Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 10:48 AM Last edited by BabaYaga : 13th Jan 2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typos as usual
Default is it possible to change the comfort level of a chair?
I cloned a chair from the designer living room chair because it's the only one that has three recolorable parts, but now I'd like it to have a higher comfort value. Is that possible?

I tried changing the scriptclass in the OBJK to a comfier chair, but it didn't seem to work...
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 12:12 PM
From memory, that should have done it. I'll check back from my notes.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
#3 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 12:48 PM
OK, if you did that correctly it should have worked. What did you observe that made you think it hadn't worked?

Delete your ScriptCache before trying again, and double check you don't have an earlier test version of your chair in your mods folder.

Also of course check that your package editor did save your edit to the scriptclass.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 1:51 PM
The changes were correctly saved and all caches and earlier versions have definitely been deleted.

I thought it didn't work because in the catalog the chair still shows up with the lower comfort value icon. Or do I have to change that separately?

All I actually did was change the scriptkey value from "Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Seating.Mimics.ChairLivingDesigner" to "Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Seating.Mimics.ChairLivingMission". Is there something else I need to do?
#5 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 2:00 PM
Ah! That's the catalogue! In game, however, your sim should get the comfort benefit that comes from the more expensive chair whose script you have borrowed.

There is some way in the OBJD to change how it shows in the catalogue but the OBJD is so complicated you'd have to experiment (unless someone else has unravelled it all and updated the Wiki with the details)

Alchemist
#6 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 9:56 PM
Wow...really? This will change the comfort level? Thanks for posting this information Inge...this is great news.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 8:44 PM
Thanks Inge, that's good news for my sims, who are now enjoying their Comfy Chair. I'm too nitpicky to upload it that way, though, so I think I'll re-clone from something comfier it and add a third CAST channel...
Alchemist
#8 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 12:07 AM
Do you mean add a new recolorable channel to the object...as in change an object with two channels to three?

If this is what you mean where did you learn it? Do you have a link or did you figure it out yourself? If you figured it out yourself would you consider sharing the method?

Any help learning to do that would be very much appreciated
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 12:17 AM
Oops, I guess I let my secret slip out

OM, yes, I have figured out how to add a third channel, but so far only a solid-color texture. I also have figured out how to change the default textures and colors, and the tiling as well. I've been busy lately and want to upload this $%#$^ endless chair I'm working on, then I was planning to make a post with my findings. On that note, I'm going to go work on my chair
Alchemist
#10 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 12:37 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing your chair and to learning the methods you're describing. It all sounds wonderful
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#11 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 6:42 AM
OM - Type codes 33, 34, and 35 are for Pattern Enable (A, B, and C). 0=disabled and 1=enabled. The problem is usually the unused channel is just a solid color. Sometimes you get lucky, like some paintings have a pattern as the disabled one (distressed leather, or something).

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
#12 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 10:57 AM
Thanks cmo I didn't know there was such a thing on these objects.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 10:52 PM
Yup, and the type codes for the tiling are 3c, 3d, and 3e-- look at the typecodes at the recolor level, not at the texture level.

I don't want to make it seem like I have total mastery of all this; I don't. But I have made progress, and want to share it soon. It's just that I am the world's slowest writer.
Alchemist
#14 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 1:11 AM
I'm probably gonna end up waiting for what you write. Knowing it's there and knowing what to do with it are two completely different things

Right now I've been working with a friend on learning a fix for another problem which I feel far more painfully as I try to make meshes. I want my computer to start reading my mind for me...lol...and this fix hopefully will accomplish that.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#15 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 1:37 AM
I think I know what your talking about with the typecodes, but I only see about 5 different values. Unless your talking about the Control Code value in the type code?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 1:58 AM Last edited by BabaYaga : 16th Jan 2010 at 1:59 AM. Reason: left out a word
Yes, I think that's what I meant, sorry.

So for example in the country living chair in the [0] Material typecodes the first entry is TypeCode05, and the ControlCode is 0x3E. It controls the tiling of Pattern C and is set by default at 2 x 2.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#17 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 2:18 AM
Ah, thank you. That makes a bit more sense. I was looking for the string values for Channels but couldn't find any. I find this method of changing stuff quite tedious. LoL I wonder how it could be made easier?
#18 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 9:11 AM
By having the fields better labelled in s3pe. Unfortunately there never quite seems to be time for these details...

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#19 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 4:17 PM
I understand the lack of time Inge, so I hope you didn't take my comment as anything like criticism for all the stuff you do. I do appreciate all the time you and Peter both give.

If there is any help you need with that I can see if I can squeeze some time in. But I am not an application programmer, and I certainly wouldn't want to screw something up! And sometimes I need things dumbed down too. So it might be more work to teach me than it's worth.