Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 6:23 AM
Default Question on Container Files (.package, .sims3pack, etc.)
Hello!

I'm planning to do a "redo" of @granthes 's CC Magic... but in my own style.

The planned tool will have the following features:
  • More flexible grouping -- instead of a hierarchical tree like the current CC Magic where an "Entity" (that's my term for any script / tuning / object) can be part of only one "Set", my tool will allow many-to-many membership (a Set contains many Entities, and an Entity can be part of multiple Sets)
  • Replaceable thumbnails -- thumbnails will be extracted and stored into a database, but user can override it with one's own thumbnail
  • Ability to specify different "Priority" to different Entities -- allowing proper "Overriding" or "Testing/Probation"
  • And hopefully, less buggy "Collections" support

Currently, I'm designing the databases (SQLite3) to hold the metadata about the Containers, Entities, and so forth.

I need to verify if I got the following right:
  • .sims3pack files can contain: Images + .package files
  • .package files can contain more than 1 'entity' (?)
  • .package files must NOT contain another Container
  • .sim files are basically .package files containing information about a sim, and nothing else, and it must live inside the "SavedSims" folder (?)

So, do I have the above right?

PS: I'm open to suggestions on wanted features, though I can't promise that I'll implement it. But I'll try!

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 11:12 AM
[*] .package files can contain more than 1 'entity'
Yes, they can.

[*] .package files must NOT contain another Container
Yes, they must not.

I'm open to suggestions on wanted features
Portability. Or at least add an option to specify the path where the game is installed
(if needed) and where the Mods directory is, instead of getting those info from the registry.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 2:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arsil
[*] .package files can contain more than 1 'entity'
Yes, they can.

They can? Omigosh, I need to rethink my parser.

Any link to .package file structure?

(Should've asked this first, my bad)

I'm open to suggestions on wanted features
Portability. Or at least add an option to specify the path where the game is installed
(if needed) and where the Mods directory is, instead of getting those info from the registry.

Definitely!

I'll of course try pull the 'defaults' out of the registry, but the path would be eminently changeable.

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Inventor
#4 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 2:39 PM
If I understand what you mean with "entity", then yes.
No wonder S3PE can merge/import the content of many .package files into one.
.package file format: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:DBPF
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 2:52 PM
If I understand what you mean with "entity", then yes.
No wonder S3PE can merge/import the content of many .package files into one.
.package file format: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:DBPF

*Slaps head*

Yeah, you're right.

Okay, I'll rethink the parser. Luckily I'm still in prototyping stage, so changes are piece of cake.

Thanks for reminding!