Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 10:08 AM Last edited by Amarysauce : 25th Jul 2014 at 9:17 AM.
Default Can't retexture plants?
EDIT: Found new info that may help. See new post

Usual disclaimer, I searched, couldn't find anything relating to my issue, etc

So I want to make a rainbow of flowering plant recolours, because screw realism; but the cloned packages don't contain any IMG files. Not a single one of the plants I want to recolour had one. Which leaves me with two questions:
a) where the heck are these plants getting their textures from, then? and
b) does this mean I can't recolour plants?

(For reference, here's my list of attempted plants:
Azalea
Daisy
Rose
Wild Rose
Dianthus
Coleus
Heather
Agapanthus
Marigold
Hydrangea
Lantana
Lilac
Peony
Chinese Lantern
Bougainvillea
Rhododendron
Rainbow Shower Tree)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 8:11 AM
Hi,

Plants get their textures from 2 things: 1) Detail placed on the multi, this would be the leaves, flowers, stem, dirt in pot etc. These are greyscale images on the alpha of the multiplier. Secondly, plants have an overlay texture to give the main parts of the leaves and such. The only thing that is recolorable on a plant in game is the pot usually. The only way to recolor would be to replace the overlay and replace the detail on the multi if you change the physical look of the plant. This can be a difficult thing to do, but their are some tutorials out there for it.

Good Luck
Test Subject
#3 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 2:51 PM
Normal Problem, If I Got The Problem,I Just Restart The Game, And Start The Game Again man, simple just that what I have to show
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st May 2014 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by metisqueen30
Hi,

Plants get their textures from 2 things: 1) Detail placed on the multi, this would be the leaves, flowers, stem, dirt in pot etc. These are greyscale images on the alpha of the multiplier. Secondly, plants have an overlay texture to give the main parts of the leaves and such. The only thing that is recolorable on a plant in game is the pot usually. The only way to recolor would be to replace the overlay and replace the detail on the multi if you change the physical look of the plant. This can be a difficult thing to do, but their are some tutorials out there for it.

Good Luck

That's what I'm trying to do, replace the DDS images in the file itself, but there aren't any there to replace =\

I've screenshotted everything that comes up when I try to deep clone a red Azalea plant.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#5 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 6:08 AM Last edited by metisqueen30 : 1st Jun 2014 at 6:11 AM. Reason: Add info
hmm..that is odd and odder I don't have it with TSR Workshop...yes I can see there are no textures on that plant.....I"m not sure what's going on there, maybe its like some of EA's posters, which have no textures associated to them. If I think of something I will let you know. There is a possibility of recoloring it if you can add the plant to the mask, but it may be more pain than its worth...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 11:06 AM
Damn. Why on earth did they make it so complicated? I just want a rainbow of flowers in my game ;_;
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 11:36 AM
Think you need to tick deepclone when you want the texture files(in s3oc)
Be aware you will also get alot of other crap you dont want so you best clone with deepclone ticked and as replacement(untick rename/renumber)
After that open the file with S3PE and delete all the textures you are not going to edit, especially the patterns, empty overlays and stencils.
Save the file and reopen it with s3OC, then fix/clone it with rename/renumber ticked.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 12:52 PM
I already tried deep cloning, as shown in the screenshot above. Although I suppose some of the other plants MAY work that way...I'll try it for a couple other ones.
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2014 at 7:10 AM
Which expansion pack are these plants from? Its strange I can't clone them in TSRWS..I don't use S3OC....I could help you more if I could see what we were working with
Test Subject
#10 Old 3rd Jun 2014 at 7:21 AM
Which expansion pack are these plants from? Its strange I can't clone them in TSRWS..I don't use S3OC....I could help you more if I could see what we were working with
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 3:11 PM
I'm not sure what EPs...I'm reeeasonably sure the azalea is basegame, though, and rainbow tree is definitely either island paradise or one of the store worlds
Test Subject
#12 Old 8th Jun 2014 at 5:03 AM
Hi,

Okay this is what I can ascertain so far from my investigation. The plant is actually from the Pets EP, which I don't have install which may be why I couldn't clone it. The idea that I'm getting is that you cannot change actual terrain plants, you can only change terrain paint that you spray on the lawn (like changing build trees or so forth) I suspect there really isn't a lot to changing a terrain paint other than changing its texture. I had no success, however in loading terrain paints myself yet so that I can see what they are comprised of, but I know that TSR does have them for download so its possible. I will investigate further and see what I can come up with.
Test Subject
#13 Old 8th Jun 2014 at 5:06 AM
Hi,

Edit to the last post, I managed to load the first terrain paint, which is grass and you have a section that allows for the texture to be changed. It appears as though you just load a new texture to replace the old one. Now the question is, is that plant that you are speaking about paint, or actual terrain flowers? If its an actual plant that can be placed than you may have to use a different route to change the textures as you wish, maybe such as cloning a floor tile or something. Let me see what I can come up with

Cheers
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 11:27 AM
I haven't tried in-game terrain paint, but textures for CAW are super easy :3

It's so annoying that I can't work out the plants! The only one that's worked is one I suspect is actually a custom object from somewhere, called Simcity Midbiscus. At least having ONE plant with more colours will help prettify my game a bit.

I appreciate your investigating for me!
Test Subject
#15 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 4:39 AM
Hi,

That's no problem :-) One might try to clone a floor tile and change it that way but that might be more pain than its worth :-( Wish I could come up with more
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 9:16 AM
I've just found this tutorial: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...C_and_modify_it

Step 2 directed me to where to find the DDS files for the plants. So, that part works. However, the rest of the tutorial is very outdated, and even the tutorials it links to aren't very up to date. Does anyone know where I could find a guide on how to stick the image into the cloned plant file?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 3:38 AM
Hopefully bumping is permitted. Anyone have any ideas on making the recolour package, since I found out how to find the plant texture files?