Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Nov 2012 at 9:41 PM
Default Does Cracked.com Suck You In?
Whenever I go to Cracked.com, I can't just read one article - there's so many links to other similar or just plain interesting ones that I will spend hours going through all of them. Some of them are quite helpful too, like one about how NOT to apologise, and what the person you're apologising to means when he or she looks angry and stays silent - it means the apology is accepted and the person just needs some time to think, and you shouldn't keep repeating the apology.

Does Cracked.com suck you in, and has it ever given you some much-needed insight?

Also, I wasn't sure whether to put this thread in off-topic or general media, since Cracked is a form of media - one that started out in the 1950s.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 6th Nov 2012 at 9:49 PM
Yesss. XD
I always go on there to check the latest articles but I end up going through ones I've read a dozen times until it's 4am and I'm almost passed out from exhaustion. I love Cracked.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 7th Nov 2012 at 3:35 AM
I like to re-read articles on there too - the Super Dictionary is probably my all time favorite. 6 Most WTF Special Edition Comics
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#4 Old 7th Nov 2012 at 3:43 AM
I always get sucked in. same thing with The Oatmeal.
Inventor
#5 Old 7th Nov 2012 at 4:08 AM
Oh lord yes; I use Firefox, which lets you get the "Pocket" (aka "Read it Later") add-on (which is like a bookmark, except you can still use it even when not connected to the net, and can use it on any mobile device), and I have so far managed to amass ninety-three pages worth of nothing but Cracked articles --sure now to be a dozen more added just tonight because it's been linked to.

Damn it Rose, why did you have to do that to us?! XD We all just admitted that we have a problem too!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th Nov 2012 at 9:26 AM
I love that site.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Nov 2012 at 10:35 AM
I love how they would write about seemingly-new things that were actually invented a lot earlier - like video games. I mean, back in the 40's or 50's, they used an oscilloscope and some other equipment to make a game far more awesome than Pong - it had gravity settings and played more like real tennis. And before Asteroids, there was a game that was a lot like it but far more awesome - it had stuff like finite fuel and missile supplies, and it was multiplayer, with a later version allowing up to four people to play at once! And there was even a very Sims-like game called "Little Computer People".

I've got some ideas for writing an article for Cracked, but I don't know if they'd go for it. It would have something to do with how books about visiting the dentist are way off(or at least the ones my parents read to me). Like for example... toothache = quick visit to the dentist and simple filling. Those old 'going to the dentist' books were hilarious.
Scholar
#8 Old 7th Nov 2012 at 11:27 AM
my signature is from a cracked article.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 7:57 AM
Test Subject
#10 Old 13th Nov 2012 at 2:35 PM
Cracked is just like TV Tropes, you can't just stay on there for a few minutes and not get sucked in.