Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 12:44 AM
Directory of Compressed Files - why have it?
Many custom content files seem to have a resource called 'Directory of Compressed Files'. I have often questioned the importance of such a resource, as nothing I have found in any package references it. I have also noticed that several packages have a Directory that does not completely detail every resource in the package, while others do. Also, it seems that there is no way to edit the Directory directly. If the resource is unneeded, then why would Maxis bother to add one to their files? Does the game reference these Directories for some unknown purpose?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 1:45 AM
Alchemist
#3 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 2:15 AM
If you don't want to edit it, just put a package containing some compressed files in downloads, run the game, and *voila* the game will insert one into your package for you while it is starting up.

Why some of the files are listed and some aren't? Only the compressed files are listed. Unless you specifically compress them, only modified files in a package are that were compressed originally are uncompressed. The others are copied as is.

Not having access to the game source code, I would guess that the directory merely enhances the load speed of packages. It certainly isn't necessary to be able to read them, so it must be an enhancement.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Shaken, Not Stirred
#4 Old 13th Dec 2006 at 12:23 AM
The directories are fast loads helpers. They tell the game what is compressed, before it has to go searching through the first 10 bytes of every file entry (signature section) to check, which is how it does it without them.

Since we figured out how they work back on Simcity4 in 2003, it's always been updated automatically with each minor change of the file on all properly working dat/package modification programs, which is why it generally speaking does not have an editor plugin. DotDat->Reader->Datgen->SimPE

Never ever edit them yourself or you'll mess up the game! =)
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 11th Aug 2009 at 4:22 PM
i need to know how to edit manually. i am making a custom mesh recolor and the game is not making it automatically. can you help me here?