Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Quiet One
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 4:06 PM
Default Redistributing custom content
There has been increased activity of content being reposted from other sites, free or paid, that have disclaimers that their items can not be redistributed. In addition to that, if a creator has decided to pull their content, you must get permission from the creator to redistribute, unless it has been stated otherwise in a thread or post.

Let us remind you that this is not tolerated. If (and when) we find this happening on MTS2, the attachments will be deleted (or thread) and you will be warned. If you are a repeat offender, you will be banned.

If you come across a thread with questionable content, please click on report bad post icon so someone on staff can be alerted. Let's play fair, everybody. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

DDO
4 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 4:35 PM
I'm glad you addressed this. It really bugs me when someone reposts someone else's work... especially when they claim is as their own. My thanks and sympathy goes out to all the moderators who continually have to put up with this. You guys are the best!

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 4:56 PM
but redistributable content like helaene's skins and stuff is ok (comming with created sims)? right

Sorry for my bad English!
Currently making this sims (by request): Blink 182, Benji Madden and Agatha Ruiz de la Prada Clothing.
Not by request: Sum 41, the Rest of Good Charlotte, Mike Dirnt
Do you want more? For request and suggestions please PM me!!
The Quiet One
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Marisa
but redistributable content like helaene's skins and stuff is ok (comming with created sims)? right

As long as they clearly state it on their site or in their threads, we must follow their terms of distribution.

We can't babysit everything that comes through MTS2, but generally speaking, if you didn't make it, you can't distribute it or claim it as your own.

DDO
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 5:43 PM
Thanks for addressing this.

"Remembering one thing leads to remembering another, and then another...Your memories are connected, like links in a chain. Those same chains are what anchor us all together. I don't destroy memories. I just take apart the links and rearrange them. You still have all your memories." -Naminé
Instructor
#6 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 7:24 PM
thanks for addressing it, it's soooo annoying when stupid people think they can get away with it when its quite obviouse they stole it

learn from your parents mistakes - use birth control!
Test Subject
#7 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 9:12 PM
people should not use anyone elses work its not right

but.. i have one question but i dont know where to ask it so ill ask it here
a new exspansion is coming out soon i think its called open for buisness
will there be any new mods for it and will the old ones still work if i buy it then instal it?
please will some one tel me.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 9:16 PM
what if you made it with a sim? If you give where you got it from is it ok or do we have to slap a line of links to the 50 places we got the stuff from? I understand people don't want there things being stolen but if you give credit, post the site or post where you got it and don't claim it as your own, that should be ok.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 9:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kohaku
what if you made it with a sim? If you give where you got it from is it ok or do we have to slap a line of links to the 50 places we got the stuff from? I understand people don't want there things being stolen but if you give credit, post the site or post where you got it and don't claim it as your own, that should be ok.

If you read the creator guidelines, when you upload here, it is required that you provide links and credit where you got the content to make your Sim. That is part of the approval process. Just look at any of the examples if you are unsure of what to put.

DDO
The Quiet One
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by c18
people should not use anyone elses work its not right

but.. i have one question but i dont know where to ask it so ill ask it here
a new exspansion is coming out soon i think its called open for buisness
will there be any new mods for it and will the old ones still work if i buy it then instal it?
please will some one tel me.

Let's keep this thread on topic, please. Besides, how can we make new mods/content if none of us have it to play with? We can't make something out of nothing.

DDO
Test Subject
#11 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 9:21 PM
Yeah especially with all the new members (some not knowing the rules) I keep on seeing this happening a lot. Good thing I don't know how to upload and don't wanna learn! :P
Super Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#12 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 9:40 PM
Just a general rule of thumb to reitterate what Daysies said-
If you create a sim or house you can use custom content- its your responsibility to make sure the content you use comes from creators who dont mind sharing. And we here insist you put links to the original sites you got everything from. Its respectful and courteous.

I think this is more to do with outright theft. Do not repost anything here and say you made it yoruself. DO not package sims or houses or anything with meshes from other sites. If the site allows recoloring then post your recolor with a link for people to download the mesh from the original site.

There are maybe one or two sites who freely say please share our meshes- we know which sites they are and we do allow that. But thats two out of hundreds and hundreds. We prefer you dont share meshes at all. Its a lighter server load here and the link to the original site increases traffic to those creators so generously making items for the community.

There are also sites who expressly forbid sharing or altering of their content. You need to pay attention as uplaoders to their wishes- Otherwise your downlaods can be removed or rejected over this. Its jsut a heads up to please be respectful and more conscious of your creations. Thanks everyone
Alchemist
#13 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 9:42 PM
I agree with this, getting actual links to the items is not that immensly hard to do.

However, I have a question, for example when uploading a Sim, the makeup, eyes, skin which normally are packed with the sim, can they remain as they are or strip the sim entirely down to maxis content and post a link for eyeshadow, eyeliner etc...? I am all for giving credit where it's due and naming the creator plus a link to their site is very understandable, but are those still allowed to be packed with the file now?...unless there's a strict prohibition like on Arthemista's site for example.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 9:44 PM
daysies i know wat ur saying.and i totally agree with u.as much as i hate paysites, i would never let someone get away with this. its not right.i hate ppl like that. they r soooooooo st00pid! if they did it on accident, i can understand. but if they knew.... i would report it
Super Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#15 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 9:44 PM
Ghanima as long as the creators allow it on their site it can stay on the sim. only the items that arent allowed to be shared- but you think it makes the sim look right- must be pulled and a link given
Alchemist
#16 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 9:48 PM
*nod* totally understandable. Thanks for clearing it up, LyricLee.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
The Quiet One
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 9:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghanima
I agree with this, getting actual links to the items is not that immensly hard to do.

However, I have a question, for example when uploading a Sim, the makeup, eyes, skin which normally are packed with the sim, can they remain as they are or strip the sim entirely down to maxis content and post a link for eyeshadow, eyeliner etc...? I am all for giving credit where it's due and naming the creator plus a link to their site is very understandable, but are those still allowed to be packed with the file now?...unless there's a strict prohibition like on Arthemista's site for example.

You're taking a chance with packaging items that are questionable. Just to be safe, it's best to take pics of the completed Sim but package it with Maxis-defaults. That way you don't have to bother with linking to anything unless you want to share where to get the items to complete the Sim.

Like Lyric stated, this thread is mainly to inform you about items blatantly stolen and reposted here from other sites. It doesn't matter if you say it's not yours, but sharing it without explicit permission from the creator is wrong.

DDO
Field Researcher
#18 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 12:06 AM
All started cause of the ''Rain Maker'' incident...?

In Deviant Art...
Forum Resident
#19 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 12:20 AM
thanx for addressing this too many people out there dont give credit to original creators ..

~ * MaRiA * ~
(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that
//\\ has survived, died, or is living with cancer.
Test Subject
#20 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 12:22 AM
Waiwai it started way before that...
Instructor
#21 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 1:16 AM
And its not going to stop.

About a year ago I made some Morrowind mods, then I drop out of the Morrowind community but one mod was popular enough it seens that people were asking about it and some people decided to host then.

I am fully aware of that, I decided to end the issue by making a statement about it.

But that does not change the fact for months the issue was in limbo, I could not be reached and made no statement ... fact is people can simply drop out.

Now why is that a issue with The Sims?

Because that happened, people already come and gone ... and you cannot reach then.

Now add the fact its hard to discover who made a certain thing you are using when you have no name to go, something like "blush 101" says nothing were it comes from.

The problem with giving credit is sometimes we have no idea to who to give credit ... I dont intend to write a list tracking the location of every single downloaded item on my game.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 2:06 AM
Then don't use that stuff.. simple as that.

Like Pitch Black and CoR?
Visit GM_Andy's. My Home on the Web! My Sims2 stuff and files I'm caretaker of can be found here

Need a way to open that .rar file? Use the Sims2 File Maid.
Test Subject
#23 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 5:42 AM
The problem is I forget where I downloaded things. I will pull them if I can't ask the creator for permission. For example, there is this site that makes Power ranger skins. I wanted to recolor them and post them on here for fellow PR fans who wanted them in the game. So I e-mailed the author of the skins and he told me yes, as long as I give him credit where it is due.

So those who repost work that is not your own...ask the author. They will more than likely say yes as long as you give them credit. But those who say no are not being selfish, they're just being cautious about thieves.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#24 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 6:33 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 29th Dec 2005 at 8:22 AM.
The point is if you plan on sharing things, you unfortunately need to keep track of where you got things from and then check for their policies. If you cannot figure out where you got something from you shouldn't use it - go look for something similar on a share-friendly site. Or indeed, take a photo of your sim/house cool items in use and then remove them before packaging, giving links when you can.

You also truly MUST check things carefully when recoloring. Some sites simply say no, you may not distribute recolors of their meshes, others are generous. Many do not want you to use their art in the recolor - they might have spent hours perfecting shoes or eyes or lip gloss... and doing a recolor using their artwork and moving the color slide button is not okay! This is the case for hair, also - some people create hair textures from scratch and they do not necessary want you to just use their graphic, you must check first. You can use textures from Maxis outfits and items all you wish, but not from other creators.

At the same time, some artists are very generous with their work, so do check
Ice Princess
#25 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 6:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
And its not going to stop.

About a year ago I made some Morrowind mods, then I drop out of the Morrowind community but one mod was popular enough it seens that people were asking about it and some people decided to host then.

I am fully aware of that, I decided to end the issue by making a statement about it.

But that does not change the fact for months the issue was in limbo, I could not be reached and made no statement ... fact is people can simply drop out.

Now why is that a issue with The Sims?

Because that happened, people already come and gone ... and you cannot reach then.

Now add the fact its hard to discover who made a certain thing you are using when you have no name to go, something like "blush 101" says nothing were it comes from.

The problem with giving credit is sometimes we have no idea to who to give credit ... I dont intend to write a list tracking the location of every single downloaded item on my game.

That may be understandable however it must be said when someone rips something wholesale...whether it be a skin, an object or a mod and then repost it as their own something needs to be done. Going on a site and saying oh I like that I'm going to share it with everyone else regardless what the original author said is sickening.

Home of the Sims 2 InSIMenator.net

Stroke my Llama
Page 1 of 4