Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 11:57 AM Last edited by Loolitah : 26th Jul 2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Inserting image
I can move it but not as shown.
This is what I could do.

I guess I should move it in a way that it would overlay the other half and "disappear", they both would look like one half circle, am I right?
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#77 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 12:27 PM
Which step are you attempting at this point?
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 1:31 PM
I can't get to this
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#79 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 5:46 PM
OK, you have selected the correct half to do step 9, actually. Delete those vertices selected and you can then proceed.

I see where you got confused, the .pdf have some typos and missing information. Sorry about that. I've done some corrections in the wiki version here http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?t...G_SectH1_Cycle1 that pertains to the section you're currently at.

But, just to point out again that this section does not reach the end-game of making a new table. I included it, as it is a good way to get your feet wet in using Milkshape for those like me who had never meshed before. Cycle2 pages would provide you the steps to do the table.
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 9:32 PM
Thank you so much again! Great tutorial, very sweet from you to share it ;D
I'll try that!
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#81 Old 4th Aug 2010 at 10:43 PM
Thank you for writing this all-in-one! I will try it this weekend. There are a lot of things I'd like for my TS3 game that I haven't found. YIPPEE!
Forum Resident
#82 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 7:42 PM
HELP Please - I've got to step E of the tutorial, but I don't know what to open in s3pe. Which package file do I open? Where is it?

Sorry for being really stupid, but I really want to edit an object and I can't work out what to do
Alchemist
#83 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 11:18 PM
Step D of the tutorial directs you to clone an object. During that process you should have gotten a pop-up box which allowed you to navigate to the folder where you wanted to save your package (when you clone an object with S3OC it creates a package).

Then when you open S3PE and click File you select Open from the drop down list. You should then get a pop-up box that allows you to navigate to the folder where you put your package when you cloned the item in step D. The package you open is the one you made in step D.
Forum Resident
#84 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 9:25 AM
I feel stupid: I've found it. Thanks for helping me.
Alchemist
#85 Old 5th Dec 2010 at 3:22 PM
Don't feel stupid KC...this is hard to learn when you first start. Glad you got it figured out
Forum Resident
#86 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 3:57 PM
Help required again: I've managed to alter the mesh itself the way I wanted it, as all I had to do was delete the extra bits, but I can't match it up with any textures. There doesn't seem to be the same set of textures to work with - there are a long list of very confusing image files that don't seem to match what you've shown and don't seem to match the map milkshape is giving me. It's a world object rather than a usual, buy mode one, does this make a difference?

Thanks very much for helping.
Alchemist
#87 Old 23rd Dec 2010 at 3:32 AM
What is the object you're cloning?
Forum Resident
#88 Old 23rd Dec 2010 at 12:26 PM
The Chinese city wall - I'm trying to get rid of the outer wall and just have the inner one.
Alchemist
#89 Old 23rd Dec 2010 at 2:55 PM
I'm not sure which clone you're using because there seem to be several pieces all with names having to do with being a Chinese wall. What is the catalogue name?

I may be misunderstanding what your project is but, if all you're doing is deleting a portion of the mesh and leaving the rest of it as is, you shouldn't really need to worry about changing any mapping. If you don't change the mapping you shouldn't have to worry about changing the IMG's either.

What happens when you just change the mesh and then import the wall without the outer wall into the game?
Forum Resident
#90 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 12:10 PM
It's called City Wall - Asian in CAW, and is the edge of the forbidden city in China. The world object is in fact a corner for two walls, an inner wall and an outer wall. I'm trying to get rid of the outer wall, and make two versions of the inner wall: the original corner and a piece that is just a straight side so I can make a bigger 'forbidden city'.

When I tried just deleting the extra bit of mesh I didn't want, it works and the resulting object appears in CAW, but it's all grey and doesn't have any texture, although when I first select it it does appear with the right texture for about a second before the texture disappears. I thought that's all I needed to do, but it's clearly not and I can't manage to work out how to fix it.

Thanks for all of your advice, I really appreciate the help from someone who knows how to do this sort of thing.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#91 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 12:32 PM
Could you post a comparison pic of the mesh ? One as original object and what you see now after the modifications, which is not appearing as you'd hoped?

And is this a Buy mode object or a build mode wall item?
I haven't install all the packs yet after installing my OS, so cannot go ingame and check...
Alchemist
#92 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 2:30 PM
If the right texture is appearing and then disappears like that you're probably having a caching issue. Did you clear the caches before you put your new object in the game?

What is the catalogue name in s3pe? I want to make sure I'm looking at the same object you're looking at.
Forum Resident
#93 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 3:27 PM
Here is my modified version in CAW:

and here is the original:

I can't remember what the catalogue name from the ObjTool was - I can't find it in s3pe.

I tried deleting all the caches I could find under Electronic Arts/Sims 3 Create a World/WorldbuilderCaches, but it hasn't helped. Oddly, when I placed the wall by accident in the wrong place and moved back over it, it showed the right texture for about a second again and then disappeared. I haven't tried putting it in the world as it is and playing to see if it appears right in the game.

Thanks very much for all your help.
Alchemist
#94 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 4:36 PM
Could you post the package? Did you export the MLODs and MODL using S3PE or some other tool?
Forum Resident
#95 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 5:12 PM
I think this should have it attached. I used S3PE and milkshape, as in the tutorial.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  KittyCarey_wallSegmentChina.zip (4.97 MB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Alchemist
#96 Old 26th Dec 2010 at 3:22 PM
I looked at the object and I'm thinking the issue with it goes beyond the scope of this tutorial. I see the magnifier IMG and the overlay IMG but I don't see any reference for them in the OBJD material TGI's which is where the reference is for more ordinary items. I'm not sure exactly how the object gets hooked up to the IMG's in-game.

I don't think this is something you're doing incorrectly as much as it is that this object is different than the objects this tutorial was designed to cover. I wish I could help more.

If after trying the object in the actual game, if the issue persists, maybe if you started your own thread in Object Creation you would get more people looking at the problem who have a better understanding of this kind of object than I do. I apologize for not having a better answer.
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 1:59 AM
Kitty, the object you started with wasn't made the same way regular objects were made.
It doesn't use a Multiplier, Overlay, Mask or Specular.
It's uses regular color textures that are referenced in the MODl and MLOD files where the shader data is kept.

what's happened in your picture is that because the changes you made are not uvmapped exactly the same as the original,
and If you changed the Mesh Groups, this can happen, The game is applying the dirt texture to the object.

As I understand it, you took out a small wall and added a more complex and larger wall, I'm sorry but there just isn't enough information known about how these
objects were made for you to succeed.

Instead I would suggest you export the hirgh and low resolution meshes and clone a regular cast-able object and use it.
You could use the original walls specular to make a Multiplier or burn a new one with Blender.
You could leave it as a CAST-able object or you could combine the original textures into a single Overlay texture.
And you would have to re-UVMapp the entire object, but this way would be doable.
Forum Resident
#98 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 9:00 AM
Thanks very much for the advice. I doubt I'll be able to do all those things to make it work as the wall is very large, so I think I'll try to put it inside lots in the world I'm trying to make.

Thank you both very much for having a look at it for me.
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 27th Dec 2010 at 2:39 PM
The OBJD has a setting to tell te game an object is large.
Don't let the size of the object put you off making it.
Test Subject
#100 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 2:46 PM
Hello Ellacharm3D, or any appropriate moderator,
Newbie, just got sims3 last month.
The learning curve is a little steep, but I think worth the effort. I think the graphics are amazing.
I hope this is the proper forum for this question, I searched quite a lot.
I read most of the tutorials on mesh, not sure what app(s) to get for macbook 10.6.4
I will continue to re/read the tutorials.
I will search 'blender' and others to see which are OSX leopold compatible.

Where do I go to learn about vehicle/boat/ship/rail/streetcar/wagon-team/car-truck object motion, that is, how does one make the guide path?(tracks)(course)? i see there is a sleigh and some gypsy wagons(medieval pack? req.) available om
Are rail sim programs like MTS (spelling?) 'Microsoft Train Simulator' compatible/transferable/usable?
How does one make a vehicle, does one start with a template of some kind, where does one find that, how are the custom vehicles made?
Is this vehicle template found in the sims3 files?
How does one make a ship/boat that navigates? Is an expansion pack needed, like 'pirates'?
There is a marine designer whose work I like, if with his permission, can his hull shapes in mesh be used, what type of apps. do I look for?
Do you have a recommendation for an/the apps. I need, if so.
Thank You, your instruction is appreciated.
primative
Page 4 of 5