Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2008 at 9:27 PM Last edited by 73rd_survivor : 9th May 2008 at 8:09 PM.
Default Problems with custom painting
I followed this tutorial to recolor a painting; I got it to work no problem.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=95015

But it doesn't cover everything. 3 things I want to do: give it a new cost, change the frame color, and give it a new description.

So I cloned the object instead of using PhotoStudio. My new painting:
+ Has a new cost.
+ Has a new frame color but..
- ..the quality of the image went down. My original is a Jpeg and "i think" SimPE converted it into a Png. (I can tell it's worse quality because I put the 2 paintings I made side-by-side.)
- I can't change the Description. Using SimPE on the object, it shows what I wrote, but it won't change in-game.

1: What is the best way to recolor a frame without losing image quality?
2: How do you change the description of an cloned painting?

Namasté.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 8th May 2008 at 11:15 PM Last edited by sweetswami77 : 8th May 2008 at 11:47 PM.
What graphics editor are you using? If it's Photoshop (or something like it, like paint.net or Gimp), there is a feature which allows you to sharpen an image. In Photoshop, go to Enhance, then "Adjust Sharpness". In paint.net, it's Effects, Photo, "Sharpen". I'm not sure about Gimp, but I'm assuming you can do the same with that.

Once you have a nice, crisp image, save the file as a .png. Instead of hitting the "Import" button, right click on the texture image and "Build DXT" (this only works if you have nVidia DDS capabilities downloaded on your computer). The "Import" button, from what I understand, does some sort of file compression that can distort your image.

As for the catalog description, did you give the new painting a new GUID? If not, that may be why it's not showing in your game.

Hope this helps!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th May 2008 at 3:16 AM
-Build DXT: that works. It keeps the image from losing quality.

-Ah, you know what I did? I missed a step. In Simpe, I need to click the button that says Default language only. (The Guid was registered, but until I clicked that languages button it was going to keep the original description.)

Thank you! Now I got an awesome wall-painting.

Namasté.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 9th May 2008 at 7:21 PM
Glad that worked. ;o)