Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 1:52 PM
I liked the rating system b/c it at least sorted out the mediocre from the good. Not every good d/l can be featured, so for the rest of the stuff, you either had to slog through a mountain of junk just to get to the good stuff, or you could preview just the five star ones, b/c frankly, a lot of the four star stuff isn't worth downloading. And in terms of sorting, the number of thanks isn't as indicative of quality, b/c certain objs appeal to a wider array of pple, and get more thanks, while others are more niche, and it'd be a pity for those really great niche objects to get lost in the crush.

The ratings system, as flawed as it is, has been a real help for me in a lot of situations prior, so I'm very sad to see it go.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 1:52 PM
Just a little question : is it possible to have something like the old "you have alredy rated..." directly in the download screen ?

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#28 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 2:27 PM
patul, considering ratings are now removed that would make little sense.

idtaminger, the problem is that, as I said, 90+% of all rated threads where above 4. Regardless of if you think 4 is less than good quality, the fact is that the rating system runs from 1 to 5, not 4 to 5. Threads that where broken/tagged/not up to quality still had a rating or 4 or 5 stars - so what does that say about the ones that really deserve that high a rating?

The best way to see the quality of an item should be the following:
- Number of downloads
- Number of thanks
- Number of problems
- Number of thanks posts

The rating system is really very arbitary and the general consensus seems to agree that it really isn't that practical to see if a thread is truly good quality.

niol, Currently only MTS2 staff are able to tag specific posts as being thanks posts. Members and thread starters do not have the option to change a post after they have submitted it.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 2:36 PM
Awesome! what really annoyed me about the ratings was that sometimes rating something as "very good" lowered the rating. What is the sense of rating if everything is 5ed
Instructor
#30 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 3:19 PM Last edited by idtaminger : 31st Oct 2006 at 3:25 PM.
Maybe a 3 point system could be put in place then. Ranging from Good to Neutral to Bad. 3-2-1. Or an even simpler 2 point system - thumbs up vs. down. That way, you still get a certain degree of sorting w/out having everything be either a 4 or a five. And w/ the amt of d/ls (and counting) MTS2 has, any degree of sorting would be very helpful.

Like I said, sorting by the no. of d/ls or thanks really leaves out a lot of the more niche d/ls, which are bound to have less d/ls or thanks than say a good standard hairstyle in natural colors. And w/ problem posts, if a creator does something right the first time, he/she shouldn't come in after a creator who took a while to get things right.
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#31 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 3:46 PM
It seems I clicked thanks in da thread and I may to thank there one more time - no warnings I cant do it again!

Currently playing Sims 4 full collection. (and fixing my mods folder)
Mad Poster
#32 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 3:48 PM Last edited by patul : 31st Oct 2006 at 3:53 PM.
A point : if you edit a thanks message (my english is that is it ) it becomes a feedback message, is it normal ?

edit : Ailias and jmtmom report the same pblem I reported previously

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#33 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 4:01 PM
The trouble with the ratings is one tended to rate at the time of seeing the pictures, and sometimes you didn't find out they were not working until you played them. So the rating tended to be a gratitude score rather than a review of the actual item - you feel that flush of gratitude when you first see the item and *think* it is going to do what you always dreamed of.
Field Researcher
#34 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 4:43 PM
I really like the changes because as you already said 'real' questions or problems get overlooked.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 4:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
The trouble with the ratings is one tended to rate at the time of seeing the pictures, and sometimes you didn't find out they were not working until you played them. So the rating tended to be a gratitude score rather than a review of the actual item - you feel that flush of gratitude when you first see the item and *think* it is going to do what you always dreamed of.

This is very true, I couldn't agree more. Sometimes things that look great turn out otherwise and vice-versa, it happened to me a lot of times.

Anyway, I for one do not mind the changes, or am rather ambivalent about the rating one. I am one of those people who tend to slog through all the d/s daily in the sections that interest me and then d/l what I want regardless of the rating and then come back if I liked it/didn't.

Much thanks for the addition of the thanks as a third option in replies, that is really a great idea for both creators and d/l-ers.

Thanks for all the work, this will overall definitely make the site better :D
#36 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 5:21 PM
And thats why this website is the best darn website in the world thanks i really don't mind if the rating system is gone, THANKS FOR THE INFO.

AbstractSIMmer187 Has Retired From Sims 2 Creating
All Of My Creations Are Found Here
Mad Poster
#37 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 5:57 PM Last edited by niol : 31st Oct 2006 at 6:07 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by patul
A point : if you edit a thanks message (my english is that is it ) it becomes a feedback message, is it normal ?

edit : Ailias and jmtmom report the same pblem I reported previously

Me suffered the same...
I did report that in post 23...
And hopefully, there'll be an answer or a fix soon...

But, I'm really excited to see the thank posts are being separated from the feedback posts, so I no longer need to ask people not to post thank posts on threads of modded contents or tutorials I did.
Oh, by the way, will this separation be effective in the tutorial threads as well?

As for the rating as a way of sorting, that's understandable. Yet, seemingly every sorting has its own bias(es) and that's how it works and bothers users!
Instructor
#38 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
The trouble with the ratings is one tended to rate at the time of seeing the pictures, and sometimes you didn't find out they were not working until you played them...

I ignored the rating already for quite a while for this reason - when you don't know if it's rated after testing in game or after taking a look at the screenshots a rating doesn't make sense at all (except a 30k poly item is rated 5 stars - it's kinda easy to create huge poly objects that look great in screenshots while preparing a great looking lowered poly model is a challenge. The poly/vertex specifications are a better working quality check in my opinion)
Anyway 5 Stars for this improvement! :D

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Scholar
#39 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 6:48 PM
Well, it will feel different without the rating system, but after the way you explained the benefits of it being gone, damn Delphy you are very convincing and very right! I would have never thought of that Thanks for hosting the best site on the planet :D

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

I'm currently taking requests until August 12th.
Instructor
#40 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 8:30 PM
I like this. Nice.

Sure. Fine. Whatever.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 8:36 PM Last edited by Jafa : 31st Oct 2006 at 8:53 PM.
These are great ideas! Especially eliminating the star ratings... particularly in the Pets section, I'd noticed that almost everything had a 5-star rating... and I was suspecting it was due mostly to everyone being really excited about the new Pets in general, and not necessarily due to the quality of the specific pet they were rating (because honestly, pretty much all the pets are adorable!).

The "thanks" posts are a great idea as well... I agree that "feedback" posts are more useful BUT I am very glad you aren't discouraging thanks-type posts (because even if all someone has to say is thanks, it's still nice to see the comment!).
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Anybody found to be posting "Thanks" type posts as feedback will have the post changed and a possible warning issued if it continues.
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Currently only MTS2 staff are able to tag specific posts as being thanks posts. Members and thread starters do not have the option to change a post after they have submitted it.

However, one possible problem I notice is that there doesn't seem to be a way to SWITCH comment-types once they're posted. There are a few reasons I can think of that being able to switch post types would be useful:

(1) This is a NEW system and it would be great to provide people a way to correct their own mistakes as they're adjusting to the new system.
(2) A person might first want to simply post Thanks, but later (possibly after using the item in-game) might have some actual feedback to add. It would, of course, be possible to just make a new comment in this case. **(Actually, after reading some of the above comments, I guess this would not be a problem, since thanks-posts DO turn into feedback posts upon editing. This, however, seems to be its own problem - you can't edit a thanks post and leave it as thanks??)
(3) A person might post feedback about a specific problem (download not working, replaces file in game, etc) that is simple enough that once it's fixed, the comment is no longer relevant. It'd be nice to be able to switch this type of post back to just "thanks."

Would it be too complicated to allow users to switch post-types, or is there some other reason it's been decided that we can't change them? I'm just curious... thanks again for this new system. :)
Field Researcher
#42 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 9:09 PM
I think this is a good improvement. Keep the good work Delphy.

I'm going to stop modding the sims 2.
Instructor
#43 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 9:32 PM
All very very good changes The thank-option is brilliant

Hey, wanna get rid of the PaySites once and for all?

Wanna join the Animal Army?
Give me credit and you can include/default/whatever my stuff - No Paysites!
- I always use skins from Enayla
Forum Resident
#44 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 9:34 PM
I like the new thanks system. Don't you think you could bring back the rating system in one form or another? Like e.g. ONLY the moderators(such as youself) could rate downloads? Could be helpful
Top Secret Researcher
#45 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 10:11 PM
Great ideas, as always.

I guess that qualifies this as a "thanks post," but the new button isn't there yet. :-)

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 10:17 PM
This is a good change and I hope it helps both creators looking for feedback and downloaders to see if others have had the same issues. Unfortunately, I had a bad experience here on MTS2 when I posted a negative response to an object and my post was summarily yanked by a moderator with a nasty remark toward me. No doubt this will be yanked, too, however making posters feel that they can only offer praise or the posts they took the time and effort to compose will be deleted is as meaningless as giving everything five stars.

The universe lies before you on the floor, in the air, in the mysterious bodies of your dancers, in your mind. From this voyage no one returns poor or weary.

- Agnes De Mille
Instructor
#47 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 10:19 PM
Why, Sizza?
There're already featured creators, featured DLs, sometimes even different tastes, own opinions... :D
You can try items out on your own, the 'thanked' option is a hint and - I don't know how othes think about this but I myself don't like to be told what I have to think / how I have to like or dislike things but I prefer to try on my own and have my own opinion... maybe the one or another modder thinks the same and maybe this is even one of the reasons why MTS2 is one of the best TS2- websites available... maybe I'm wrong and it would become a lot better if the moderators would tell us our opinions (Delphy would have to tell them theirs of course ) All of us would agree with each other and maybe... maybe this could even cause peace on earth? Beautiful, I want that!
(Serious: I just asked myself if it could happen that the quality control could be overstressed - you keep the essence in mind, Delphy, do you?)

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Test Subject
#48 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 12:40 AM
one of my uploads was 3 star for a couple of hours!! lol. But now it's a 3 or 4 like all the other ones.

-Q->
Sköt Looney
Test Subject
#49 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 3:41 AM
This is the best news update I've seen in a really long time. I don't comment much, I don't rate much and I do thank a bit... but I really want to know if certain objects/mods/hacks are screwing up people's games and I want to see the real feedback, rather than the "wow, thanks for this!" posts before most of these people have even tried it out in the game... it'll help a lot.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#50 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 4:22 AM
Noil, these changes are currently only implemented in the downloads section, they do not effect the tutorials (yet, at least)

And I must say that while it's nice that our members are kind and enthusiastic, almost every download, even those with visible faults to them, were rated 5... or at worst 4. Sweet, but kinda defeated any purpose of 'rating system'. This change will reduce some of the load on the system also, which is of course, desired, being as we often have over 3,000 people on site at any given moment, and that's a lot of people to serve the webpages to.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Page 2 of 6