Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 4:40 PM
Default Is there a creator tool for Mac?
Are OS X users able to create things for the Sims 3, or do you have to be on a PC?
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 4:44 PM
It depends on what you are trying to make. Have you read the "Solutions for OS X users" sticky in this forum?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 5:07 PM
Yup.... I don't really understand all the technical terms! I'd like to be able to create objects (mainly buy mode) is there a tool for this?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 8:50 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 23rd Feb 2010 at 11:01 AM.
You need more than one tool for making objects. What are you asking about – cloning? Editing the object? Extracting resources? Converting meshes? Editing meshes? Editing textures? UV mapping? Editing text files?

If you don't know what any of this means, I think you should first familiarise youself with the general process involved, and then look for solutions on how to go about a specific part of it. Please look at the create forums > Meshing for that.

I'm going to move this to Meshing unless you have a specific question on how to get one particular tool to run under OS X (which would kinda sorta qualify as a Help question – other than that, Help is for broken games and not for creation).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 6:45 PM
Creating objects from scratch.

K move it to Meshing and maybe then someone can actually help.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Feb 2010 at 7:42 PM
Moving to Meshing .. but I don't think people will be able to give you a lot of help unless you're a little more specific on what you actually need help with.

Have you looked at any meshing/object creation tutorials? Did you understand them? What sort of tools do you already have, what do you need, what are you trying to do, where are you getting stuck? Do you have any sort of budget for this – is buying Windows an option, or do you need to rely entirely on wine/mono/crossplatform or native tools? Which of the "technical terms" in the sticky did you not understand? What hardware and which version of OS X do you have?

Alchemist
#7 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 12:46 AM
BFF, I think you're asking a question that probably a lot of people would like to know more about so I hope you'll stick with it. For everyone else reading the thread the sticky PB mentioned (and wrote) is here:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...t=366580&page=1

For anyone interested in this issue I would recommend reading that sticky and then reading the thread that goes with the sticky.

After having done so myself BFF, I would say the short answer to your initial question is yes. OS X users are able to create things for the Sims 3 but it's gonna take a little bit of work.

If I were in that situation I'd read the sticky and focus quite a bit on the pros and cons that PB mentions for each method rather than trying to grasp the technicalities of every single means of accomplishing the goal. I'd pick a solution whose pro/con profile fit my needs/skills/financial situation the best and then I'd go about learning as much as I could about that solution.

Then when (inevitably) I ran into trouble getting that solution implemented I'd post back here with specific questions about the trouble I was having. I've said it before and I'll say it again, specific questions are the ones that are gonna get you answers you need. Blanket questions without a possible specific answer will get you nowhere most of the time.

Just outta curiosity PB, in your list for Cross Platform Solutions/Mono/TS3 you have S3PE listed. Are S3OC and S3ObjTool on this list also?
Wiki Wizard
#8 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 5:31 PM
I am running mac at the moment and i am still able to mesh, however after many attempts at trying to mesh on mac OS X itself i had to give up I instead got something called VMWare Fusion for mac, which is a software that lets you run PC programs on your mac either in full screen, single window, or in unity with mac. However you need to get a copy of windows as well in order to actually run the windows programs. I opted to get windows XP for mine, it does not cost much, and it runs quicker because it is less demanding, it also takes up less space on my hard drive, however it works well with mac and i am able to easily mesh now. So it may cost a little bit of money but i feel if you are serious about meshing then it is definitely work it!

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#9 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 7:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deluxe Designs
after many attempts at trying to mesh on mac OS X itself i had to give up

Do you mean meshing specifically, or more generally making TS3 objects? Asking since the actual meshing is the easiest part for me (I use blender which is available for a ton of OSes, OS X too), but this obviously depends on what editor you use – what are, or were, you trying to run? Milkshape seems to run perfectly fine under wine as well (at least I think it was wine, I tested it once but right now I don't recall exactly), but it has an issue with popups which prevents you from saving which renders the whole experience kinda useless .. but to me that looks like a solvable issue, so anyone interested in running MS under OS X might want to try bugging the developers about it.

Field Researcher
#10 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 7:26 PM
http://www.winehq.org/ is what Plasticbox refered to.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ is also worth having a look at, but is not free.

Both these work without needing an actual Windows OS.

That said, it might be a good idea to get something like Blender which works on OS X and do the various tutorials on the internet which will teach you also all the tech terms we refer to.