Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 3:52 PM
Default New Cornish World
I've been working on this idea for a year or so now; been through two or three versions now! It's a bit of a challenge; my inspiration has come from the town where I live (shrunk down a lot, lol) and the fishing village of Port Isaac, and everything round here is really steep and hilly.

But I'm quite pleased with how this latest version, that I've been working on for a week or two, is looking so far. It's a long way from finished, but it's looking a lot better now than it was a few days ago, when it was all bare!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 3:58 PM
Nice start! I look forward to seeing more!
Alchemist
#3 Old 4th Nov 2017 at 5:16 PM
I like the rolling fields and hills, very scenic. Can't wait to see it with some more terrainpaints added.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#4 Old 9th Nov 2017 at 3:50 PM
You need to change the opacty layer of the 'dirt' road sidewalk for it to look dirt-ish. Also choose another main road texture for it.

Also, you'd be surprised what terrain texturing can do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
You need to change the opacty layer of the 'dirt' road sidewalk for it to look dirt-ish. Also choose another main road texture for it.

I've spent SO much time editing the roads! I really don't like the effect you get using the dirt sidewalk opacity, and I haven't found a texture for the roads that I'm really happy about either :/

Quote:
Also, you'd be surprised what terrain texturing can do.

That'll be something to work on, if I carry on with this world; I'm not sure I'm happy with it... Any particular tips you can offer? I've seen your worlds, they're fantastic! Even if I don't continue with this one, it'll come in handy for next time
Mad Poster
#6 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 11:03 PM
Let's see more of what you have done. Have you done anything on the coast yet? If you are not happy make a list or at least note specifically what you like and do not like so you do not do the same next time. Or better yet, if you are happy with this mostly, just make the changes needed to make it into what you want. Making a world is not fast progress and most of us change a heck of a lot over the time we are working on it.

IMO it is a good start and I would say carry on, at least a while longer.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 8:17 PM
Hello,
Here is a little help with your road. This is the set up I use with almost every world I work on. I can send you the corner fix, if you decide to use it or just use one of the other, similiar corners in CaW.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 8:33 PM
I love your world because you made lots of rolling hills. I really detest super flat worlds, they are just very uninteresting. I hope you keep with it. Don't get discouraged but when you do...take a break..then come back when you are inspired again.

Roads can be very tricky. What I've learned is don't make one long, continuous section...make short sections, then curve them or keep them straight, then connect them by pulling the dark blue square at the ends. This way you can add the intersection pieces as you go along. Also, keep the sidewalk on the road till you are finished = then change/edit it if you want a more opaque/dirt type of sidewalk. It helps with lot placement. Hope this helped. Good Luck- and keep at it!!! ( I would definately download your world - if it's not too large : )
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 9:00 PM Last edited by KatyFernlily : 17th Nov 2017 at 9:28 PM.
Hello again,
Here is the dirt road I use that matches with the above street. A word about the opacity sidewalk - it's going to look all choppy so that's why you use a terrain paint to go along the edges to make it look more natural. I'm including this so you can have these textures if you want. https://emmies.dreamwidth.org/3484.html Also, these roads are very nice as well. http://modthesims.info/t/386873
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 9:16 PM
Here are better screens - I'm such a newb.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 9:25 PM Last edited by fluttermoth : 17th Nov 2017 at 10:14 PM.
I'm not hating it quite so much today.

I think my problem is, I usually have a clear picture of what I want to do in my head before I start, and I never did with this one, I thought I'd wing it and make it up as I went along, and it hasn't really worked out.

I also think it might have ended up being too big; it was really only meant to be a backdrop for playing with horses, and I think I might have over complicated things

But I'll keep it going, although I might have a go at something smaller on the side :p

Oh, and thanks for the road tips, that's very handy
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KatyFernlily
I love your world because you made lots of rolling hills. I really detest super flat worlds, they are just very uninteresting. I hope you keep with it. Don't get discouraged but when you do...take a break..then come back when you are inspired again.

Roads can be very tricky. What I've learned is don't make one long, continuous section...make short sections, then curve them or keep them straight, then connect them by pulling the dark blue square at the ends. This way you can add the intersection pieces as you go along. Also, keep the sidewalk on the road till you are finished = then change/edit it if you want a more opaque/dirt type of sidewalk. It helps with lot placement. Hope this helped. Good Luck- and keep at it!!! ( I would definately download your world - if it's not too large : )

Thanks very much. I'm afraid this one is on the largest map, but I think it's too big, so I might make a smaller version
Mad Poster
#13 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 11:19 PM
I like medium or small best. The one world I am working on that is a redo of one started by someone else is actually a small one, and that world is pretty big actually. More than big enough for what I want.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 12:12 AM
Well, don't feel like you have to fill the entire map. Some larger worlds use most of the map as a backdrop instead of distance terrains. And some of the nicest looking large maps have everything spaced out with pretty stuff inbetween lots. ; )
Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 4:36 AM
It is really nice that we have the options for so many sizes. So many possibilities.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 1:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KatyFernlily
And some of the nicest looking large maps have everything spaced out with pretty stuff inbetween lots. ; )

That's what I'm trying to achieve; Cornwall is actually pretty much like that! Some awesome places, but it can take blimming ages to get to them

Anyway, I opened up a medium map earlier; nope, much too small! I want to be able to make some decent trails for riding, so I need a map that's at least a couple of hours across
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 1:59 PM
Oh, I also discovered, while having a test play with it this morning, that I've got the orientation all wrong; you can't see see the sunrise or sunset from the village or any of the beaches! Grrr...
Mad Poster
#18 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 10:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttermoth
Oh, I also discovered, while having a test play with it this morning, that I've got the orientation all wrong; you can't see see the sunrise or sunset from the village or any of the beaches! Grrr...

That is the first thing I check. As soon as I start a world I check that and mark with a terrain paint arrow where the sun sets.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 12:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
That is the first thing I check. As soon as I start a world I check that and mark with a terrain paint arrow where the sun sets.

That's a great tip, I shall do that in future! I did have it orientated properly at the beginning, but I've somehow got lost, and twisted everything 90°! Rookie error, right there

I started a new one last night, and I'm already happier with it, so this one will go on the back burner. I'm not that disappointed; every time I make a world, I learn something that makes the next one better
Mad Poster
#20 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 3:56 AM
I have started at least 20-30 if not more worlds and finished or darn near finished maybe 8? It takes a lot of trial and error, but I love to work in CAW so it is worth it. Keep experimenting until you find one you are really pleased with and that will keep you going on that one.