Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 5:12 PM Last edited by Epic Dolphin : 23rd Aug 2015 at 3:53 AM. Reason: More information I should add

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Sims 3 not starting AT ALL
Hi MTS, I'm having a bit of a problem with my game, so I'll try to explain it in as much detail as I remember...

So I've wanted to use CAW for quite some time, and I realised that the issue was that I had the 'Go Social' version of the base game (base game and all EPs/SPs installed with Origin). I purchased a copy of the old non-Go Social version on eBay, and it was legit (I used the serial code successfully on thesims3.com so an unlicensed/cracked version of the game is not the issue). I backed up all my TS3-related folders (at least from Documents\Electronic Arts), and uninstalled JUST my base game (which was fully patched). I installed the old version from its disc and chose all the recommended settings, and it seemed to install normally. I then replaced the folders the game automatically generated with my old ones, so I still had my save games/mods. I then tried to run the game, and got a popup saying: "Sims3Launcher has stopped working" (image attached). I tried with the disc in the computer, with it out, launching through Origin, using autorun from the disc, and I always get this message - nothing loads, not even the launcher!

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Edit: Also trying to load Create-A-World results in the same issue, as does starting the EPs in Origin.

Some things I think could possibly be issues are:
1. version incompatibility between the base game and EPs/SPs since I only uninstalled the base game?
2. something is different between the Go Social and the non-Go Social's Documents\Electronic Arts folders when I replaced the game folders that is confusing the game?

I don't know much about programming things, so these are just uninformed guesses...
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 8:29 PM
Did you test the game before replacing the usert files with the old ones? If you did and it worked fine, then it's something in your user files. Also, sometimes your save game files won't work without the EP's they were originally made with. Did you try to remove the "missingdeps.idx" file from the DCCache folder to see if that helps? There's also Crinrict's suggestions: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2014/0...er-crashes.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
Did you test the game before replacing the usert files with the old ones? If you did and it worked fine, then it's something in your user files. Also, sometimes your save game files won't work without the EP's they were originally made with. Did you try to remove the "missingdeps.idx" file from the DCCache folder to see if that helps? There's also Crinrict's suggestions: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2014/0...er-crashes.html

No, I restored the folders that the game generated on installation and that didn't help, nor did removing "missingdeps.idx", nor does entirely renaming all related folders - it just gives the error message and nothing is generated...

I think I'll try uninstalling everything then reinstalling... maybe that'll fix it?

Edit: Just remembered you can repair games with Origin; I'm doing that with all my EPs and SPs right now... I will update once that finishes
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 12:20 AM Last edited by Epic Dolphin : 18th Aug 2015 at 1:50 AM. Reason: It did work!!!
Quote: Originally posted by Epic Dolphin
Edit: Just remembered you can repair games with Origin; I'm doing that with all my EPs and SPs right now... I will update once that finishes

Nope, that didn't work... But isn't repairing games the same as redownloading and installing?

Edit: After inserting the disc and repairing my EPs and SP, autorun works!! Will be testing to see if launching through Origin works with the CD in...

Edit #2: Yes it works launching through Origin! I still don't know what the issue was, but repairing the EPs and SP fixed it for me!!
Alchemist
#5 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 8:38 AM
That's good to hear.