form. Ah, for that matter, do the pillows work correctly?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Lab Assistant
#363 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
Do the roofbeans[?] work correctly? I`m guessing that they`re asking for a missing resource that the pillows just coincidentally happen to supply, but in an unusable form. Ah, for that matter, do the pillows work correctly?

Yes, both of them work perfect in-game. I can place the roof as wanted and the cushions, that also have a kick interaction (I suppose they were cloned from the gnome) when kicked, move one tile further (but don't disappear or anything terrible like that)

EDIT: Just got the joke Director... beans, cotton and so. Well, I'm not a native english speaker and the mentioned beans were actually BEAMS. A roof structure by Black Orchid (http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=377001)

By the way, good joke. *g
#364 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 8:21 PM
Interesting. Even if they both work perfectly in-game simultaneously, it`s still *possible* that the roofbeans[?] are requesting a missing resource that the pillows just happen to supply. I couldn`t say how *likely* it is [rather un-, I`d expect], but it certainly is *possible*. One way to tell for sure is to open both packages up in a package editor and browse the resources they contain, the roofbeans for the resources they *use* and the pillows for the resources they *supply*.

Has anyone found any [other] similar pairs of unrelated objects that cause a Process Monitor hit on one when the other is present?

Edit: I *thought* it was a typo.
Edit: What joke? ::puzzled::

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#365 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 8:23 PM
jurocha: I don't seem to have any problem CC in the first place (I only have like 10-20 files, so that's not surprising) – I also never entered live mode.

One could try this to see if it lists more than ActivityMonitor: http://www.fernlightning.com/doku.p...fseventer:start
Here's a review: http://www.macworld.com/article/140.../fseventer.html

It has a list view too, not only the cluttery tree view. And can filter by process and so on. Seems to be donationware, I haven't tested, just googled.

That we don't see the reloading in OS X could also be due to the different OS, I think – the Windows game isn't reloading these files just for fun I would guess, but because they have some sort of problem. That problem could be the same in OS X too, even when it doesn't show the same symptom.

I don't think your CAS lagging necessarily has anything to do with the format of your CC, by the way. From what you say, you seem to *only* have CASpart packages, so naturally you'll notice the lag in CAS more when you have them in .. if the game isn't coded completely stupidly, it's not going to load all the skins and freckles in Live mode when they're not on screen. Also, CAS seems to be more memory intensive than "just" the game – I've had two or three crashes since I installed TS3, all of them in CAS, all of them because it ran out of memory. I have 4GB.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#366 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 9:07 PM
Any help with that Activity Monitor program?
It's still showing nothing. I've got the filters in correctly, I start the game, play for a bit, and it shows absolutely nothing.
Lab Assistant
#367 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector

Edit: I *thought* it was a typo.
Edit: What joke? ::puzzled::

We just missed an opportunity to do a great joke! Beans can be grown over a piece of wet cotton (in kindergarten children usually are told to do such "experiment")... (roof)beans are strangely related to cushions (cotton inside), like it seemed that the cushions were providing some "resource" for the beans...

*g
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#368 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 9:19 PM
Almighty dF: do you mean ActivityMonitor? Or Process Monitor? Or fseventer?

Asking because ActivityMonitor doesn't really have any filters .. what OS are you on?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#369 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 9:28 PM
Almighty dF: do you mean ActivityMonitor? Or Process Monitor? Or fseventer?

Asking because ActivityMonitor doesn't really have any filters .. what OS are you on?

I meant Process Monitor, and I'm on XP.
Lab Assistant
#370 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 10:04 PM
jurocha: I don't seem to have any problem CC in the first place (I only have like 10-20 files, so that's not surprising) – I also never entered live mode.

I don't think your CAS lagging necessarily has anything to do with the format of your CC, by the way. From what you say, you seem to *only* have CASpart packages, so naturally you'll notice the lag in CAS more when you have them in .. if the game isn't coded completely stupidly, it's not going to load all the skins and freckles in Live mode when they're not on screen. Also, CAS seems to be more memory intensive than "just" the game – I've had two or three crashes since I installed TS3, all of them in CAS, all of them because it ran out of memory. I have 4GB.

I don't mean to contradict you, plasticbox. Specially because you're right when it comes to the amount of files that I have as .package: they're mainly CASpart. But I must add they're not *only*: I also have loads of deco/clutter.

When doing the tests I created a couple using as many CASpart as I could (one male - piercings, different peggy hairs per outfit, only CC clothing; one female - 2 tattoos, different xm hairs per outfit, only CC on clothing, pantyhose) and them moved them to an empty lot. On the empty lot, I built a wall and filled both sides with Sims Art Gallery paintings, I placed all the Awesims cushions and the garage clutter on the floor.

Came back to the Monitor App, took the first peek.

Get back to the game. And them I made a queue of 3 actions for each of the characters. Got back again to the Monitor.

So... yes, my CASpart lag is possible related to the amount of CASpart I have. The question is: if I take all the sims3pack and let the .packages only, I still have this lag (did it during my first try after installing), but I don't remember experiencing the same problem the other way around (I have as much CASpart as sims3pack as I have in .packages).

Anyways, I'll try doing that again! Taking all the sims3pack and putting only .packages on game.
Lab Assistant
#371 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 12:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coconno3
I ran the process monitor and found 5 packages (all female clothing):

Adidas Sports Bra. package

Weird. I have this and my game runs fine with it in.
Test Subject
#372 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 12:40 AM Last edited by wanderlight : 4th Dec 2009 at 2:33 AM.
I didn't even complete loading S3 after the first few minute of grind but ended it in Task Manager.

Process Monitor showed Awesims cushions and a set of wall patterns which I now suspect are S2. Took them out and away the load went at its former speedy clip. My Mods folder is just CC, 72 folders containing 657 files, 353MB in all.

Originally Posted by jurocha
"What I also noticed was that the Awesims cushion (specifically the n5) is listed when the BlackOrchid roofbeams is present. But it's not when the roofbeam isn't.....

I do not have Black Orchid's roof beams but Awesims cushions were a problem for me.

I had Awesims original cushion file.
The site now has "saz_Awesims_Cushion_Set_1(Fixed)". This file isn't causing any problems with loading and the cushions are working well in game.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#373 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 7:44 AM
wanderlight: Do you still have the original non fixed awesims cushion set? I'd be interested to compare the original with the fixed one to see what changed.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#374 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 8:25 AM
Default Since I made them, I can tell you what happened with the cushions
I had originally made them in the TSRW, and I forgot to change the descriptions, so I figured oh I'll just open them in S3OC and change that and it'll be sweet. Apparently not! So teh fixed set is just straight out of TSRW.

This should be the original package
http://www.mediafire.com/?czceuzh2yx1

Free downloads by me at AweSims | www.sixty-ten.net
Test Subject
#375 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 9:55 AM
Dont suppose anyone has the red town syndrome in WA, the clouds in my town went red and made the whole town red, also i had a black pooling problem where there seemed to be pixilated pools of nothingness and all the sims in the town were the same... Well anyway after deleting all my cc it still didnt work untill finally i discovered it was the actual resource file, my my game runs fine except with no cc... My hatered for EA has just gone thru the roof now, I understand you cant keep everyone happy, but when 70 pecent of your fan base use cc you are really gonna piss alot of people off and yet again EA have some how managed to do it... Maxis would have never done this to us.
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Fixes found and made into FAQ - please make a new thread if you have further questions/issues.
Page 15 of 26