Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 4:44 PM
Default Lansbury House
I got enthused about building a house following a WCIF by kluluplay for the Murder She Wrote house: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...613#post5268613

I have no intention of building an authentic (as possible) version of that house but I like copying real life houses and liked the look of that one (both the lots I've uploaded here are 'copies' or interpretations of another source). Anyway, here's what I've got so far and a reference picture (also a link to further reference pictures if you want to have a look: http://hookedonhouses.net/2014/12/1...rder-she-wrote/). What I'm currently trying to work out is how to do those little roofs above the ground floor windows. I tried little lean-to roofs with the fencing and then have been trying out the wall top finish (frieze?) things you find in architecture as in these pictures. You can't combine those two options and I'm not too happy with the result of either on their own. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get it done? Or even just general feedback?

The idea with an unfurnished version is to do it as CC-free as possible. I was thinking a furnished version might use more suitable CC windows and that I might do a new wall set based on that scalloped EAxis wall and maybe a white fence instead of that in-game one for the little roofs but, first things first, I wanted to get the CC-free version working in a satisfactory way.

There are no floor plans for the original house that I could find so I've divided up the space inside in a way that makes sense for me. Interior shots on TV shows are often shot in a different building or on a set so they don't necessarily match anyway. Besides, I don't want to reproduce the TV set but will eventually furnish it in a similar style I think. I just realise the original also has a chimney - I'll have to work that out shortly.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 3:24 AM
Hmmm...can you use the hipped roof to top the windows and then draw the fence through it, giving the impression of a flat top?

Input on the floorplan: in most 19th century American houses of this size, you'd have a double parlor downstairs with French doors between, either central or one on either side of the fireplace. Unless the owner was someone likely to do consultations in home and need an office, the study would be smaller and more toward the back of the house. Those large windows, suitable for watching the street and waving to passersby, make the room too public for a study. I suggest tucking the study into the back and putting the fireplace in one or both of the parlors. You should be able to position it so that the flue runs up the wall in a bedroom, which can either have a fireplace, too, or benefit from the heated wall. I would also expect a back door into the kitchen, which ought to be separate from the dining room, not run together like that. Of course, the back bathroom might be an enclosed porch and the interior wall might have been removed at one point in modernization.

Since Murder, She Wrote is set in Maine, the house would be designed to conserve heat in the winter and circulate air in the summer. You undoubtedly know more about conserving heat than I do!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 2:57 PM
Yeah - the actual back door seems to be in the middle of the kitchen wall to the right (on the picture) - as far as I can tell from the source pictures. But I'm not happy with it there and was going to put on either on the other side of the kitchen - to the left of the 'K' where there's currently a window - or, as you say, in the lean to porch (though I thought a bathroom there would probably be more useful). The source pictures don't show the back so I'm kind of making it up. The other issue is because it's on a foundation, that will mean steps (somewhere) though I might CFE the porch area and have steps down into it.

I tried the hipped roof over the windows, as I said, and I'm not particularly happy with it. I did take some pictures. I'll see if I can find them. I'm thinking now maybe some CC roofing bits. Gets away from the minimal CC for the unfurnished version. I've been building stuff for years with the game engine but I'm coming up empty with a solution for that that doesn't involve CC.

As for the kitchen/dining area, I agree it's likely they would be separate in reality but I was thinking of playability and that has fewer routing issues. I might see how it looks once I dress it up with furniture before I think of putting a wall there. Not sure I can fit a study at the back but I like the idea of two linked rooms. The outline of the floorplan is fixed because of the source material and the way the roof works - hmmm, might fiddle with that. Thanks for the input.

My other issue is those bloody great gable ends. I could lower the roof but it would cause issues with the roof over the kitchen and also, the source has very steep roofs though the eaves come much lower than you can do in game.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 4:05 PM
One reason the gables look so big is that the front is bigger than the original. You've got three windows where the original had two, top and bottom, so it's wider. I think the original gables are steeper than 45 degrees, which also slims them down visually; but I'm not at all sure the game would give the same effect if you went for a 50 degree angle even on a narrower front.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 5:30 PM Last edited by maxon : 11th Sep 2017 at 6:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
One reason the gables look so big is that the front is bigger than the original. You've got three windows where the original had two, top and bottom, so it's wider. I think the original gables are steeper than 45 degrees, which also slims them down visually; but I'm not at all sure the game would give the same effect if you went for a 50 degree angle even on a narrower front.

Yes, I decided 3 windows would give me a better proportion for the rooms - the windows on the original are quite wide anyway. I also thought about the higher angle but it would just make that expanse of wall even bigger I think.

Edit: this is what the windows look like with the hipped roof - also the 50 degree roof which, as you say, is closer to the original but I think it's miles too tall. Also added an outline of a possible kitchen-dining arrangement.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 11:11 PM
Maybe the hipped thing would work at 15 degrees. Probably not. And mansards that small would just be hipped roofs.Yeah, I think you're stuck.

That downstairs looks eminently playable; and now it has some color in it.

Instructor
#7 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 11:34 PM
Hrm, been quite some time since I've built in Sims 2, but can a stage and roof exist in the same space? Like the stage can disguise the top of the hipped roof and square it off, then have the fencing on the edge of the stage?

(I'd close off the kitchen. Ain't no one in the 1890s* wanna see where the food was cooked whilst eating. )

* - rough approximation.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 1:31 AM
Yes, stages and roofs can exist in the same space but I don't think that would work as a solution here - I did try something like that. The roofs and the stage are too mismatched. I'll try fiddling some more but I think it's going to have to be CC.

I do the white all over thing Peni because I want it blank before I start thinking about interior decor. It wouldn't stay that way.

I'll put the back door in that porch tomorrow I think.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cutsocks

(I'd close off the kitchen. Ain't no one in the 1890s* wanna see where the food was cooked whilst eating. )

* - rough approximation.

No; but it's being used in modern day, and knocking out a wall to open up space is common when remodeling. The space could be delineated with a half-wall behind the counters or a change in flooring and/or wall treatments.

Instructor
#10 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 6:19 AM
Not sure if this would work, since I don' t have an installed game with me right now, but I would experiment with some awnings over the windows around flat tile roofing with the fences. As far as a CC solution, some mansard mesh shapes on a shed roof (is that even possible?) or some deco based on the mansard pieces in architectural elements section.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 6:47 AM
Have you tried a shed gable roof over the windows?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 12:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
No; but it's being used in modern day, and knocking out a wall to open up space is common when remodeling. The space could be delineated with a half-wall behind the counters or a change in flooring and/or wall treatments.

Yes, I was thinking of something like that.
Quote: Originally posted by d4RE
Not sure if this would work, since I don' t have an installed game with me right now, but I would experiment with some awnings over the windows around flat tile roofing with the fences. As far as a CC solution, some mansard mesh shapes on a shed roof (is that even possible?) or some deco based on the mansard pieces in architectural elements section.

Not sure awnings would work though I could try it. There are mansard meshes available - just not one in that style (that I know of). I might have to do a recolour or even a slight re-mesh (I'm not the best mesher or recolourer). Some of Pixelhate's roofings have a more-or-less suitable shape and size though would need some tweaking. I could use those as a clone base.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Have you tried a shed gable roof over the windows?

Could try that too.

I'll post a bit later with experiments. Thanks for the input guys.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 1:55 AM Last edited by maxon : 19th Sep 2017 at 1:28 AM.
I didn't get round to much today but thought I'd post this - Jo's suggeston of the lean to roof. Looks neater but that's still not it.

I was thinking of something like these - psychosim not pixelhate (apols). There's also a half height EAxis roof mesh available which I might adapt by shrinking it further.
Screenshots

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 11:59 PM
It's not correct but that's what I would use if going for cc free.

Those cc roof pieces could work if made shorter.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Those cc roof pieces could work if made shorter.

Yes - that's the plan. I'll post when I get on with it. (bit busy right now - back to work this week).

I'm debating now whether to go for CC free or not - I made a wall set matched in colour to that white scallop and am debating about whether I want a closer match to the little roofs or am going to be happy with those shed roofs (not happy really - but then CC free is popular). So maybe an upload with build CC content. I'd prefer to use a better matched window too.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 7:22 PM
Finally! FINALLY! I got this for the front window roofs - I think I'm fairly happy with that. But the question now is should I leave that fence there or not?

I had to remap that - I hate mapping at the best of times but it's a real pain with a slaved object and one that has changed size so much.
Screenshots

Scholar
#17 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 2:53 AM
I'd say leave the fence, from a low angle it looks very close to the real house, even if it looks slightly odd from high above. Great job on those roof pieces, definitely a necessary item for Victorians that I'm amazed no one has made before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 27th Oct 2017 at 10:54 PM
The roof pieces look good maxon. definitely something that was needed.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 12th Nov 2017 at 6:41 PM
Finally they're mapped - just about. I HATE mapping. These are nearly ready for upload. I can't quite believe they're ok.

The mapping isn't perfect, especially with the steel plate type roofing. They're slaved to the original pieces which makes it difficult to do.
Screenshots