Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2011 at 9:57 AM
Default Hair moves up and down with eyelid slider
I've recently converted my first hair by following HP's tutorial. When testing it, I found that the whole hairstyle moves up and down along with the "Eyelid height" slider. What causes this?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th May 2011 at 10:04 AM
The hair is assigned to whichever bone it is that the eyelid slider affects - I don't know which bone that would be, though.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th May 2011 at 10:11 AM
I thought I'd assigned everything to head_new, the way the tutorial recommends. :/ Perhaps I just need to do it all again and double-check it this time?
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 10th May 2011 at 11:29 AM
You made the hair with TSRW?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th May 2011 at 11:55 AM
No, with Milkshape and DABOOBS, the way HP's tutorial recommends. It's a base game conversion, male to female.

OK, I reimported the geoms and carefully assigned all the joints to HeadNew, but it's still doing the same thing. /o\ Am I doing this right? You select the whole hair using groups>select, then assign the joints to HeadNew? Or *looks at the rest of the Joints panel* do you assign the Vertex Weights as well? I haven't touched those.
Inventor
#6 Old 10th May 2011 at 2:02 PM
Did you check if the HeadNew joint was the active joint when you clicked assign? If another joint is active, like the one the eyelid is assigned to, it will be assigned to that one.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th May 2011 at 2:45 PM
Selected whole hair, selected HeadNew, clicked Assign. *Scratches head*
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 10th May 2011 at 7:26 PM
Did you load the original skcon(skeleton) when importing the meshes?
The skcon Wes h's GEOM importer by default uses seems to have a error on the eyelid joint, it might have caused this.
Assigne the hair to the hat joint and test

Also try clearring your caches
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th May 2011 at 10:06 PM
Um, I got the usual message about "something not found, using default skeleton".

Assign the hair to the hat joint, then try it out in-game? Thank you, I shall do so. I don't know how to clear my caches, though :/
Theorist
#10 Old 10th May 2011 at 11:20 PM
You're using the wrong comments most likely, copy the comments from the hair that HP uses in her tut. All of Peggy's hairs have this problem.

Hi I'm Paul!
Inventor
#11 Old 10th May 2011 at 11:46 PM
Use any comments for hairs you want, but make sure the first line is "FVFItems: 7", any other number may cause issues so 7 is safer.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th May 2011 at 11:34 AM
I copied the comments from the base game hair I was converting. I made sure the first line said FVFItems: 7.

I did the hair again, assigning everything to the HatGrip joint, but it's still doing the same thing.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 11th May 2011 at 11:42 AM
Clearing caches is done by going into Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3, and deleting all four *Cache.package files.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 11th May 2011 at 12:01 PM
Wait. So I need this skeleton (skcon) thing? *Searches the forum* I need to use something called Postal to extract it from the game? A-ha, I think I get the idea. Please could someone explain the process in more detail?

Thank you, Whiterider, I will do that.
Sockpuppet
#15 Old 11th May 2011 at 2:13 PM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 11th May 2011 at 8:38 PM
Thanks. I've installed Postal and copied the fullbuild file. The problem at the moment is, how do I tell which file is the hair mesh I want? I thought I could find out its number by using CTU, but there are a million numbers and I'm confused.
Sockpuppet
#17 Old 11th May 2011 at 9:49 PM
in CTU you can view the mesh its name
In Postal you choose show nMapnames
Then put all in alphabetical order by clicking its tab, then browse till you found it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 19th May 2011 at 10:31 AM
Thanks so much to everyone who offered advice, but the hair is still doing the same thing. I extracted the skcon and put it in the same file as the original GEOM, and when I open the geom I no longer get the warning saying "default skeleton used", but when I put the hair in the game it still moves up and down.