Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2011 at 9:39 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 23rd Aug 2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Issue Solved
Help with Hair in TSRW *SOLVED*
Is anybody able to give me help with creating hair in TSRWorkshop? The tutorial available on TSR is rubbish for beginners.

I've frankensteined a mesh from three in-game hairs with Milkshape. I haven't touched the textures or mapping yet as I haven't managed to get the mesh back into TSRW.
I choose Import for the LOD0 file and select my new mesh. TSRW asks me as I have imported a new mesh, would I like to update the bounding box? It doesn't matter if I select yes or no as the result each time is a bald Sim!
How can I get it to show up? If I can't see the hair in TSRW then how am I supposed to create textures for it?

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 9th Aug 2011 at 9:49 PM
You can't franken mesh with TSRW unless the original mesh has the same amount of groups as yours. The most I've ever seen is two. You can use multiple groups with CTU though.

I get the garage door thing as well, it's not your pc.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Aug 2011 at 10:24 PM
The mesh shows up in Milkshape with five groups: base; fit; fat; thin; special, which I assume are the morph states. The mesh I export back to TSRW has exactly the same number of groups with the exact same names after I regroup all the parts together. Or am I confusing groups with something else here?

ETA, I just looked at CTU and whilst I make use of it to recatagories clothing sometimes I don't know how to use it to make hair. Why is it so difficult to find easy to follow hair tutorials for the different methods?

Forum Resident
#4 Old 9th Aug 2011 at 11:34 PM
Most meshes have one group, when you export that with TSRW it gives you the base and the morphs in one file. Try exporting a hat hair and you'll see what I mean by groups, most hat hairs have two groups, the hat and the hair. With TSRW you cannot just go around regrouping meshes, it just doesn't work that way. Hair is just like any other CAS item, so maybe try looking at some of those tutorials.
Scholar
#5 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 1:13 AM
I know this may sound silly, but did you update the diffuse map after you imported your mesh? Otherwise, nothing will show up properly...
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 4:33 AM
Wat version of TSRW are you using and did you install the correct Milkshape plugins that came with it?
Does the original mesh showup in TSRW when you import/export it from Milkshape(test this 1st)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 7:45 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 10th Aug 2011 at 10:42 PM.
I'm using the most recent version of TSRW , 2.0.19 and Milkshape 1.8.5.
When I export a hair it uses the .wso extension and I use the 'TSRW object' option to import and export from Milkshape.
Exporting and then immediately reimporting a mesh without editing in Milkshape still shows correctly in TSRW. I haven't tried it with importing the same mesh after importing and exporting with Milkshape.
Jasumi, I'm gonna have to say no as I didn't know I had to. How do I do that then? I am a noob with hair.

ETA, I can confirm that exporting a mesh from TSRW, then importing to Milkshape and making NO changes (not even touching the mesh) then exporting from Milkshape and Importing back into TSRW results in a bald Sim as with my custom mesh.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 5:56 PM
Bumping cos of new info.
I think I may have fixed the issue I was having.
I just replaced the TSRW plugins and the exported hair mesh now shows up when reimported into TSRW! Yay!
So it may just have been stupidity on my part all along. But, had I not asked I wouldn't have even thought to check them.
Thanks.

Sockpuppet
#9 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 7:36 PM
That wat i said
Happy modding
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 7:52 PM
Yes, thanks BloomBase. Glad you mentioned it.

Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 9:55 PM
I have no idea, I was going to try and make hair but I never got around to it. Hope you figure it out soon.