Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 4:48 PM
Default Ginger and food : recipes wanted
Sorry, it's not about cheese or "cheese" , but it is about food. I tried this kilo of ginger powder I bought last week. It's truely strong and vivid. So, I am thinking of recipes for ginger. It can be anything from ginger tea to some massive piece of entree. How have you used ginger recently?

Just today I tried a coconut tilapia recipe that required a bit of ginger.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 8:23 PM
Why aren't you sharing? I would love to see a recipe for coconut tilapia with ginger. I LOVE ginger.

Real ginger is a vital ingredient in stir fries and curries. I'll post something soon since I am a fanatic for this taste. But for now...dried ginger flavor:

Try this winning combination: Spread Speculoos over ginger snaps. Such delicious decadence.

For ginger snaps, I like a brand that is out of Pennsylvania, USA called Stauffers. They're made with red pepper Speculoos is a cookie butter made from spice type cookies. (For those in the US, you can find it at Trader Joe's under their own label.)

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#3 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 8:24 PM
I made chicken stir fry the other day, just some ginger, honey, cilantro, apple cider vinegar, (as I didn't have rice wine vinegar) and some big chunks of onions and carrots. There's always ginger snaps and ginger bread too.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 9:14 PM
Most recently I've made some chicken with coconut juice, pineapple, green curry, ginger and tomatoes. If the powder is strong and vivid, I'd make some ginger ale.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 9:17 PM
To get your mood started, here's the ginger tilapia.. It was originally a recipe for mussles (the shellfish, not your brother's arm).
in a few tablespoons of oil, fry garlic, chili powder, and a vegetable medley. Maybe onions if you like them. It's like a few teaspoons of each spice, maybe the little the better. Add 1 cup coconut milk and heat until it's thick. Add thawed tilapia pieces, as they heat flip and stir. Before the fish finishes cooking, add enough ginger to please yourself.. I went heavy on ginger, about three tablespoons. Flip the fish and make sure that stirs in.
After cooking, the ginger was strong, provided a gold color to the sauce, and it seems a dash of salt helps this recipe.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 9:24 PM
TortureTheNannies, try fresh ginger if you can. You'll be amazed at the flavor. Peel and chop or slice it, then sautee it along with the garlic. Real ginger is almost a different animal from powdered.

Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 10:42 PM
I've had the roots, but they're expensive this year. One of my favorite recipes is a Philippines health tea. A slice of ginger root, a small amount of honey and boiling water. let the root steep in the coffee cup. It's supposed to be as healthy as it is flavorful.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 13th Sep 2012 at 5:26 AM
Get some of these cookie cutters and make ninjabread men!

I have only ever used ginger powder in sweet things. There are lots of delicious savoury dishes that contain ginger but I would only use fresh ginger in them.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 13th Sep 2012 at 10:38 AM
I wish they had that when my son was still taking karate lessons. One year, we celebrated an anniversary that the founders of the dojo had been practicing karate. I baked round cookies and carefully iced them to look like yin/yang symbols. That was a ton of work and used a weird food color to create the dark side. I've seen people do simpler versions since, but - oh! - if I had only had those!

Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Sep 2012 at 12:33 PM
I like the ryhme between ginger and ninja.. but they need to have red hair, as people have called them "gingers".. makes no sense to me.
Test Subject
#11 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 8:56 AM
If you REALLY and Truly want to utilize ginger in a profound way, Trying Moroccan cuisine, Ginger, Paprika, Tumeric...central spices there.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 5th Oct 2012 at 5:59 AM
Have I shared this recipe, yet? It's not a ginger recipe, but would not be what it is without the fresh ginger in it. We make a variation of this by sauteeing up some firm tofu in a little oil and adding it to the eggplant. There are never leftovers of this dish: http://browncatbakery.blogspot.com/...p-eggplant.html