Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2014 at 9:25 PM
Default How do you modify St. Claire?
I love St. Claire the moment I got it. It feels like a Premium world. Unlike EA worlds where they look good from the outside, but all the lots look half baked, horrendous, and sloppy. In St. Claire, I like 99% of the lot to the point I am afraid of making changes to them. The creator spent a lot of efforts to cater every tiny details even in the smallest lot.

But now, I am in need of empty space for a few community lots. I intend to build a downtown strip mall, a street food market (outdoor, or maybe indoor, but still with stalls after stalls), and stuff like that. Downtown St. Claire has a lot of nice apartment buildings, some "Hangout' that I converted into "Cafeteria" (works as a restaurant, with waiter), but I am running out of what to bulldoze or convert.

What do you guys do with St. Claire that works for your game?

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 14th Mar 2014 at 9:56 PM
There's a colorful cafe in the residential area - the one with an awesome wallpaper inside with a lot of colors - that's perfect as a comics store. I actually replicated the first floor and made a second floor so it's an cafe+comics store. I added the restaurant set from the store in one of the restaurants - the one in downtown next to the green area overlooking the bay - as it wasn't fancy enough. Now it looks like a real restaurant. I also added a Police Station in one of the residential areas but that's because one of the families that lives there has an PI.

Oh... Now I feel like playing it again! ♥
Forum Resident
#3 Old 14th Mar 2014 at 10:06 PM
The Rainbow Connection cafe? Totally turned that into a gay bar.

Anyway, I only just started playing St. Claire so I haven't had the opportunity to really make that many more changes. Next I think I'm going to remove the theatre RH and replace it with a skyscraper with that cinema store set, theater rabbit hole rug and maybe I'll also include a stage and mark it as a venue too.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Mar 2014 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Megido
The Rainbow Connection cafe? Totally turned that into a gay bar.

Anyway, I only just started playing St. Claire so I haven't had the opportunity to really make that many more changes. Next I think I'm going to remove the theatre RH and replace it with a skyscraper with that cinema store set, theater rabbit hole rug and maybe I'll also include a stage and mark it as a venue too.

Gay bar? lol, how do you make a gay bar?

I am considering removing some of the exclusive lounge because ... there aren't that many celebrities around. If they want to meet they can do a meet up easily. Maybe there is a way to lower the star rating needed to enter those lounges. Because, I really only have one 4-star celebrity.

Scholar
#5 Old 14th Mar 2014 at 10:42 PM
How did I never thought about making it a gay bar? My gaydar must be fucking broke. I guess mine could be a gay geeky cafe? LOL
Alchemist
#6 Old 14th Mar 2014 at 11:32 PM
I demolished the theather building and replaced it with a Starbucks style cafe. I love coffee houses. Then I added an ice skating arena to one of the biggest lots and a church to another. Also modified the cemetery but only slightly (changed the crypt to the Midnight Hollow one). I also removed the two underground rabbit holes; the school (made new one elsewhere) and the restaurant. I'm sure there was some idea behind those but I found it just plain odd to have two very big rabbits holes placed completely under the ground level. Also had to place some big rocks to a few places along the shoreline that were causing rounting issues. Also made a lifeguard tower to the beach and added the pirate ship restaurant to the other beach.

Oh, thanks for the gay bar tip.
One Minute Ninja'd
#7 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
I am considering removing some of the exclusive lounge because ... there aren't that many celebrities around. If they want to meet they can do a meet up easily. Maybe there is a way to lower the star rating needed to enter those lounges. Because, I really only have one 4-star celebrity.

You can still keep a lounge designated as an exclusive lounge, so it still requires formal wear, and serves the upscale Simsapolitan (something my alky sims HAVE to know how to make at home) but lose the velvet rope. No rope, no bouncer. No bouncer, any townie can wander in and reap the benefits an exclusive lounge has to offer (and it even still satisfies your sim wish to go to an exclusive bar, even when there is no rope or bouncer present). There, a populated exclusive lounge. Works the same for all the other lounges with ropes, too. Eliminating the bouncers livened up the places, and cut down the number of NPC's needing to be generated to staff them.
Inventor
#8 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 9:00 AM
Did some one say gay bar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XNFokmDKrE

Warning, that song will be stuck in your head all day.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Instructor
#9 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 2:35 PM
Oh did St.Clarie gome with a lot stuff from WA and Pets cuz i don't have them ???
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 5:01 PM Last edited by glastduke2131 : 16th Mar 2014 at 7:28 AM.
Just a side note, does anyone know how to change the name of the rabbit hole rugs because some of the St Clair lots still have the generic names. It confuses me all the time since there are so many duplicates of the same venue type all over town.

edit: I meant name of the rabbitholes not rugs sorry.
Alchemist
#11 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer4eveer
Oh did St.Clarie gome with a lot stuff from WA and Pets cuz i don't have them ???

This is from Awesims St. Claire page: "Well, I have been getting a number of reports that it *WILL* indeed work without all the EP’s, the various showtime lots etc just get changed to generic community lots and the items replaced. So it might be worth your while having a crack at it if you don’t have all the EP’s. It might look a little strange though. because I have fully used all the items within the expansions I’ve used "

And the updated version naturally adds Seasons ans Supernatural EP's to that list.

Quote: Originally posted by glastduke2131
Just a side note, does anyone know how to change the name of the rabbit hole rugs because some of the St Clair lots still have the generic rug names. It confuses me all the time since there are so many duplicates of the same venue type all over town.

There are no rabbit hole rugs used in St. Claire. The only CC is the Awesims cornices + 8 terrain paints. You mean changing the lot type?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 6:45 PM Last edited by tomomi1922 : 16th Mar 2014 at 9:06 AM.

You don't need to worry about that. TS3 does a good job at replacing items when it cannot find the items it needs in your installation. The only problem is once the change is made, there is no going back.

Before I got WA back (my 2nd play is from Steam, and I don't feel like paying for WA again), St. Claire has lots like laundromat, and within this lot, I have many ... refrigerators lining up. Lot type is changed to something generic "No Visitor Allowed". Why would a community lot need that many refrigerators? Until I checked the lot name!

After I bought all EP from EA sale, and went over to Origins using Steam's CDKey, I had to play St Claire from scratch in order to get all the intended lots back. And I found out there are some Supernatural type lots, some WA types (salon is one, beside laundromat), 3-4 venues from Showtime, coffeeshop from University, dog/cat parks from Pets, Clubs from Latenight. This is not the full list, but you know what I am talking about. You can play St. Claire just with basegame, but don't scratch your head when you see something "odd".

Forum Resident
#13 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 7:25 PM
Just a side note, does anyone know how to change the name of the rabbit hole rugs because some of the St Clair lots still have the generic rug names. It confuses me all the time since there are so many duplicates of the same venue type all over town.

St. Claire doesn't' use rabbit hole rugs iirc but you can change the name of any rabbit hole by having a sim buy it out and rename it.
Alchemist
#14 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 7:38 PM
The name can also be changed in the Edit Town mode.

St. Claire has lots like laundromat, and within this lot, I have many ... refrigerators lining up. Lot type is changed to something generic "No Visitor Allowed". Why would a community lot needs that many refrigerators? Until I checked the lot name!

I think I know the lot you mean. It's the back of the lot, right? Objects keeps spawning there in a large scale, like fridges, crips, toys, etc.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 7:40 PM
The name of the actual rabbit hole? I thought you could only change the lot name in Edit Town.

I've been buying up so many business for no reason then.
Alchemist
#16 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 7:45 PM Last edited by varpunen : 15th Mar 2014 at 8:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Megido
The name of the actual rabbit hole? I thought you could only change the lot name in Edit Town.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. What I meant is the changing of the lot type and from the same place the lot name and description. Maybe there is a one more option then. I must have missed that one.

Edit: Yep, your right. I stand corrected. But I noticed that Twallan's DebugEnabler has an option...

Change Name:
- Changes the name of the lot or rabbithole
- Available via the Lot or Rabbithole menu (not available for the City Hall)

Have you tried that?
Field Researcher
#17 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 7:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. What I meant is the changing of the lot type and from the same place the lot name and description. Maybe there is a one more option then. I must have missed that one.

Edit: Yep, your right. I stand corrected. But I noticed that Twallan's DebugEnabler has an option...

Change Name:
- Changes the name of the lot or rabbithole
- Available via the Lot or Rabbithole menu (not available for the City Hall)

Have you tried that?

I just poked around in DebugEnabler and it worked Thank you so much, honestly I've never been comfortable messing with DE anyway because I was afraid I would screw something up and ruin the thing.

Anyway, sometimes I feel a bit discouraged by the odd lot sizes in St. Clair, like I would spend hours redecorating a lot just to realize after that I can't really bring it to another world. One example would be those 25x40 row-house apartments in Bradford (I think?). After I discovered velocitygrass's addlotsize things got better but there still would be a lot of moving and shifting things around in new world to accommodate St. Clair lots.
Alchemist
#18 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 1:53 PM
I just poked around in DebugEnabler and it worked Thank you so much, honestly I've never been comfortable messing with DE anyway because I was afraid I would screw something up and ruin the thing.

Anyway, sometimes I feel a bit discouraged by the odd lot sizes in St. Clair, like I would spend hours redecorating a lot just to realize after that I can't really bring it to another world. One example would be those 25x40 row-house apartments in Bradford (I think?). After I discovered velocitygrass's addlotsize things got better but there still would be a lot of moving and shifting things around in new world to accommodate St. Clair lots.

Good thing it worked.

Yes, velocitygrass's addlotsize mod is very useful but I don't use it because you're still using the games own world editor tool along with it and that one is seriously broken. I don't want yet another borked neighborhood, especially since this one is now working nicey. I do think that there isn't enough very large lots in St. Claire but I'll manage.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 3:04 AM
I wonder, adding new lot on water via World Editor would bork up the game? I am thinking about doing a dive lot.

Scholar
#20 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 10:31 AM
iirc, you can make dive lots in St. Claire without problems.
Alchemist
#21 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 6:42 PM
I wonder, adding new lot on water via World Editor would bork up the game? I am thinking about doing a dive lot.

Well, I haven't added any dive lots to those previous neighborhoods but the brokenness of world editor does extend itself definitely to beach lots (partly in water). That could suggest that it might include dive lots, as well, but I have no desire to test that in St. Claire. If you do, then let us know how it turns out. I certainly would be curious to know.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 7:47 PM

You'll just have to do a fair amount of editing where the creator used the Pets rabbithole buildings. That seems to be the most noticeable consequence...for that expansion, anyway.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 22nd Mar 2014 at 4:42 AM Last edited by ashmo : 22nd Mar 2014 at 9:20 PM.
I've edited as I've played it.
I replaced all the professional bars in town, as they cause script errors that result in being teleported home. I plan to add LN stages and SHT stages to venues that need them, so every place can accommodate bands and performers. Put LN Prof. Bar and UNI coffee counter in Rainbow Connecion. Though making it a gay bar sounds good.
I've removed or replaced all decoration registers with real registers. Like WA food registers in Oak Park. PC veggie market carts at EverFresh in Fairview.
I removed all underground/basement rabbitholes because I hate that.
The bistro in the Fairview area I deleted caused me to have to delete the beautiful arcade she made to put the scrumptious nibbles cafe their and a UNI coffee counter in a little hut across from it behind the tables with the umbrellas.
I added seashell spawners to all the beaches and a port to two of them.
I put a tanning booth in the Fairview salon.
Properly named a couple subway stations and RH's.
Changed the lot type from academy to visitors allowed for the gypsy wagon.
Added salvageable furniture spawners to the Bradford junkyard.
I also read all the comments on the download page on awesims and fixed the things others said they had issues with. This is what others said if anyone wants to fix them too: *In Botanica (elixir shop) in Bradford the curtains are blocking the alchemy station, *MArbecks (karaoke bar) Downtown people say their sims have trouble getting in. I think it's bc it has a front door but the entrance to get in is on the side. I changed the side entrance to be the front of the lot and haven't had any issues.,*Kensington Fire Station Downtown sims can't get to bookshelf or behind.
That's most of what I did. I don't remember anymore at the moment as my game is no longer open. But can someone please tell me ,if there is one, where the Vault of Antiquity is?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 22nd Mar 2014 at 8:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
Well, I haven't added any dive lots to those previous neighborhoods but the brokenness of world editor does extend itself definitely to beach lots (partly in water). That could suggest that it might include dive lots, as well, but I have no desire to test that in St. Claire. If you do, then let us know how it turns out. I certainly would be curious to know.

Is there even a clear cut way to test that? Like you try to light a dynamite and wait to see what happens when the fuse runs out? Because I am guessing with this kind of thing, TS3 will ... start to boke, a tiny little bit everyday until weeks and months later we start to wonder how things can get so messed up. This is what I am scared of. Essentially I have to back track a month worth of work to test this one out, don't I?