Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th May 2014 at 8:06 PM
Default Gated Driveways
If I install a 2 tile gate across a driveway will cars be able to enter and exit or do they make special gates for driveways? I've always fenced around driveway to front of garage to keep stray people out of my pools but my newest house has long drive with garage at back.
Maybe a 3 tile gate or 2 tiles with pivot at one side, does the game support anything like that or will a car fit a 2 tile gate?
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 29th May 2014 at 8:17 PM
Cars don't drive onto lots anyway so it won't make a difference. The car will simply appear on its parking spot.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
#3 Old 30th May 2014 at 4:34 AM
I wonder if this prevents burglar from stealing the car. They're not like repo-men or social worker who can teleport away stuff, right? Then again, it's not like burglar has ever come to my house...

Just call me Nikel
Instructor
#4 Old 30th May 2014 at 7:41 AM
You can place burglar alarm out side of the house to prevent him from stealing stuff.
Alchemist
#5 Old 30th May 2014 at 9:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by miarell
You can place burglar alarm out side of the house to prevent him from stealing stuff.

Yeah, but I'm just wondering what they will steal if my house has no doors to the outside.

Just call me Nikel
Theorist
#6 Old 30th May 2014 at 12:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Cars don't drive onto lots anyway so it won't make a difference. The car will simply appear on its parking spot.

Yup this was possible even in the early days of TS2, I think 2005 it was, and here we are like 10 years later waiting for them to put it in the sequel. Not good enough. It's not exactly hard. This is what happens when you cut corners too much, you spend the next few years disguising the evident shortcomings.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Theorist
#7 Old 30th May 2014 at 5:44 PM
Yep, gates, fences, you can block the driveway, no problem. Cars magically appear on the parking spots so block it or not, it doesn't matter. You can put parking spots in fully enclosed attics, basements, or use "moveobjects on" to put parking spots in swimming pools, pretty much anywhere you want.

Resident wet blanket.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th May 2014 at 6:38 PM
My main concern was that the cars looked too big for the gates and was wondering if the lot was enclosed would it interfere with car funtions. I was aware that the cars
would just pop in and out, I just hate the fact that there is always some stray NPC swimming in my pool and wanted to enclose the lot. Anyway I found some 3 tile gates
at the thesimsresource.
link http://www.thesimsresource.com/arti...tes/id/1072567/
They show up under the decorations tab - "all" and they don't need a fence for placement they fit between fences. Now the yard looks secure and the gates look correct.
Thanks People ................ one other small question...
Do EPs need to be uninstalled in order I'm really tired of Supernatural creatures popping up and am sorry I installed that EP or do I need to do a complete uninstall of
everything after that EP or a clean install with only what I want?
Field Researcher
#9 Old 30th May 2014 at 7:58 PM
You can always turn off the supernaturals you don't like by going under game options.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th May 2014 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nylaba
You can always turn off the supernaturals you don't like by going under game options.

Already done but no option for zombies, found info @ Nraas going to try next or no zombie script if it still works with 1.67
One Minute Ninja'd
#11 Old 31st May 2014 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
Yeah, but I'm just wondering what they will steal if my house has no doors to the outside.

Regarding burglars and gates, if your lot is completely fenced in, and you have the electric gate (from LN, I believe it was) which should insure your privacy, the burglar simply spontaneously spawns inside the walled compound, sneaks up to the front door, and is still too stupid to realize the burglar alarm is going to go off. So a high walled, gated compound is no match for the wily burglar, until they stumble on the same fucking alarm in every house. Not a lot of AI effort spent on the burglar role sims. Which is why I tuned the damned burglars out of my game. Just plain annoying.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Jun 2014 at 5:24 PM
Kind of funny how postings get side tracked so easily. My original post was about "real life" looking driveways with gates being wide enough and stray NPCs swimming in my pools. Where did all the burglars come from? Anyway still having issues with Zombies after trying a few different mods so going back to clean install without Supernatural and few other expansion packs I don't use.
Scholar
#13 Old 3rd Jun 2014 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Yup this was possible even in the early days of TS2, I think 2005 it was, and here we are like 10 years later waiting for them to put it in the sequel. Not good enough. It's not exactly hard. This is what happens when you cut corners too much, you spend the next few years disguising the evident shortcomings.

But the flip side of this was that you couldn't place the driveway on the right side of the house (or I couldn't the last time I tried), it had to be the left side, because you had to have room for the animations to play properly.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 2:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by martintallon
Kind of funny how postings get side tracked so easily. My original post was about "real life" looking driveways with gates being wide enough and stray NPCs swimming in my pools. Where did all the burglars come from? Anyway still having issues with Zombies after trying a few different mods so going back to clean install without Supernatural and few other expansion packs I don't use.

- How big/small of a gateway does not interfere with whether a car can park inside or not. Like someone mentioned, you can put a parking spot in the attic and your car will go there. For me, if your car can fit into your pocket along side with your smart phone, it can go anywhere.

- Real life looking driveway is cool.

- Just freeze the Moon phases in game menu. If there is no Full Moon, zombie issue will never happen.

- And for some who asked about burglars, I believe if you "lock" certain doors, even burglars and service sims cannot go in. I believe repoman and social worker cannot go in either, but then I haven't tested that.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Theorist
#15 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 3:06 AM
If you have Late Night, the gate in that EP is large enough to look believable for cars to get through.

I agree wholeheartedly on the Supernaturals and uncheck them from all but a few of my saved games. I used to use a mod to get rid of Zombies, but now I just set the moon to one static phase and they never appear in any of my games. So if you're not attached to any of the full moon effects (and from what you've posted I'm guessing you are not), then setting the moon phase also works.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
dodgy builder
#16 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 8:48 AM
This american thing of "I have to have a driveway and a car", I'm european and I find that tram at night absolutly adorable.
Theorist
#17 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
This american thing of "I have to have a driveway and a car", I'm european and I find that tram at night absolutly adorable.

At one time, I had 5-cars. Now I'm down to 4.
I love cars like fat kids love cake. Everyone is into different stuff.

Resident wet blanket.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 12:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom

Can't blame American. I lived in California for 10+ years. The difference between US and most countries in the world is that since Henry Ford, car makers lobbied to boycott public transportation so people can buy more cars. It effectively made US the only "automobile" country in the world. So much that the entire nation, save a few metropolitan centers, were developed in the "suburban" type housing development. Public transportation is almost unsustainable. Thus, buses come every 30 minutes (not 5 or 10 minutes). You have to spend 30 minutes to 2 hours to go from point A to point B whereas a car would cut that commute time to around 15 minutes.

Needless to say, without a car here in US (saves a few metropolitan centers) you are essentially crippled. In other countries, the rich own cars. In US, the poor MUST have cars. When I first came as a student, it took me 1.5 hours, at 6am, to go to school, then 1 hour to take a bus at 12pm to go to my part time job, and 1 hour back from work at 5:45pm for evening class, and 2 hours home at 9pm. 5.5 hours for commute per day. It's not that I lived far from school or work, it just happened that there was no single bus route to take me straight, so I had to spend a lot of time waiting at the bus stop.

And essentially I was fired off my job because I was late one too many times: bus skipped, and I had to wait another 30 min. Then I immediately bought a car, and with the extra time of the day, I worked double hours while attending the same hours at school. See how important a car is to American?

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.