Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 5:21 PM Last edited by simsample : 23rd Apr 2012 at 6:47 PM. Reason: Spotted Typo!
Default Making a world a City.
Information from this thread is now on the wiki ; please post all further discussion in this thread.

Please see this tutorial for details about enabling world type flagging within the CAW tool.

Note: This thread is largely discussion and discovery about the code needed to flag a world as a city; for ease of use I have amended this initial post to summarise the information found so far. Thank you to all who contribute to this thread!

The resource responsible for determining the characteristics of a world is UNKN 0x296A6258.

Here is a comparison of how this resource appears in each of the the EA Worlds:

Code:
Byte number....00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09
Bridgeport.......01 00 D7 E3 FF 09 02 00 00 00
Twinbrook.......01 00 FA 10 B6 09 00 00 00 00
Barnacle Bay.....01 00 B8 6E 86 08 00 00 00 00
Hidden Springs...01 00 B8 6E 86 08 00 00 00 00
Lunar Lakes.......01 00 B8 6E 86 08 00 00 00 00 
China.............01 00 4C DB 59 08 01 00 00 00
Egypt............01 00 48 DB 59 08 01 00 00 00
France...........01 00 50 DB 59 08 01 00 00 00
AppaloosaPlains...01 00 6D C5 50 0C 00 00 00 00
Sunset Valley: Not present
Riverview: Not present. 

The relevant byte for determining the world type is byte 06, which defaults to 00 (suburb) but could also be 02 (City) or 01 (Vacation world).

Code:
Byte 06 of UNKN 0x296A6258:

00: Suburb (will have a suburb icon in the 'select a town' dialog)
01: Vacation World (will not show in the 'select a town' dialog, and expects a base camp)
02: City (will have a city icon in the 'select a town' dialog, and the traffic manager will yield fake taxis and work the food trucks)

It is byte 06 that you will need to change if you wish to flag your world as a city- you will need to import UNKN 0x296A6258 and set it to 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00. If you wish to try this yourself you can obtain a copy of UNKN 0x296A6258 from any of the EA worlds except Sunset/ Riverview, and modify it yourself. Alternatively, I have made a copy of this resource set to 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00, download it HERE. .
Note: Twallan has made a mod to enable the traffic manager in non city worlds, you can get it HERE, if you would rather not mod your world. However, Sims MX points out that there may be more to a city than just the traffic manager, so it may be worth while modding your world!

The other bytes in the resource appear to identify specifics about the world, and so will identify a specific world. If you import UNKN 0x296A6258 from one of the EA worlds into a custom world it will have the side effect of obliterating the world description, possibly due to the EA worlds having a referenced description.

If you copy the information in bytes 02, 03, 04 and 05 from the vacation worlds to a custom world, it has the effect of flagging that world as a foreign locale, and hence changing the name database, clothing, transport, music, nationality etc., of the world.

Quote: Originally posted by Pyronium3
So far, this is what I noticed when I included the Egypt resource (01 00 48 DB 59 08 00 00 00 00)
- Egyptian music
- Egyptian NPCs: names, hairstyles, clothing; applied to all NPCs including mixologists, paparazzi, townies, etc.
- All Sims living in the hood would have the Egyptian nationality icon.
- Landmark tombs have the correct logo, and there's explorers throughout the world visiting these.
- Special goods vendor selling Egyptian visa awards moves into town and has a logo in map view.
- Both the relic and general goods registers sell items like they do in Egypt, plus, the food register now also sells Egyptian food.
- All NPCs walk to their destinations, there's no traffic.
- The default mode of transport for your household Sims is a Moped (not for children), opposed to a taxi. This can still be set to any car you own.

You cannot mix and match- you either have an Egyptian world, or a Chinese world, or a French world- you can't have a combination (as a nonstandard combination breaks the resource).

The locales are set by the following in UNKN 0x296A6258:
Code:
Byte number:    00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09
France:         01 00 50 DB 59 08 00 00 00 00
Egypt:          01 00 48 DB 59 08 00 00 00 00
China:          01 00 4C DB 59 08 00 00 00 00

Please note that the following adverse effects have been noted:
Quote: Originally posted by skmt999
My Sim kept getting offered Adventures that didn't exist, the immigrant sims had weird mis-matched names, Chinese first names and Default EA last names. Guan Yin Juarez is just a little... eh... bizarre for my plans.

So, it is possible to flag your world as a chinese, French or Egyptian suburb, and of course you could also have a chinese, French, or Egyptian City too. However, it is not possible to have a City vacation destination, since byte 06 has to be set to EITHER 02 (City) or 01 (vacation), and cannot be both.

Further information:
https://sites.google.com/site/hugelunatic/ts3-misc

This information was discovered by the many contributors to this thread, and by Tamlo31here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...ighlight=france
Thank you to everyone, and please continue to add information, research and discuss!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  S3_296A6258_00000000_0000000000000001%%+UNKN.zip (204 Bytes, 1612 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 9:22 PM Last edited by Jasumi : 5th Nov 2010 at 9:53 PM.
Thanks alot! I've tried doing this myself, but with no luck. Glad you managed to find it. I noticed the neighborhood description was dropped, too. But, save files of the older version of the neighborhood do register as a Late Night town after the world file is changed.
Retired
retired moderator
#3 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 9:08 AM
Great work simsample, thanks. Looking forward to seeing how this develops, it would be great to apply the LN features to more custom worlds.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Test Subject
#4 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 1:04 PM
thanks a lot!that was fundamental....traffic will be much needed for NY World
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 4:26 PM Last edited by simsample : 11th Feb 2011 at 1:19 PM. Reason: Re-linked images
Well, I'm not sure whether that flag is the only thing marking a world as a city. As mentioned, I haven't had any luck making the food trucks work in Sunset or a custom world, it seems that I must be missing some kind of spawner or perhaps another flag/ resource for that. Shame, as the food trucks were what I was trying to fix!

Also, as Jasumi said, the WDDT string doesn't display correctly in a custom world with this resource added. You can see that on my first image above- the 'Jericho' world has a descripton which doesn't display, although it is there in the WDDT:

The WDDT for Sunset does display correctly though, even if I add the 'city' resource. The WDDT however takes a different form to that of a custom world, referencing something in the game files, or perhaps elsewhere in the World file, instead:

Bridgeport is similar to Sunset, having a reference instead of a text string:

All I know at this time is that the resource I isolated adds city traffic (those fake taxis with no driver), adds the city icon in the world selection screen (as well as the 'this is a late night city' tooltip) and breaks a custom world WDDT. More research is needed, as I'm not sure what else is different in a city to a suburb!

So, if any of you would like to add this file to Sunset, Twinbrook or a custom world and see what happens, or if you can get food trucks to work, please do! I could use some help!

(Food truck and parking space available here. )
Screenshots
Test Subject
#6 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 11:50 PM
great discovery!

well after adding the resource to my already installed custom world, first 5 few minutes of game play I see this baby rolling the the street.

the same truck I placed at the bridgeport sports bar parking lot a few days ago. I never noticed it driving around before, but I cant say for sure it had anything to do with the resource being added

(sorry for the big pictures)
Scholar
#7 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 1:44 AM
I too have seen the food truck driving around on one occasion, but I've never seen one parked :/
Test Subject
#8 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 7:59 AM
Where do we put the file?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 12:37 PM
x.Tone.Def- if I place foodtruck parking spaces with a foodtruck on them, the trucks will drive off eventually, but not come back. Are the trucks driving around and then re-parking in your game? Perhaps I didn't wait long enough!

Yuffi3- you need to import the resource into the .world file using S3Pe. You can import either to your CAW raw world file, or into a packed world file (for example, in your Installed Worlds folder). Be sure to backup any files before you alter them- if you were to do as I did and edit Sunset or Twinbrook, I can guarantee that the patch installer will complain next time, so you'll need to keep an unedited backup.
Test Subject
#10 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 2:28 PM
Thank you for reply simsample.

I have S3PE installed but have not got round to using it yet so i am compleatly new to S3Pe.

I have started a city world i am building with CAW and its coming along realy well, so i would realy love to set this world to a city.

Can you please explain how to do this with S3PE to set the world in to my CAW world or point me to a tutorial, i realy would appreciate the help.
Test Subject
#11 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 3:22 PM
well one thing I noticed after playing a little while last night, a parked truck will eventually drive off then show up on an empty truck shop parking space I placed on another lot like in actual Bridgeport. I'll definitely check if it comes back next time I'm in game
Test Subject
#12 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 4:42 PM
It's ok i worked it out how to do it (Yay for me ).

I instaled the world and tested it out and the taxis are moving around the streets.

i noticed the same as X. Tone that the food truck moved off from a parking bay on a lot and drove off up the street, then it got to a junction and disapeared, but i only have the one lot with a food truck parking bay.

Thanks a lot for sharing your info and the file, you have made my day.

a couple of questions: how do you get the pidgeonsto show up on the lots i couldent see them in caw or buydebug.
Also i built my own apartmen building from scratch, not using a higrise shell, i put the call box and mall box and made several empty room using the room markers but no other sims moved in to the building, any idea on this?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Nov 2010 at 9:32 PM
x.Tone.Def- thanks for the info, I tried it again in my 'city' Sunset Valley and it works! What I had to do was to place more food truck parking spaces- I placed one on most of the community lots (around 15 in all I guess) and then after a few hours I had trucks parking. I kept seeing them driving around but it took a long time for one to arrive at the two spaces I was watching, but when I paused the game and checked I found several other places where they were parked too. So, place lots of food truck parking spaces with food trucks on them, and it will soon work!

Yuffi3- well done for figuring that out! Perhaps this little bit of data is all that's needed for a city, after all. For your apartment question- leave it for a few days, I've heard people say that it can take a while for neighbours to move in to an apartment.
For the pigeon question- you can easily place pigeons on a lot, they are effects from the 'fog generator' as outlined here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=424256
If you want pigeons outside of a lot in the actual world file, then that's a little more complicated- I couldn't find them in the game data files (although I did find the Twinbrook swamp mist effect), so I had to import them from Bridgeport into my world. I obtained the lighthouse beam effect the same way- that's easy to get on a lot but I wanted it in the world, dammit! It involves a bit of hex editing and a bit of searching, but it is possible- you just have to add a layer from another world to your own.
Test Subject
#14 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 9:18 PM
Hey simsample thanks a lot for your help buddy.

i can now carry on with my city world and have it work as a proper city world with all functions.
with a hell of a lot of searching, i found out how to get custom built apartments working, you have to set the doors to npc doors so npc's can move in.

thanks for your pigeon link
Test Subject
#15 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 4:27 PM
sorry but maybe i'm doing something wrong...i download your source file, i open my .world and choose "import"...then i import your file, say ok to the window that pops up then save and exit.
but the world is still a suburb....help please
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Nov 2010 at 10:06 PM
manustyle90, is this a packed world one you are using in CAW? As you can see from my screenshots, I didn't compress the resource when I imported it, so try importing with the 'compressed' box unticked. Also be sure to delete your caches (including world caches) in case something there is affecting it. If you are amending the EA worlds (Sunset or Twinbrook) you need to remove the original before placing your copy.
Theorist
#17 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 6:07 PM Last edited by tizerist : 10th Nov 2010 at 7:44 PM.
Ok, thanks to everyone for the info.
On my custom hood I've got the city flag with taxis and food trucks zooming around, and slowing down at truck spots, but not parking back in them. I have placed 6 truck stops, all with trucks (Sim2Kid405_carTruckFood) and no joy, I've fast forwarded like 4 days but nothing.
I'll keep testing though.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 6:40 PM
Very cool!! Thank you. What changes do you see in the world when you change this? I have a custom world that is a small town and I wouldn't mind having the food truck and maybe a bit more traffic in town. But I don't want subways and all that. Would it still be worth making this change even if the world is not a big city? Even small towns have more foot traffic than I am currently seeing in my world.

Thanks for this, Simsample!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 11:49 AM Last edited by simsample : 11th Feb 2011 at 1:20 PM. Reason: Chenged link
Tizerist- I had to place around 15 before I could get it to work, and even then I had to wait for around 8 sim hours before the trucks began parking. So try placing more! The food truck you are using states that it is a clone, so therefore the game may see it as a different object. Try using my food truck and parking space instead- download here - as they are just a modified OBJD and not a clone.

rian90, I think subways will function in any world- it's not dependent on the world being a city. As far as I can tell, changing the world to a city causes 'fake traffic' (i.e, the taxis with no-one in them) and allows food trucks to function correctly. There are a whole bunch of xmls to do with how the subways are routed, so it's possible also that there are differences in the way sims choose to travel in a city. Not sure if there is any impact regarding opportunities, lot types or population though. So this modification would definitely give you the impression that your world was busier. Bear in mind though that this is still experimental, so backup your files before you change them.
Theorist
#20 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 4:01 PM
Still nothing.
I replaced my files with yours and started all over, placed 16 of both objects, removed all my hacks once I found out one of them moved your truckstop from buydebug to vehicle misc, and camped a camera next to a 'hotspot' for 4 days. But they don't appear on the slot. They pull over and pull away often enough, but not on the lots.

I'll keep my savegame this way in the meantime anyhow.

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th Nov 2010 at 12:37 AM
Do you have the 'fake' taxis appearing as they do in Bridgeport, Tizerist? I just tested this again in another of my custom worlds which is large sized, and it worked fine. I placed 16 parking spaces with trucks and then watched in a place where there were two truck parking spaces (both community lots, zoned to visitors allowed). In three sim days one of the spaces got visited seven times (I noticed that it would stay longer if there were sims on the lot), but the second space did not get a truck visit at all. I wondered if this was due to the fact that the second lot had a rabbithole (spa) on it, but of course it could just be random. So perhaps try on different lots, with different zoning?
Theorist
#22 Old 12th Nov 2010 at 9:00 PM Last edited by tizerist : 12th Nov 2010 at 9:27 PM.
Haha, it works now.
Awesomemod cleans the town of the food trucks as part of its housekeeping it seems. I started again and the first few have appeared.
I haven't noticed any patterns yet, and the process needs to be simplified somewhat but it works. Nice one.

Edit : so far Hangout, Visitors allowed and big park are working . And now gym.

#BlairWitchPetition
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 8:13 AM
Ahh, glad it's working now! So- if we have a mod that cleans up these vehicles, it looks like we need to manually replace them as they don't respawn?
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 2:17 PM
Hi all,

Thank you all VERY MUCH for this GREAT JOB!... I was really waiting for something like this about editing a city game in CAW...

But I've questions to simsample or anybody who masters this subject. On your first screenshot, it's easy to see that the ressouce you've edited in SPE is a 0x296A6258.
I've tried to locate this resource in *.world whithout succes...

So my followings 2 questions:

1 - Where can I find this resource ? Is it in a EA made world like SV or RiverView or else or is it to find in a self custom World ?
2 - the resource S3_296A6258_00000000_0000000000000001%%+UNKN.bnry you give us to download is it to add to a clone of SV (for example) I should like to modify ?

Is it some important information I missed in your post ?

Thanks a lot for answers.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 2:49 PM
zano972- sorry to not make myself clearer! The resource 0x296A6258 was extracted from Bridgeport World, which as you know is the first EA world we have which is marked 'city'. The others, Twinbrook, Sunset and Riverview, all show as Suburbs, which seems to be the default setting for any neighbourhood. It is only by adding 0x296A6258 that the world becomes flagged as a city.

So if you want to find this resource for yourself, look in Bridgeport World file which is located in Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Late night\ Game Data\ Shared\ NonPackaged\ Worlds.

To flag a world as a city, import 0x296A6258 into the world file. You can either do this to a completed, packed world (for example, one from your Installed Worlds folder) or you can add it to a World file you are working on in Create-a-world.

I tried it on a custom worlds I have made, and I also made Sunset Valley into a city. If you do this please remember to backup your files, because the game checks your files each time a patch is installed. Also, we don't fully know the implications of making a world into a city, so it's best not to share any cities yet. If you can test your cities and let us know if there are any problems, it will be very helpful!
Locked thread
Page 1 of 9