Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 4:48 AM
Default looking for help/toots
hi!, i recently ran across a download over here that said converted from sims2.

i want to convert some of my sins2 mansions and gardens expansion pack to sims3. all i've been able to do so far is open up the glasses mesh in the tutorial. im in need (lmao a request?) of some direction so that i can see if i can export/import my stuff into my sims3 game.

the bottom line is this; i want to learn some more of this stuff because i want to mesh a circular staircase for my house that im copying from a set of prints that i copied off of someones link here in the site.

thanks! :lovestruc
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 4:54 AM
There are quite a few tutorials in the Tutorials:TS3_Meshing_Tutorialswiki, best thing to do is read and start small to get a working object in game.

At this time circular stairs would simply be decoration since animations are still an unknown to edit. Wes has made progress with animation, but I don't think it is anywhere near ready to create custom ones for stairs.
Alchemist
#3 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 4:59 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 8th Feb 2010 at 5:18 AM.
If you want to learn how to mesh stuff for Sims 3 there are several good tutorials for that in this forum. There is also a thread regarding converting Sims 2 items to Sims 3. If you're wanting to mesh for Sims 3 you should start with those. Browse through the pages and you'll find the threads.

As far as I know a circular (spiral?) staircase would require custom animation for the object which there is no tool for. If you want that you're gonna have to code the thing yourself.

eta: Looking at the Wiki page I'd say it's in need of updated.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 5:26 AM
thanks!
ill read slower this time around LOL
ok, ill look for that conversion toot

well that sucks, hopefully you wizards out there will have a breakthrough soon

i'm curious whats attached in the stairs file listed as a walking path? i'm not sure if there are nodes attached to the stairs that give the sims a direction to walk up or down. i was thinking that maybe you could "re-direct" the "stair walking" path and have that aligned into the middle of the stairs and increase the elevation on the steps at each turn. the elevations would still start at ground level and end at the same height of the "regular" stairs. hmm id better get to reading!!

thanks again

*edit*
i think it could be done! i just remembered that when you have the cheats on and there are elevation changes in terrain or the pool elevations the sims "appear" to walk on water or over the terrain and sometimes fall in or walk crazy whereas if the cheats were not available they would be walking normally. hmmmm
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 4:49 PM Last edited by jokera_us : 8th Feb 2010 at 5:04 PM. Reason: internet is acting up
reading does help!
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=249237
there is a sims2 spiral stair case. the post says the person hasnt logged in for some time but i will post something to him/her to see if they will let me take a try at converting their spiral stairs for sims3 for my house.
*edit*

i couldnt post the person a message. the webpage timed out on me. ill read som emore tutorials and see if i can learn some more LOL
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Feb 2010 at 5:13 PM
If it's just for your own game you don't need permission from the original creator. I'd still recommend you do a tutorial first, one that involves a simpler object, if you want to learn how to mesh for ts3.

Also, in my experience, it's a lot faster to construct a mesh from scratch rather than copying an existing one (for a different game at that –*UV mapping and texturing need to be done differently for ts3 than for ts2), but YMMV.

Like HL already said: what you'd end up with if you'd clone this is simply a decorative item – copying a mesh is not the same thing as doing a ts3 animation.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.