Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th May 2009 at 5:18 AM
Default Free sims 3 trial Friday
Here is the link.Hopefully it's a cas demo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/b...=2&ref=business
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 14th May 2009 at 5:23 AM
Can't wait to see what this is, it better be good! Sounds like it will be online based and not a download since the trial will also be on Facebook.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 14th May 2009 at 5:35 AM
Hmm sounds pretty cool. I wonder what the trial will feature
Forum Resident
#4 Old 14th May 2009 at 5:57 AM
Is this for everyone?
Theorist
#5 Old 14th May 2009 at 6:05 AM
As far as we know yes it is, but it's "meant for people who have never played the game before."
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th May 2009 at 6:27 AM
Maybe it's the game but you can only play part of Sunset Valley like that pc magazine in Britain did.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 14th May 2009 at 6:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Captain THPS4
As far as we know yes it is, but it's "meant for people who have never played the game before."

Screw them! We have been waiting FOREVER for this, I think we deserve it, especially after they delayed it. Hopefully we (the ones that have played sims before) can play it.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 14th May 2009 at 7:42 AM
It clearly means it is *geared* towards people who have never played before, meaning people with no Sims experience will get the most benefit from it. I have no idea what the trial is but I can guarantee you it will be open to anyone who wants to download it, not just people who have never played before (as if they'd ever be able to enforce such a thing).
#9 Old 14th May 2009 at 9:52 AM
Sounds great! I'm going to be very busy on Friday so i hope I'll find the time later that day to check it out. ThanQ for sharing SLP!
#10 Old 14th May 2009 at 12:16 PM
Damn, the boyfriend is staying over Friday night. He's a mad anti-simist. No trial for me =(

... ah, screw it! He can sit through a little torture
Test Subject
#11 Old 14th May 2009 at 1:42 PM
Good to hear. Can't wait for this game to come out.

From the same article.

Quote:
Another option, called SimFriend, lets visitors to the Web site pick a Sim pen pal from among 120 characters, and that pen pal will send e-mail messages. For example, a Sim might send a message asking what type of dinner she should cook for her boyfriend, and the fan picks from options like “Cook an elegant meal.” The e-mail chain would continue, tailored to the Sim’s personality and skills.

“If the Sim happens to be a kleptomaniac chef, the response you get back might be, ‘Thanks, I went and stole food today,’ when what you’re expecting is ‘Thanks, I just had lunch,’ ” said John Buchanan, senior director of worldwide marketing for the Sims line at Electronic Arts.

The third option is called SimSidekick. A fans chooses from 6 characters on the Web site, and an image of the character that is chosen floats on top of the browser as the fan moves around the Web.
#12 Old 14th May 2009 at 1:44 PM
I'm hoping we'll be able to use CAS in the trial and export the characters we make into the real game.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 14th May 2009 at 1:53 PM
Hmm, the official site mentions 3 new teaser experiences - SimSocial, SimFriend and SimSidekick, two of which are mentioned by name in the NYT article. That makes me suspect that SimSocial is the first thing they discussed, and unfortunately (to me) "SimSocial" doesn't sound much like a CAS demo or really any kind of actual demo. I'll wait for Friday but my hopes aren't up for anything beyond a few novelty widgets...
#14 Old 14th May 2009 at 2:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sharkloverplayer
Here is the link.Hopefully it's a cas demo.

i quote Grant Rodiek: "No, there will not be a demo for The Sims 3 prior to a ship date."

This sounds like just marketing teasers (flash games and stuff), i hope i'm wrong but i doubt it =)
Forum Resident
#15 Old 14th May 2009 at 2:07 PM
^ That's a bit of a shame. I'm not too fussed because S3 doesn't exactly thrill me (I plan on getting it but I'm not uber excited or anything) but I know a lot of people would love an actual trial.
Alchemist
#16 Old 14th May 2009 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nelle
Damn, the boyfriend is staying over Friday night. He's a mad anti-simist. No trial for me =(

... ah, screw it! He can sit through a little torture

Tell him to do what I do when American Idol comes on. Turn on the xbox 360
Alchemist
#17 Old 14th May 2009 at 2:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lavanya
i quote Grant Rodiek: "No, there will not be a demo for The Sims 3 prior to a ship date."

This sounds like just marketing teasers (flash games and stuff), i hope i'm wrong but i doubt it =)

I think you're on the money
Field Researcher
#18 Old 14th May 2009 at 3:45 PM
The free trial is just the "SimSideKick" thing

http://www.simprograms.com/the-sims...ly-simsidekick/
Field Researcher
#19 Old 14th May 2009 at 3:57 PM
I suspect this might be SimSocial (which wasn't described in the NYT ad):

Quote:
The company will also run a game on both Facebook and the Sims site itself that lets players learn about the game.

From: http://adage.com/madisonandvine/art...ticle_id=136626
Theorist
#20 Old 14th May 2009 at 6:50 PM
Why did the New York Times have to be so misleading and call it a "free trial?" Just another example of faulty journalism. I didn't think it would be a demo of the actual game since it was also supposed to be on Facebook but some people might have been misled anyway.

The SimSideKick thing reminds me of those desktop pals that turned out to be spyware. My friend had one that was a parrot, I think he was called Peedee or something like that.
#21 Old 16th May 2009 at 2:10 PM
They have the sidekick thing - lame, the social thing - lame and as of today a non-functioning friend you are suppose to be able to check out but I can't get past registration - typical ea not to have it functioning correctly - guess there will be a patch!!! lol! I was getting excited about the game for the first time since the delay but after checking out the social and sidekick I'm not impressed at all. Are they trying to discourage people from buying the game or what? That stuff is so lame and hopefully not like the game at all.
#22 Old 16th May 2009 at 3:57 PM
I actually really enjoy SimSocial, except for the four hour break periods. It's fun to get to play around with traits and stuff.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 16th May 2009 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bittersweet60
They have the sidekick thing - lame, the social thing - lame and as of today a non-functioning friend you are suppose to be able to check out but I can't get past registration - typical ea not to have it functioning correctly - guess there will be a patch!!! lol! I was getting excited about the game for the first time since the delay but after checking out the social and sidekick I'm not impressed at all. Are they trying to discourage people from buying the game or what? That stuff is so lame and hopefully not like the game at all.

I managed to register, the day is almost over and I haven't received any e-mails from my "friend" except for the first one.
Instructor
#24 Old 16th May 2009 at 4:20 PM
I like SimSocial too! Don't think it's lame at all! Obviously the actual game would be better, but beggars can't be choosers. I've been without any kind of sims for 6 months so this little flash game will keep me sane for the next few weeks. :P
Field Researcher
#25 Old 16th May 2009 at 5:38 PM
Just as a heads up, don't get too attached to any specific features or experiences from SimSocial - they probably won't be in TS3. It's actually a game called Kudos that has been repackaged to look Simlike. Based on my experience playing the Kudos demo yesterday (after the similarity to Kudos was pointed out in another thread), the only thing that has really been changed is the appearance. The text, the 1-activity-after work, 2-on-the-weekends, evening classes, job text, the meters on the right (coolness, confidence, etc)- all directly from Kudos.
Page 1 of 2