Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 8:31 PM Last edited by Anna-Kaisa : 5th Jun 2011 at 3:20 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Seasons
*SOLVED!* "Misc." patterns don't show up in CAST after installing Generations
Just as the title says... after installing Generations, all patterns categorized as "Misc." no longer show up in CAST! All other categories work fine, though, and I'm able to recolor clothes/objects that have several channels. The problem is that when I try to recolor an object with only one channel, CAST won't let me switch to another category (from "Misc.") AND I can't leave CAST because it's still "loading" the patterns.

I have cleared the cache files (several times!), my mods are up to date and the CC is working fine. i just can't figure out what still could be wrong! Please, HELP!!!
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 5:28 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Sims 3 - Game Problems
    For generic game related issues, please see this FAQ:Try each of the steps listed to either solve the problem or rule out Custom Content as the cause.

Uh, if CAST is misbehaving, then, "the CC is working fine" is obviously not true.

This is a classic signal that a pattern is corrupt or an item (in Sims3Pack format as only this format prePack associated files) has a corrupted or bad pattern attached to it.

You need to confirm this on a new game with no CC whatsoever, ie do step#3 to exclude Sims3Pack as the cause, as shown in the linked FAQ.
Step#2 may confirm a corrupted .package CC.

An alternative is that the preset.package file is corrupted. This is located in the Sims 3 Documents folder. Move it to Desktop, don't outright delete it, yet. This contains all your saved CAST-able patterns.
Or even the thumbnails...have you also refreshed this at the time you cleared caches?

If it still happen in a vanilla, new game, then congratulations, you have found yet another new bug in Generations/Patch 1.22.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 3:08 PM
OK, I did what you told, and it seems that the problem was caused by a broken/corrupted sims3pack file. Is there any way to find this file without having to delete ALL sims3packs I've installed? (Some of them came with sims I had downloaded from the Exchange when I got Ambitions, and they caused no trouble after installing Late Night)

Also, I had installed a lot (with patterns attached to it) just before I started playing Generations, but I deleted it (and the patterns) as soon as I noticed this issue. Could the download have damaged my game permanently? Here's the lot: http://www.digitalperversion.net/ga...p?topic=15018.0
I have also installed the Generations registration rewards and another object from the store, but so far I haven't noticed anyone complaining about them.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 4:22 PM
You managed to identify the Sims3Pack with the corrupted pattern?
If not, you can use Delphy's Dashboard and point it to scan the DCBackup folder.
Once it identifies a broken file, you can use Postal or S3PE or Custard to load the file and view the thumbnail image of it so you can search for the same thumbnail in Launcher. There are some tutorials floating around if you need more guided help - Google "crinrict blog how to find corrupt Sims3Pack CC".

What do you mean you deleted it? From where? You didn't uninstall it from the Installed Content tab in Launcher?

Is the item the Lot you mentioned, or do you suspect that may have contributed to the issue of already corrupted patterns?
Is anybody else reporting an issue with this Lot? Have you informed the Lot creator of your suspicions?
If you have questions regarding a CC item, the best thing is to ask the creator themselves.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 5:05 PM
I tried to use Dashboard, but it doesn't find the DCBackup folder. That wouldn't have helped much, though, because I always empty that folder after installing sims3packs. (I've heard that doing so reduces lagging)

I uninstalled the lot and patterns via the Launcher, deleted them from "Downloads" section in the Launcher, deleted the cache files and emptied the DCBackup folder. No one has reported about the lot having issues (otherwise I wouldn't have downloaded it). I was more concerned about broken pattern files.

I will now try to use Custard to find the corrupted file. I'll post again later to tell if that helps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 3:19 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!
After uninstalling most of my sims3packs I decided to refresh the user files (just to be sure nothing was wrong with them)and reinstall the CC, and that worked! Guess I should have done that earlier... but I thought the problem was just caused by a bad sims3pack, because removing the CC did help and the problem returned after I put the dbc files back Thanks for the help! Now I know what to do if something similar happens again
In the Arena
retired moderator
#7 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 4:26 PM
Thanks for posting back with soln that worked for you, no many do that and we're left with a "My game works" and no other info...

It's not the most ideal solution, but when EA updates EADM every other week, what can you do...I have a theory, every time they make major changes to EADM and Sims3Pack in some manner, our already installed .dbc content suffer.

I can now link this thread for others with similar issue. Thanks, and Happy Simming!
Locked thread | Locked by: ellacharm3d Reason: resolved-corrupted .dbc (maybe?)