Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 12:32 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night
Default Sims 3 keeps crashing when I try to launch it!!!!!!
Hi! I just recently got The Sims 3 (and Late Night & High-End Loft Stuff)! When I go on the launcher, it's all OK, but when I try to play it.. It doesn't go to the loading screen, I'm stuck on a black screen. I saw the cursor for a SECOND on the black screen (Sims cursor), but then it "crashes" to desktop: It's still responding, yet it's not loading! When I try to click on the Sims icon on my desktop, it shows a black screen, but same thing happens: it goes back to desktop. Can you help me? Thanks
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 3:21 PM
When has this started and what CC/mods have you installed recently?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
please post your deviceconfig here in spoilers bracket

eg.

it is a file located in your user folder --> documents\electronic arts\the sims 3\

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 3:09 PM
hi,

Even though the game recognizes your vid card, it doesn't recognize your texture memory. There is a workaround for this, I can walk you through editing your graphicsrules.sgr, but I will need your dxdiag file. Please post the dxdiag in spoilers here.

(run "dxdiag" then click "save information," this will create a txt file. Please copy the content of the text file here in spoiler tags.)

PS - Is your OS really a 64-bit Win98?

--- EDIT
Before trying the workaround, do this first:

1) Make sure your graphics card driver is updated.
2) Make sure your TS3 game is updated

--- EDIT

Btw, I should let you know that your vid card is considered low-end. In the MTS TS3 graphics requirement list , it is listed as unsupported. However, it also listed Intel GMA 915m as unsupported and I ran TS3 on that for 4-5 years. It was slow and there were some graphical glitches with Pets expansion, but it worked.

Anyhow, no guarantee it will work, but it might with the work around. From what I read the Radeon HD 4300/4500 can be either 512mb to 1gb texture memory, so it is at least better than a built-in intel HD chipset.

Alright. Btw, no, I'm running Windows 7, 64bit.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 8:35 PM
Alright, I tried it out.

I got some results..

So it started up. It's a black screen. The normal Windows loading cursor shows.
And back to desktop. Boom.
I try to click on the icon. Same problem as before. However, on the third or something try, the Sims loading icon shows, then back to desktop.

Here is my deviceconfig now..

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 12:17 AM
There's no SavedSims folder?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 1:57 PM
? Are you sure? This is in your users folder (usually My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\)

Ok, there is one way to make sure nothing in your user folder is causing trouble.

Move your user folder to your desktop (thus removing it). Then run the game, it will recreate a new Sims 3 users folder.

This is the one in your "Documents\Electronic Arts\...."

I copied it to the desktop. It booted up, I saw the intros, but when I alt tabbed and tried to come back, it didn't let me in. I could hear the loading music though.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 1:14 AM Last edited by Belzader : 7th Feb 2015 at 1:25 AM.
Alt-Tab out when game is loading is a very very bad idea...
If you don't want game to run in fullscreen, right from the start (or doing other things while game loads.).
In Options.ini look for this line fullscreen = 1 and change the 1 to 0 and game will run in window mode.

Now ofc that file won't excist if one rename/delete the sims3 folder in (My) Documents, so the first time game is run after that, one just have to let it finish load.

I want my Space Pony title back.. why was it there such a short time..