Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2014 at 12:16 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 17th Jul 2014 at 12:51 AM.
Default SP's uninstallign right after installing
I bought a bundle of Sims 2 games off ebay for my daughter. I installed OFB a couple of days ago no worries and last night went to put on Teen Style Stuff. It all installed normally until the pop up window saying it was checking for updates at which point it said it couldn't and it uninstalled itself. We watched the percentage bar go down to zero. I thought maybe it was the disk and tried my own TSS disk with the same results.

When I look in program files there is a TSS folder, but nothing shows up in uninstall programs.

I also tried a different sp which did the same thing, installed and uninstalled. Is there any work around for this? There is 150GB free on C drive.

Specs I wrote down
Intel (R) Core(TM) 2 CPU 2.13GHz It's dual core.
2GB RAM
32 bit
NVIDEA GeForce 210

I've been told over on leefish that it's really low spec. is it worth upgrading? What can we upgrade on it?

Leefish sent me over to a site that scans and suggests upgrades. I have a picture (not good it's on it's side taken on an ipad from her computer sorry)

That is what came up as a suggested upgrade.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 17th Jul 2014 at 5:24 AM
Don't use sites that offer automated upgrade suggestions. They're terribly inaccurate. You should first post to the Sims 2 forums for more help on identifying why exactly the installation reverted. Then figure out how much the upgrades would cost.

Honestly though, the machine is a dinosaur and I would just buy a new cheap computer. If you do decide to get a new machine, post here and we can help you pick something reasonably priced.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jul 2014 at 10:30 PM
I posted to Leefish and Leefish herself linked me to that site. The conclusion on there was windows 7 is taking up all the power and it just can't handle adding an sp. Then I posted here to see if you guys think the same. I am trying to figure out if it's worth upgrading or if I should look for a newer second hand tower for her. yes the computer is a dinosaur I played Sims 1 on it and it's probably 8 years old at least. So you think a newer second hand tower would do? If anyone was going to get a brand new computer it would be me and I would pass her down the one I am currently using but that's a bit expensive right now. We could afford to add some RAM to hers, but I don't want to do that if that won't fix the problem.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 4:52 AM
"The conclusion on there was windows 7 is taking up all the power and it just can't handle adding an sp."

What? Where did you read that? Can you screenshot the message that says that?

I think you mean that your CPU is too weak. If that's the case then adding more RAM is going to help, but it won't help enough. Getting a second hand computer is an option, but it depends on what's inside the second hand computer that you buy.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 6:48 AM
I was on Leefish chat when all this was talked about so I don't have a record. No one there really knew why an sp would install get to the check for update message and uninstall itself, so the fact that it's an old slug on windows 7 (never used to have problems on XP) was mentioned.

She needs something that will handle all the Sims 2 EP's and SP's. She would like Sims 3, but I imagine that would need an even better computer. What would be a decent set up for RAM, CPU and graphics card? If I know that I can tell my tech friend and see what he has for sale. She has also been saying her monitor is going to sleep when she's using it. I think the whole thing is on it's last legs.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#6 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 11:10 AM
You should look for something that has ATLEAST the following:

First Gen i5 or better
8GB DDR3
GTX 560 or better

Once your guy offers you options, let us know and we'll help you choose.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 11:09 AM
Thanks that's helpful to know.

~Call me Jo~