Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 7:43 PM
Default Buying a new desktop
I have been looking at buying a new desktop, as my laptop is almost fried from straining it with TS3. I want it to be able to handle TS3 (+ EPs and CC) properly, and preferably run TS2 as well, so will try my hardest to find Win7 for it... The BF loves his racing games, which I'm guessing ask quite some processor speed and graphics too. I'm looking at having it custom-built, with the following specs:
Case: Cooler Master CM Force 500
Powersupply: Cooler Master B600
Motherboard: Asus H87M-PLUS,s1150
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770,s1150
RAM: Corsair ValueSelect 1333-16GB (2x8GB)
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming,2GB

As for the harddrive, would it be better to choose a larger HDD or an SSHD? We have a 1TB SSHD option, or 2TB HDD option.
Budget is around 1000 euros, but we don't mind spending a bit more if it gives a better performance From looking at the other threads, my guess is that it will handle TS3 and TS2 and the odd racing game, but I know next to nothing about computers, so wanted to check here too Is this a decent computer? Too expensive for what it has to offer? Or good value for money? I'm not in the US, but in the Netherlands, so our webshop options are a bit more limited, and frankly, I would prefer a physical shop that I can carry the desktop to if something is wrong with it...
Thanks for the help!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 1:27 AM
What physical shops are available to you? If you find some can you ask them for a PDF of their complete parts price list?

How much was the PC you mentioned above with the 4770?

What are the names of the games your bf would like to play on it? Do you already own a monitor? If not, does the 1000 € budget include the price of the monitor?
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 7:52 AM Last edited by Klaartje : 19th Apr 2014 at 8:54 AM.
Whoops, looks like I've forgotten to add some important information in my enthusiasm, sorry!
Physical shop I would prefer is MyCom, I'm not sure if there are any others that will do a custom-build. Site is only available in Dutch, sorry But hopefully Google Translate can give you something to work with.
This PC would cost around 1000-1100, which does not include the price of the monitor yet. Budget isn't very tight though, so if we end up spending 1300, that's ok too. As long as we actually need all those high-end components.
The BF would like to play Formula 1 2013 - or maybe even wait for the 2014-version. Gamesplanet lists this CPU as required: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4Ghz, but a big Dutch retailer/webshop lists that as minimum requirement, and i7 as recommended. Another game he wants to play is Microsoft Flightsimulator X, requirements here.
Thanks for your help!
Scholar
#4 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 4:53 PM
Okay here's what I've got from that site. I don't know any netherlands relailers so I can't offer any alternative, but I would ask around and see if you can find a second retailer to compare prices. The SSD is OPTIONAL, and will likely halve your load times. It doesn't give you better looking graphics, are make the game play more fluidly, it just makes everything load faster, both in Windows and in games. I only added it because even with it you're still within your 1300 euro budget.

These are the item you should choose. I don't read dutch so I wasn't able to find out where exactly they say they will assemble for you, or how to get them to do it. However once you find out, or if you need to call them, these are the parts you should ask for. They will probably try to upsell you something, but really you don't need anything more powerful than what I've listed. Come back and ask us if you're thinking about changing anything anyway.

Processor: Intel Core i5 4440 €157,99
Motherboard:Asus H87M-E €79,99
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz (2x4GB) €70,99
GPU: Asus GTX 760 DCII OC €212,99
PSU: Corsair CX 500W €47,99
Case: Corsair Carbide 300r with window €71,99
*Optional* SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB €125,99
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 3.5inch €53,99
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium "Gold" (64bit SP1) €89,99 *This one you need to call them to confirm that it is 64bit windows 7*

Total including the optional SSD: €911.91
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 8:22 AM
I seem to have missed this post during all the Easter-madness! Thanks for the help! We have in fact ordered the desktop, but it's nice to know that what we ordered comes close to what you suggested The BF was putting his foot down about the i7 processor, "just in case". Couldn't make him change his mind!
This is the one we ordered in the end:

Processor: Intel i7-4770
Motherboard: Asus H87M-Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x8GB (The shop suggested the 1600 instead of 1333 MHz, glad to see that you did too )
GPU: MSI GTX 760 2GB
PSU: Corsair CX 600W
Case: Cooler Master n500
SSHD: Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (we checked that it's 64bit and that it is the HP Gold so it handles 32 GB RAM).

Looks like we may have gotten a little more than we need, total cost came down to €1060.91, including €70 for assembly, we will do the installing of the OS and drivers ourselves. Thanks again for your help!
Test Subject
#6 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 8:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Klaartje
I seem to have missed this post during all the Easter-madness! Thanks for the help! We have in fact ordered the desktop, but it's nice to know that what we ordered comes close to what you suggested The BF was putting his foot down about the i7 processor, "just in case". Couldn't make him change his mind!
This is the one we ordered in the end:

Processor: Intel i7-4770
Motherboard: Asus H87M-Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x8GB (The shop suggested the 1600 instead of 1333 MHz, glad to see that you did too )
GPU: MSI GTX 760 2GB
PSU: Corsair CX 600W
Case: Cooler Master n500
SSHD: Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (we checked that it's 64bit and that it is the HP Gold so it handles 32 GB RAM).

Looks like we may have gotten a little more than we need, total cost came down to €1060.91, including €70 for assembly, we will do the installing of the OS and drivers ourselves. Thanks again for your help!

Hi I have this list for someone else but it might help you too it's in the 1,600 range and is a great pc with top of the line parts and with a small form factor which is great on space and will just run through the sims and cc and run it with maxed out settings without any trouble. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cutie9676/saved/4vDM
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 8:48 AM
Thanks, but like I said in my last post, we already ordered our desktop