Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 11:58 AM Last edited by Adlite : 25th Sep 2005 at 12:03 PM.
Default HELP: With creating Velux style windows on roof tops...
I hope ive posted in the right forum!
I have seen a beautiful house with windows on the roof, kinda like when you have a loft extension with velux windows. It can be seen here:

http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=89552

Rather than PM ijVelux, I thought I'd post a message asking for help. That way anybody else like me can receive the help they need.
Thanks for any help in advance!

Aka "Cee C"
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 12:19 PM
Hi, it's me I do appreciate you not PMing me for game help, because I find that a bit annoying when people do that instead of posting in a forum. It makes me feel under pressure. So thanks for that consideration.

Ok the way I did it was using the boolprop constrainFloorElevation false cheat.

For the one without the 3rd floor, you just need to build external walls two floors high. Using the ground elevation tool, raise up the two ends of the building evenly, in a mirror image of the roof slope you want. Ie where the roof ridge is going should be the lowest point at this stage.

When you've finished that, using the floor that looks most like roof tiles, apply that to the very top of the house which will cause the house to flatten out at the top but the ground should remain raised. Use glass floor tiles where you want the velux windows to be.

Finally flatten the ground using the terrain levelling tool. If you've got it right, the roof should now slope like you meant it to. You will have to experiment several times till you get the exact shape you want and the walls the right height. I expect there is a formula to how long to make the roof compared to how high you want the end wall or something, but I haven't worked it out yet so I still just have to experiment and redo it a few times too.

Do ask me more questions if you need to.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 12:42 PM
Thank you !!
Hopefully people who want to attempt the roof windows will come here

Thanks again Inge Jones :wave:

Aka "Cee C"
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I expect there is a formula to how long to make the roof compared to how high you want the end wall or something, but I haven't worked it out yet so I still just have to experiment and redo it a few times too.

For the original slope, three floor tiles will give the height of one wall.
:sci:
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 7:17 PM
Ah thanks!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies