Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2016 at 10:18 PM
Default Who here streams/records their games?
I'm trying to! I have a few videos up on my Youtube but I may have to look into a different program. If you do, what do you use? And who are your favorite sims to broadcast?
Advertisement
Instructor
#3 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 1:10 AM
I capture some of my footage with fraps and then edit it with Sony Vegas and post it on Youtube in a series I call "Let's torture some Sims".

I don't think anyone watches it but I have fun making the videos.

My favorite Sims to torture are the Bachelor family, I have no idea why.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 5:36 AM
Ooh, have any links? I didn't link mine because I didn't want to be busted for advertising but if someone asks then I would imagine it would be ok.

I love to torment the Pokémon bad guys. I have the major team bosses in a house together, as well as a Galactic house. I've also got a house of some of the Lanseal students from Valkyria Chronicles 2 but let's be honest, nobody played that game.

Oh and I've been using xSplit Gamecaster but it's been screwing up lately.
Instructor
#5 Old 28th Jan 2016 at 10:37 AM
No problem, here is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk01W4XNil8

I don't make any money so I don't think it can be counted as an ad

My mike was busted for about two week so some of them don't have narration and sometimes I forget to turn off whatever I was listening to on my computer in the background, but for what it is worth here they are.

I normally upload one or two entries in each series I do including this one every Wednesday because that is the day I have a chance to get into the library. I didn't get to yesterday because of the snow but because of that next week I will have four or five new episodes to upload.

Enjoy!

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Scholar
#6 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 1:06 PM
I don't stream/record the sims specifically, but I do record other games. My go-to program is Open Broadcaster Software -- it's completely free, no restrictions, and strikes a nice balance between video quality and size in my opinion (it's about 1GB per 1hr of video at 1920x1080 resolution).

It's intended as a streaming program but it's fairly easy to tweak to record to disk instead.
Instructor
#7 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Katya Stevens
I don't stream/record the sims specifically, but I do record other games. My go-to program is Open Broadcaster Software -- it's completely free, no restrictions, and strikes a nice balance between video quality and size in my opinion (it's about 1GB per 1hr of video at 1920x1080 resolution).

It's intended as a streaming program but it's fairly easy to tweak to record to disk instead.

Yeah I use that for older games that were made for windows 2000 and older and it works great. I find Fraps easier to use for newer games, but that may just be me because I heard of Fraps first so I have it set up just the way I like it.

My PC specs.
Instructor
#9 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 7:48 PM
I had to download a new driver for it but now it is recording my modern games just fine so thanks a bunch. I am noticing a bit of a drop in picture quality compared to the fraps but the gain the smaller file size is worth it if you ask me. The only thing I will not be using it on is my Let's Plays of the Mass Effect series since I am treating those more like a showcase of that game for friends and family who wanted to know why I am so in to that series but don't play video games, i really want the best picture and sound for that, but for the Sims 3 this is great.

Thanks a lot for getting me to take a second look at it.

My PC specs.
Instructor
#11 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 9:07 PM
Well I spoke too soon. I don't know if it is my video card or what but for some reason OBC seems to work fine for all of my modern games except The Sims 3, there it is capturing the sound but the screen is black. I have tried all the different settings I can think of but it doesn't seem to work with any of them, and so far it only seems to be The Sims 3. if you don't mind my asking, what settings are you using?

As for Fraps, i have to convert the footage before putting it up on Youtube any way, so I just stop every couple of hours and put a MP4 video together with Sony Vegas and then delete the raw files, so that isn't a big deal to me, but it is nice using OBC when I can since it will record directly in MP4 format.

My PC specs.
Instructor
#13 Old 29th Jan 2016 at 11:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I used the setting recommended in the link above?

But I'm not sure if this is related. I tried recording TS2 in my Intel HD instead of the Nvidia and it gave me the same thing as you described. I hear the sound, but no video. From what I read, it said that the video setting should always be set on the 1st option. Then you have to "run the app" with the video driver you want to record.

So what I did was run Open Broadcaster on Intel HD when I want to record games on Intel HD and run it on Nvidia when I want to record games on Nvidia. (right click on the icon --> run with graphics processor --> choose)

Hope that helps.

Thanks a bunch. That sounds like it will help as I didn't know any of that, i can't stream video at my house so I didn't watch the video you posted but it sounds helpful so i will check it out on Wednesday when I get into the library, thanks again for the help.

My PC specs.
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 30th Jan 2016 at 2:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyFbeo88PZI Here's one of mine, on xSplit Gamecaster. I know it's all fuzzy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDpkq3TJXw Here's one that's sharper! But this one glitched out like woah.

I want to continue but it's been glitching in general and not recording video...ah well.