Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#101 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 12:20 AM
Ok, I just had a slightly strange occurrence a long time married couple shared a little hello peck and both of them got memories of kissing themselves for the first time. That can't be good.
I know it's a bad thing if you have a memory of meeting yourself but I've never seen this before.

Anyone know if it's just a weird little glitch or something more serious?
Advertisement
Scholar
#102 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 5:36 PM Last edited by Night Racer : 11th Mar 2012 at 1:12 AM.
I know outright deletion of tombstones is bad, but is moving one to another lot bad?
Ive sent 3 or 4 tombstones from my sims lot to another lot (3 to Gothier Green Lawns in downtown and one to love hedge maze park in Downtown also) And I alted to another sims house im playing and her 2 daughters had no wants or fears and didnt roll new ones when they woke up for school in the morning. The one daughter eventually rolled 2 wants and 2 fears when she came home from school, but the others were still blank. Her sister still has none. Is this bad? :I

EDIT:Thanks to Simsica for mentioning the HoodChecker down below; I completely forgot I had it. So I scanned my neighborhood, and found boatloads of invalid relations and memories with selfs, a few with my active sims im playing. (How the hell...?) So I removed them and hope that fixes the problem. This was a custom made, only about 2 week old neighborhood made with empty templates, so I was surprised it see so many errors in the list :I
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 6:32 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mootilda! I'll be using the cleaned up version of Pirripirri for the new neighbourhood I'm starting. Now that I have to start over, the question arises if the inhabitants of Pirri Beach are beyond salvageable. Is there really no chance to rescue at least some of them? :/

DasRabennest

~ You can't prove courage without fright ~
Scholar
#104 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
Ok, I just had a slightly strange occurrence a long time married couple shared a little hello peck and both of them got memories of kissing themselves for the first time. That can't be good.
I know it's a bad thing if you have a memory of meeting yourself but I've never seen this before.

Anyone know if it's just a weird little glitch or something more serious?

Those are bugs - since Uni. As far as I know.
What I do in situations like these is use Batbox to delete gossip from all, in case the memory got spread around. Then in SimPE delete all self-memories from all the affected Sims. Use Hood Checker too, after you're done.
Of course, back up before attempting this.
Site Helper
#105 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DasRabennest
the question arises if the inhabitants of Pirri Beach are beyond salvageable. Is there really no chance to rescue at least some of them? :/
You can extract your sims appearances and re-create them in the new neighborhood:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...elp:Moving_Sims

You can then use SimPE or in-game mods to add back relationships, family ties, and important memories.

That FAQ also gives a second option: clean and package your lot, then test test test to make sure that it's not corrupt. Even then, there's no guarantee that the lot isn't corrupt.
Alchemist
#106 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 4:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
You should try to install a patch, it doesn't sound like your game was already prepatched. The AL patch has fixed the cellphone bug for me.
Thanks for the info everyone. I downloaded the patch, but didn't get a chance to check it, because I screwed up. I was moving a family and accidentally used the button to move the lot into the bin. I loaded the back up, but when I ran the game, some of the Sim's talk bubbles had squiggly lines in them.
Test Subject
#107 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 8:21 PM
Yeah, I have done a couple bad things here and there. I've never had any major problems, just a couple weird glitches. And remember, no matter how much you love the sims 2, and no matter what happens to it, it's just a game. The worst that can happen is that you have to reinstall.
Mad Poster
#108 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 10:09 PM Last edited by gazania : 25th Mar 2012 at 2:17 AM.
Yup ... agree with you there, funkygirl. When I had to do my first reset because of the dreaded $Subject bug (Sims kept disappearing, and any memories of them had $Subject instead of their names ... in short, a very, very bad thing game-wise), I thought it would be so awful. I'd had this Pleasantview for three years, and got used to so many of the characters. But once I hit that final "delete" and built a new neighborhood, I found out it wasn't all so bad. I learned many new tricks since I first started my neighborhood, such as replacement face templates. And it's not often you can resolve your mistakes by simply deleting them! And if I truly regretted the reset, I could resort to my backup. I've done three resets since then (two were necessary), and will probably do at least one more this year, and I have never returned to my backup files.

Edited to add ... also, if you see the end is near, you can clean up and package those houses you worked so hard on, clone a few sims, etc. You can always pretend there was some sort of horrid incident that wiped out most of a neighborhood, and only a few Sims survived, but they now have amnesia. That's what my daughter and I did with our second reset. We had to do it ... just too, too many glitches because of past sins.

And no, doing those "bad things" do not necessarily mean your game will be toast in five minutes. It can take those five minutes, or it can take years. You can either decide to start everything over again, or enjoy your current Sims until the day they go wonky or you get bored with them ... your choice.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Lab Assistant
#109 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 2:44 PM
I just wanted to pop in again to thank all users that helped in this thread esp. Mootilda. Another thanks goes out to keef1973 who PMed me and was so open in the process of fixing Pirri Beach that I just have to mention it here. Another big thank you goes out to RebaLynnTS who helped me keep track of the Sims (with the SimTracker) so I knew everything I had to know about them when recreating some of the Inhabitants. Thanks a lot!

After downloading the fixed Pirri Beach and partially recreating (just by SimSurgery, I was too afraid to fiddle with SimPE. I'll just pretend it's them) it's inhabitants (plus adding a few more for the ones that storywise died in the eruption of Mt. Vezz ) I'm enjoying my game once again without too many worries. It'll take some time to get back to real generations of Inhabitants but it's definitely worth it. Now I'll do my very best to not corrupt the thing myself. :D

This community is absolutely great, without you all my game wouldn't be half as much fun.

DasRabennest

~ You can't prove courage without fright ~
Field Researcher
#110 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 5:14 PM Last edited by StarlightBeauty : 30th Mar 2012 at 5:32 PM.
I don't know about anyone else but I have a phobia of glitches and errors.
I messed up 2 of my games, (I had to buy them again the first time [when pets first came out I think you weren't able to redownload on another computer?] ) Anyways, I'm on my third one. Here's some things I did. (Warning, long post)
1. First time, I was under age requirement for sims 2, and I saw a pets ad and thought it was cute. (Which it is one of the best expansions in my opinion). I messed up all the neighbourhoods by carelessly playing. One of the most dominant memories of the first time I played Sims 2 was that I was playing the Pleasant household, went to the park. Angela was supposed to come but maybe there were capacity issues, I don't really remember. She didn't. Daniel, Mary Sue and Lillith went to the park for a very long time. Lillith befriended a dog. I had the family go home. On the loading screen Angela disappeared completely. I was freaked out and was begging the loading screen to load faster. When they got home, I saw Angela's urn in her bedroom where she was. Since she was transparent I guess she died of Starvation (which seems a little odd) I had NO mods at this time, didn't even know how to use boolprop. Well, that night Angela haunted the house, The stove caught on fire, appliances broke, so I figured "I'm getting them out of here". Needless to say my first simming experience was like a nightmare alive to me (I also have a phobia of ghosts. Why is another story completely, so I'm not going into detail about it.) Then on Veronaville I played the Summerdream family, and when it was Bottom's time to grow up into a teen, she would ALWAYS die. The grim reaper would call saying "Hello, is Bottom there?" even if you said no, he would call repeatedly until she answered, then she would die. Don't know what happened there, I ended up reinstalling cause I missed Angela, only for my first computer to die before I could play again. I do also remember my male sim in one household completely disappearing without a trace, he was cut from the family tree and memories with his name were replaced with "simoleon sign subject"
2. Most messed up one. Firstly, I always left boolprop on. Sims died of unknown causes. Then I added a bunch of npc's to a household (Good witch cat, witch doctor, therapist, etc) Which... caused the lot unplayable. I could not save my vampire sims, they were stuck in that lot constantly resetting. I killed off Witch Doctor and Good witch cat. I also experimented forcing npcs to come. Bad idea. Then I tried using inTeen which completely deleted one of my neighbourhoods (though I can't really blame it) because all the teens and adults wishes were replaced with blue squares. Never heard of a backup. My second computer died also.
3. Currently playing this one. I hope nothing bad happens, I bought every expansion pack and stuff pack except for Glamour Life, Bon Voyage and Freetime.
I use resources a lot so yes, I do know somethings. Don't add npc's to your house if you don't know if they are safe (townies are okay, search for a thread titled "npc's that are safe to marry" on the 3rd page read Mootilda's post), Don't delete tombstones, Don't move occupied houses to the bin, don't delete pre occupied houses/ sims from sim bin, don't resurrect the premade sims, don't mess around in SimPE without a tutorial and backups, don't edit global NPC code (Mrs. Crumplebottom, Grim Reaper etc) this includes turning them into another life state.

"What could I do? What should I do? What could I... what should I... It's not like I'm crying or anything! I love you!" ~Love Is War
Mad Poster
#111 Old 7th Apr 2012 at 11:59 PM Last edited by gazania : 8th Apr 2012 at 12:12 AM.
... Or maybe a PM wasn't a good idea. I'm not sure. My apologies to the person I PM'd. If I am out of line here, or not following any rules, PLEASE let me know.

Here is my situation: There is a certain site affiliated with this one

Perhaps as those of you familiar with the other site, it's pretty deserted. No one's posted much there at all, and many questions have been unanswered. Not anyone's fault ... just one of those things, and I believe that the site is under an administrative overhaul. So I'd be reluctant to post a question there, even if I could, considering that questions posted there have been unanswered for months ... sometimes longer. Also, the object creator hasn't visited that site in years. Literally. He/she might have retired from Simming entirely. He/she was a highly-regarded creator here and there for many years.

The remeshed object was based on an EA object already in-game. Apparently, the creator could not remove the thought bubbles for the object. He/she was aware of it, and posted that. So the memories are trying to access a Sim that doesn't exist; hence, a "squiggly line" memory. This does not appear to affect Sim memories, and does not create new ones. If a creator, in effect "forces" a squiggly memory bubble, would that corrupt the game? This is not a spontaneous memory caused by player or game error. This was a deliberate "memory" from a modded object, based on an EA object (I guess this might be similar to certain items here based on the remote-controlled car?) that was due to the limitations of the game.

This was a featured download back in 2006. Tens of thousands have downloaded it without incident. Were people aware of squiggly lines/corruption issues back then? I would think that if this object was causing problems, it would have been removed promptly. I can't imagine any site affiliated with MTS being permitted to host potentially-problematic downloads, or that ANY problem download would be permitted to hang around for six years!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Page 5 of 5