Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 27th Oct 2007 at 4:33 AM
Oh man I wish the next tutorial will come soon! but, Seeing as I haven't even started on #1 yet I shouldn't be so impatient. Besides, out of general discovery I think these are good enough to wait
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 3:32 AM
Your the BEST!!!!

THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
Test Subject
#53 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 5:17 PM
Another thank you-post!
Thanks for this tutorial! I'm not there yet, but I will keep on practising
Test Subject
#54 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 9:05 AM
Great tutorial!, I finished the one you showed in the tute and then went on to do my very own, I now have the dress in the color and shape i have been trying to achieve for soo long now, Thank you!
Test Subject
#55 Old 4th Jan 2008 at 6:23 PM
Default now what
it drove me crazy that strip of black on the dress. i had no idea what i had done wrong until i read thru the entire tute here. so i fixed it...or tried to - but i still have a crack of black in the back of the dress sleeve that i can't get rid of. it irks me. i have slid the pattern all the way over and still have it. what else can i try to fix this?
that aside, i love love love these tutes. i'm so happy to finally be able to use body shop. thanx so much for taking the time to write them.

Be proud for you are made of stars;
Be humble for you are made of earth.
Syberian proverb
Field Researcher
#56 Old 4th Jan 2008 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ariesmoon
i have slid the pattern all the way over and still have it. what else can i try to fix this?

There are a few things you can try. The easiest thing to do for this project would be to open up the texture file, create a new layer and fill the entire layer with the pattern and then use the rectangular select tool to just cut away fabric over the boots. For something where you have more shading and stuff to preserve, I find it useful to open the alpha as a separate layer over the texture and use it as a guide while working.

"I'm afraid I'm not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service".
-Monty Python's Flying Circus
Test Subject
#57 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 6:14 AM Last edited by eiphos1212 : 15th Jan 2008 at 6:32 AM. Reason: Found more details
problem
I'm new to all this stuff but I've looked through all the other post's for this and the two previos tutorials and I cant seem to find anyone else with this problem. Everytime I got to save something it tells me that I can't save it because the game won't accept multipul layers or something like that... it wasn't working from the options that I was given (merge layers & flatten image) so i told it to merge down on the layers menu which worked fine for the previos two tutorials although I couldn't change the colours of the boots in the second one. but now that the tute says that we want to keep the layers and what I've been doing is making them all into one layer. And it doesnt work when I tell it to ignor either. What can I do to keep my layers but still save it properley so that it still works in the game?

It says exactly "Your Image should be exported before being saved as a BMP for the following reasons:
BMP plug-in can't handel layers.
[option one] flatten image
[option two] merge visible layers

Furthermore, Does this have anything to do with my computer spefically? If it does could someone please tell me how i can get a better BMP plugin. Cause I think tha tmight be the problem.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#58 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 7:34 AM
eiphos1212 - what you should do is save your project (so as to keep all the layers) before exporting to bmp. I know gimp is awkward with that. I don't use gimp, but basically for the sake of being able to go back and rework things, you'll want to keep your layer separated version to work on if you need to make changes.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Field Researcher
#59 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 11:25 AM
It can be a trifle awkward, though clicking merge layers at the save to bmp prompt (in the newest version of Gimp at least) will not actually merge your layers it will just merge them in your exported bmp. Your project will still have all its layers on your desktop. To prevent confusion and make sure I don't lose my work what I usually do is:

-save my working file to my desktop in a working folder as an .xcf file with all my layers
-when I want to save my bmp for previewing, I go to File>Save a Copy and select the file in my projects folder I want to replace, then click okay to merge layers, etc.

This way every time I click ctrl s to save I'm saving my layered copy, and when I want to preview I'm intentionally updating my bmp by going to the menu. This helps if the program crashes, which it will even though the new windows version is more stable than the older ones. You won't be left with only a one layered bmp and lose your working file.

"I'm afraid I'm not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service".
Test Subject
#60 Old 16th Jan 2008 at 11:52 PM
Thank-you VERY MUCH!
Test Subject
#61 Old 23rd Feb 2008 at 6:21 PM
when i do step eight, it always cuts off the bottom of the dress in Bodyshop and makes the top like an ugly sweater. I do the rest of the steps and it dosn't do anything even when i save. Can you help me?

smile; you might be naked :)
Field Researcher
#62 Old 23rd Feb 2008 at 6:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rockon44554
when i do step eight, it always cuts off the bottom of the dress in Bodyshop and makes the top like an ugly sweater. I do the rest of the steps and it dosn't do anything even when i save. Can you help me?

Take a look at the picture in step 9. Does your alpha look exactly like that? The only reason it would cut off the bottom of the dress would be if that area was black on your alpha. If your alpha does look like the picture, can you post a picture of what you're seeing bodyshop. That might help in figuring it out

Test Subject
#63 Old 26th Feb 2008 at 12:29 AM
Thank you for your tutorials. They are very clear andeasy to understand. I only had one problem but figured out from reading posts.

Looking forward to future tutorials :-) Thanks again!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#64 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 7:28 AM
You're very welcome JewelzEyes.. Myself and a couple of others are actually working on a fourth tute as we speak, it will be up within about a month..

It will be more of an intermediate tute this time because it's going to cover shadows and highlights and that's a little more intuitive than this content. We figure the information needs to be out there for the guys who want it Expect it within about a month or so.

My home site is http://www.sublimesims.net/
Test Subject
#65 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 6:20 AM
thanks alot, I didn't think i would ever find a program that would be free and help me so much. Thanks to all your toturials now I'll be able to make some more clothes for the guys and the boys. lol.

PHP Code:
la chiflada
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#66 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 8:52 AM
:-) you are very welcom terecis.. You are exactly the type of person I wrote these for.

Test Subject
#67 Old 23rd Mar 2008 at 1:13 AM
Thank you so much, I finally did it! I've been trying to create clothing since Sims1 and it never came out right! This was VERY helpful!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#68 Old 23rd Mar 2008 at 2:11 AM
:-) you're very welcome Littlevargs.. and I've just posted tute 4 in the Bodyshop Skinning forum.. It deals with shadows and highlights. (It hasn't been moved to this bit just yet)

Test Subject
#69 Old 23rd Mar 2008 at 3:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Saraswati5
:-) you're very welcome Littlevargs.. and I've just posted tute 4 in the Bodyshop Skinning forum.. It deals with shadows and highlights. (It hasn't been moved to this bit just yet)

Thank you, thank you, thank you! hehe I will have to get started on that now!
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 15th Jul 2008 at 8:40 PM
Thank you so much for these tutorials! They have helped me so much in understanding recoloring/editing the alpha better, and I've been able to help others.
Test Subject
#71 Old 24th Oct 2008 at 4:13 AM
All I can say is thank you, thank you a million times thank you. You don't know how happy you've made me!! :lovestruc
Test Subject
#72 Old 24th Oct 2008 at 5:53 AM
Every Time i open up the alpha all i see is a white screen with a black triangle at the top. is one of my settings rong or something?
Test Subject
#73 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 11:02 PM
Thank You so much for posting tutorials for all us gimpy girls out there!
Your hard work is very very very much appreciated! tytyty
Test Subject
#74 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 8:59 PM
Um, how do you cut the clothing out????? I've read your other tutes, but I still don't know how. Help!
Test Subject
#75 Old 14th Jan 2009 at 12:17 AM Last edited by Maddadsims99 : 17th Jan 2009 at 12:42 AM.
help!!
I have no idea how to cut out an area in GIMP. (Step 13) What do I do?

I really need help! I have no idea how do to it!!!
Page 3 of 4