Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2013 at 10:44 PM Last edited by alissonp : 20th Mar 2013 at 1:14 PM.
Default Why do objects made with SketchUp are invisible in the game?
I have a lot of 3d models here I downloaded to make furniture, already tried (I used 3dsMax 2013) some of them and it worked just fine (well, as good as it can look by now that I'm just learning how to do).
I also want to do my things, my 3D creations, but I don't know how to do with 3dsMax, so I tried with SketchUp, the 3d model looks nice with SketchUp and 3dsMax, but when I import the mesh to TSR Workshop, it shows invisible, and so does in the game. One of those models (tried the same object several times, and made it again), if you look the object in the back, then you can see some parts, but still shows invisible, and the other one shows totally invisible.

Can someone help me? I don't know anymore what to do.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 20th Mar 2013 at 10:01 AM
has to do how you export the mesh(and more important, its uvmap)
Check the export functions in Sketchup
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Mar 2013 at 1:09 PM
Actually, I don't "export", I just save and import with 3ds Max. Is it the heart of the problem? If it is, I will have to find SketchUp Pro.
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 20th Mar 2013 at 8:09 PM
you can check by applying your texture to the mesh in 3ds MAX.
Check wether it has the same invisible issues.

My uvmap always gets messed up if i convert from sketchup to other 3d programs(even with Pro)
There should be a option tab were you can set export options for the uvmap.
Instructor
#5 Old 20th Mar 2013 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alissonp
One of those models (tried the same object several times, and made it again), if you look the object in the back, then you can see some parts, but still shows invisible, and the other one shows totally invisible.

This would lead me to the idea that some of the faces are inside-out.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Mar 2013 at 9:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Monsoon
This would lead me to the idea that some of the faces are inside-out.

I don't know about 3d "rules", so I've no idea of what you are talking about, but if you know how to correct it, please tell me!

I would do it with 3dsMax, but it's no to easy in there (at least to me), and with SketchUp there's that pencil tool.
Instructor
#7 Old 20th Mar 2013 at 10:29 PM
If you made it in SketchUp, when you open the file, the faces are either white or blueish, when no texture is applied. If its external side is blueish, you'll need to select it, go to Edit->Face->Reverse Faces.

CORRECT

INCORRECT
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Mar 2013 at 11:32 PM Last edited by alissonp : 21st Mar 2013 at 2:39 AM.
yes, some of them are not white. I already did change the faces, the model works with TSR Workshop and in the game catalog, but when I put it on the floor, it is stil white.
by the way, do you have the answer for my other question? http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=499265