Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 12:12 AM
Bathtubs crash GF's game!
Since my GF is having trouble making an account (old comp, bad net), I'm posting on her behalf.
Her problem is that whenever she buys a house or apartment with a bathtub, her game crashes. It doesn't crash if she previews the house before opening it, but it also won't give her the chance to jump straight to buy mode to replace the tub with a shower.

She doesn't have any mods, but she does use the Pets, Supernatural, Into the Future, Ambitions, World Adventures, Late Night, Seasons, and University expansion packs, as well as 70s, 80s, 90s stuff, and Movie stuff.

We'd like to figure out what's wrong with her game so that we might be able to fix it.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 10:26 AM
Can't say I've heard that one before. Try moving (cut/paste) the Sims 3 folder in My Documents somewhere else on your hard drive (like the Desktop) and run the game again. Maybe you have a corrupt installation?

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Site Helper
#3 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 2:14 PM
Or possibly some bad CC, although what would affect all bathtubs is an interesting question. Then again, EA has proven that the game is complex enough that the relationship doesn't necessarily have to make sense.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Alchemist
#4 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 3:32 PM
OP, how do you know it's specifically houses with bathtubs? Maybe it's something else that's making the game crash.
Needless to say, if you have custom content, take it out of the game and reload.

Also, you mentioned she has an old computer. What are the specs? Memory is most important here. Maybe all the EPs and SPs she has installed are too much for her computer, and she'll have to uninstall some. I know mine didn't like Into The Future at all (and I wasn't particularly torn about uninstalling it either).

There are a few tricks to managing TS3 when it comes to memory:
- enabling Data Execution Prevention (guide);
- checking for bad custom content using Process Monitor (guide);
- not playing for extended amounts of time, avoiding the extensive use of Build/Buy Mode and CASt;
- closing any non-vital programs while running TS3;
- keeping Task Manager open and monitoring TS3, saving and reloading the game when it begins to hog too much memory.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 5:40 PM
Quote:
possibly some bad CC

Quote:
if you have custom content

She has no CC, it's all vanilla unless you count packs. She can't download anything, at all.

Quote:
how do you know it's specifically houses with bathtubs?

"Because it's only houses with bathtubs that I have this problem with. No other house crashes my game. And I can't even go and remove it, because if I have it open for even a moment, and it has a bathtub, it crashes. Shower tubs are fine, bathtubs are not. It's not the action of taking a bath, it's the bathtub itself." - girlfriend.

Quote:
you mentioned she has an old computer. What are the specs?

As of this morning, the computer won't even open the log in screen, so finding that out is sort of impossible at this time, I guess.
Alchemist
#6 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mizuki_Ukitake
"Because it's only houses with bathtubs that I have this problem with. No other house crashes my game. And I can't even go and remove it, because if I have it open for even a moment, and it has a bathtub, it crashes. Shower tubs are fine, bathtubs are not. It's not the action of taking a bath, it's the bathtub itself." - girlfriend.
As of this morning, the computer won't even open the log in screen, so finding that out is sort of impossible at this time, I guess.

Sorry to hear about that. At this point, I think the computer was on its last leg and the bathtubs were the final nail in the coffin.

Instructor
#7 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mizuki_Ukitake

1. Try to move the Sims 3 Docs folder to desktop and launch the game, it will creates new TS3 folder in your documents folder. After the game launched, quite the game from the opening menu.

2. Open your previous TS3 docs folder (the one at your desktop), copy your Saves, SavedSims, Library folders, DeviceConfig and Options.ini files, and paste them to your new TS3 docs folder in your documents folder.

3. Relaunch the game, open your previous game or start a new one.

4. If the problems still occurs, try it with "edit town", click the house your GF wants to buy, remove the bathtub, go back to live mode and buy the house, your GF can buy the bathtub again after she owned the house.

5. If everything is good now, just delete your old TS3 docs folder at your desktop, your GF won't need it anymore