Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 10:14 AM
Default Tips to finally manage to play
Hi guys, sorry to bother you with this silly topic, but I can't find tips/good tutorials anywhere else.
Short story: I want to install Sims 3 and EPs on my laptop but in the past I've always ended up uninstalling because of lags, corrupted saving and slow game. The thing is I'm perfectly able to play Sims 2 and 4 smothly, with graphics settings on maximum and with no problems (of 'course Sims 2 take a while to load at the beginning, but that's because of the CC) and I really want to give Sims 3 a shot and see if I manage to play properly.
My questions are: how many EP/Stuff packs should I install? I've all of 'em, but I don't think the game would run good.
Any mods/fixes that make the game more stable?
Any external programs that could help keeping the game tidy?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Oh, I almost forgot, my system specs:

Quote:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/31/2017, 10:03:15
Machine name: DREW
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.140723-2018)
Language: Italian (Regional Setting: Italian)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire V3-572G
BIOS: V1.26
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8106MB RAM
Page File: 2247MB used, 7138MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1616&SUBSYS_09401025&REV_09
Display Memory: 6034 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1981 MB
Shared Memory: 4053 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: BOE061D
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.973Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32
Driver File Version: 10.18.0014.4062 (English)
Driver Version: 10.18.14.4062
DDI Version: 11
Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.3
Graphics Preemption: Triangle
Compute Preemption: Thread group
Miracast: Supported
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
Power P-states: Not Supported
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/22/2014 05:47:48, 24789504 bytes
-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0283&SUBSYS_10250943&REV_1000
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.7300 (English)
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 7/22/2014 11:57:38, 4018136 bytes
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 6:12 PM
Your processor falls short of the recommended 2.4 GHz for the heaviest of TS3 EPs and it does not have a dedicated graphics card (actually it might have a lower end Nvidia card but if you do have dual graphics, the second isn't showing up until later in the dxdiag portion that you posted). I would think that Pets and Seasons would be too much for it to handle well. IP and ITF might be iffy.

As for tips to improve performance: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+Fo...ame+Performance

You can't really compare how it handles the other games as they are all programmed so differently. TS2 was first released in 2004, even with all EPs it will never take the toll on hardware that its successors do. TS4 is more CPU intensive than GPU and it only has 3 EPs thus far whereas TS3 has 11 of them, plus the open world to simulate. The bar will be raised on TS4 when the new Cats and Dogs EP comes out in November.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 6:50 PM
Thank for your exaustive answer; my bad, I've should have checked the DXDiag, indeed I do have a dedicated video card:
Quote:
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 840M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 840M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Render-Only Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1341&SUBSYS_09421025&REV_A2
Display Memory: 6034 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1981 MB
Shared Memory: 4053 MB
Current Mode: n/a
Driver Name: nvd3dumx,nvwgf2umx,nvwgf2umx,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 22.21.0013.8541 (English)
Driver Version: 22.21.13.8541
DDI Version: 11
Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.3
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: DMA
Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Discrete
Power P-states: Not Supported
Driver Date/Size: 8/22/2017 01:40:08, 17807096 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: n/a
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x1341
SubSys ID: 0x09421025
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Driver Strong Name: oem8.inf:0f066de3950bf2d3:Section069:22.21.13.8541:pci\ven_10de&dev_1341&subsys_09421025
Rank Of Driver: 00DA0001
Video Accel: n/a
DXVA2 Modes:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
D3D9 Overlay: n/a
DXVA-HD: n/a
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

Ok, let's say I'd like to play with a couple EP, without CC and following the tricks to keep the game clean... With the current settings, is it possible to get the game to work nicely? Otherwise I'll quit and wait to get a better PC.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 7:06 PM Last edited by igazor : 31st Aug 2017 at 7:37 PM.
You would want to use the Nvidia Control Panel (or Inspector) to set up a profile for TS3, check the DeviceConfig.log in your TS3 user game folder to make sure the game is using the Nvidia card and not the Intel, and of course while doing so cap frame rates so that they don't wander above the refresh rate of your monitor/screen. Like most, that laptop would be 60Hz, so 60 fps. Most of the time on dual graphics the game will otherwise reach for the "wrong" one first and would be trying to run it on the Intel chip.

But the 840M is a lower-end card, so there is only so far it can be pushed. The 860M within that series would be a much different story, but unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done about that. Between that and the processor, I would think that the game should run fine with a few of the less intensive EPs and even a modest helping of CC and mods, maybe not on the highest of graphics settings in Game Options. Different players will have different experiences on that hardware.

We pretty much all have to take steps to maintain our game files and keep watching its performance even on high-end systems due to the way TS3 is structured and so poorly optimized. Can't imagine anyone saying that, for example, NRaas Overwatch and ErrorTrap (Register, Traffic, to an extent GoHere) are just not necessary because they have a stronger computer. Otherwise the game still tends to glitch out, only more smoothly and with more style. Or something like that.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 7:44 PM
I really appreciate how you take your time to explain every single detail, you're helping me a lot.
I had to do it with Sims 2, especially after the drivers update of so days ago. It recognises other games straight away (maybe because they're supported) and Sims 3 seems to be supported too.
Well, I thought that since I've high settings in all the other games (not only Sims 2/4), Sims 3 would have been the same story. And I've made up my mind about playing with all the EPs, but I can't stand the idea of having payed for every single EP/Stuff pack and not using 'em.
I was thinking of playing using just Ambitions, Pets and Supernatural (+2 Stuff Packs), but if Pets would be too much work I might use another one instead; I don't know exactely which ones are heavier, but I bet Seasons/Island Paradise are heavy for the graphic card, while I'd like to avoid adding sub-hoods as well because of the appearance/disappearance of families, sim etcetera (so no Into The Future, World Adventure or University).
I remember, in the past, I've always downloaded the Overwatch (especially for the Future that compact the CAS! clothes) but eventually the game would get messed up.
As soon as I'm free again, i'll try to install and run the game and few EPs, even though I think eventually i'll come back to Sims 2 as usual lol
Mad Poster
#6 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 7:50 PM
I think you're confusing Overwatch with MasterController, but that's okay. They're all good to have. StoryProgression is the NRaas mod that adds overhead to the game rather than relieves stress on it.

I would still avoid Pets, Seasons, IP, and ITF on that one, because of both the graphics card and the processor, but again experiences are going to differ. On traveling to other worlds, it's not essential to do that just because you have WA or Uni installed as there's plenty of other content to be had in those EPs. But most find that NRaas Traveler (working together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap) smooth out the often fragile travel transitions and make things stay playable again.

The important thing for most of us is to have some fun with our game(s), not necessarily to have every single function work exactly the way it really should. And you're welcome.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 8:43 PM
Ups, my bad again XD didn't know about the story progression, I'll avoid it.
Uhm, at this point, apart from Supernatural and Ambitions that are the ones I love (from the few times I've played) I'll see if the game runs well with University (Generations doesn't attract me that match and Late Night "scares" me because of the apartments).
I completely agree with you, that's why I've never stopped playing Sims 2: it makes me laugh and have fun after all this time... And I'm quite happy that there're still new mods coming out that make the game even better.
The guide you provided is exactly what I was looking for, as soon as I'm off again I'll install the game, the EPs and the mods you suggested me.
Just one more question: is there any option in the N̶v̶d̶i̶a̶ ̶C̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶ ̶P̶a̶n̶e̶l̶ GeForce Experience (the one that manages the other games, included Sims 4) I should touch or should I let the game chose its own and see how it goes?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 9:18 PM
You don't necessarily have to avoid StoryProgression, just pointing out that the net difference will be a harder working game engine as opposed to a cleaner working one like so many of the other mods. You might be able to get away with running it on one of its slower two overall speeds, depending on the world being played. But maybe later, after getting the game to run as you like it to first so you can better judge its impact.

We recommend not having GeForce Experience at all. But if you have it in place for other games, don't use it to "optimize" TS3, as with so many other older games it tends to make a mess of things.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 11:54 PM Last edited by igazor : 1st Sep 2017 at 12:13 AM.
@Nitromon - Hmm. Not sure where that reputation comes from. You know that I play TS3 on a Bootcamped iMac, which is fine, but it's coming up on six years old now. Hardly a high-end performer, it never really was more than mid-range when it was new.

The U-series i5s are dual core. The "other" two cores are logical, not physical. Are you certain that doesn't make an appreciable difference to a laptop? Touche on the turbo, I must have been looking at a different model or something and missed it, sorry about that.

On the GPU though, a huge difference between an 840M and your 650M is that the 4-level cards (the former) have half the throughput/bit bus width of the latter in addition to the DDR3 vs 5 as you mentioned. I'm sorry, but based on the large numbers of users coming to us with 740s, 840s, 940s with or without the "M" and those on the AMD cards that have the same limited 64 bit bus widths having all kinds of GPU related performance problems that can't really be solved with game engine soothing mods or formal card recognition tricks, I cannot agree that the 840M is "more than adequate" for TS3 and ALL of its EPs. The best advice I can give then, if one wants to push things, is tread lightly, test each additional potentially heavy EP carefully and for more than a single game session along the way, especially with Pets and Seasons, don't install everything at once, and don't expect high or ultra high graphics settings in Game Options or the highest of resolutions to work out very well (or be very pleasantly surprised if they do).

The rest of your advice, not that you need me to tell you this, is as sound as ever. Oh, except maybe the part about potatoes. You forgot to include which models of spuds outperform the others and in which year they should best have been harvested, I'm sure these things must make a difference.