Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2016 at 8:21 PM Last edited by Elynda : 3rd Sep 2019 at 11:49 AM.
Default The Old Rectory
I would welcome opinions, advice and general feedback on what will (if it meets with approval) be my first upload to MTS.

This is very loosely based on 'The Old Rectory' at Farnborough in Berkshire, England. I say 'loosely' because there are some features of the original that would be impossible to reproduce without recourse to a lot of CC. I have attatched a photograph of the original, but it is rather small, I can't find anything larger. As it stands the house includes no CC and is purely 'base game' so far as I can determine. It stands on a 40X40 lot, because I wanted it to have a large garden.

Here are two floor plans that show the internal layout:

Ground Floor

First Floor

I include a number of interior views. It will be seen that interior design is not my strong point, and that I still haven't gotten the hang of taking indoor shots.

Finally a view of the back garden. Plenty of scope for development there. I had thought of including a summer house or a gazebo of some kind but it didn't look right.
Screenshots

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 28th Aug 2016 at 8:39 PM
Great job! I would consider a different fence as the original doesn't have a fence and the oranges/browns clash a bit. Just my opinion. Also, maybe consider the front entrance as two or three tiles wide instead of four. That would look more like the original but you would probably have to use a single tile door or remove windows beside the door. Is there a base game two tile window that could be used above a two tile wide entrance? The very large bathroom upstairs could be split into two bathrooms. And/or, if you can find another place for the chess table, that room could be a master bath. Unless you're matching original floor plans? Look forward to seeing it uploaded!
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Aug 2016 at 9:09 PM
You're right about the fence, if only there was a way I could get the brickwork to match the house. I might consider making it a hedge. Ditto the entrance, which gave me a lot of trouble, I really wanted an arched window above the door, as in the orginal, but there isn't a base game window that will sit centrally above the door. I rather liked the window boxes, but it would work just as well with two. I will try it. I've no idea about the original floorplan, I was just trying to make it uncomplicated and logical. Good idea about the bathroom, knowing what its like with larger sim families! Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Instructor
#4 Old 29th Aug 2016 at 4:44 AM
Your terrain painting is good, may want some dirt around the base of the foundation so it shades a little bit )
Great job )
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Aug 2016 at 9:58 AM Last edited by Elynda : 3rd Sep 2019 at 11:08 AM.
Yes, I'll do that. I've revised the building - following some of SimmyRN's suggestions, and it is now slightly less wide, so the terrain painting needs patching up in any case. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT:

I think I shall have to say "inspired by the Old Rectory, Farnborough" from here on in. Having seen other views of the house and its very extensive grounds, and a couple of shots of the interior, I can see that anybody familiar with the place (it is quite famous, having once been the home of poet Sir John Betjaman) would laugh my interpretation to scorn!

Anyway here is a view of the revised version.

You can see that I have made the entry narrower: it was 5 tiles wide, now it is 3. That arched window is the only base game one that will sit centrally over the door. But this improves the proportions of the house a bit, and enables me to make the hallway narrower. The double stairway was unnecessary - I understand sims tend not to use the extra width anyway. I have also revised the roof, making it larger. I'm not sure if that actually is a mansard roof on the original, but I'm sticking with it, because I like it. Also the two 'false' gables are more logically positioned now. Oh yes, and the hedge looks far better!

Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 1:17 AM
Hi Elynda and welcome to Creator Feedback Forum. I was happy to see that Simmy was already here. I believe Simmy was the first person to help me on my first thread in CFF, so I knew you were in good hands.

I like the hedge much more than the fence- good call. The proportions are much better now. The following are style choices, so the final decision is up to you. In general your rooms are kind of big and under furnished. You might want to divide them into more rooms, or section them into areas, like sleeping space and desk space, or reading nook. The red bedroom is perhaps too matched. You have the same pattern on the bed, walls, curtains and rug. Perhaps make one part of the wall (top or bottom) a different color and texture. I would probably also change the texture and shade or color of the rug.

I like the den and the dining room and the study. I think I would move the single beds in the blue bedroom away from the wall. It is a big room and the beds do not need to be against the wall. In the kitchen, one sink is partially in front of a window and the other is not at all under a window. I would make that more symmetrical. Also, is that overhead light base game?

I am working on a tutorial for taking pictures in TS3. My guide is under the spoiler. All in all, it's looking great. Please post back with any questions. I would love to see updates, if you care to share them. Best of luck!

Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 4:52 AM Last edited by Elynda : 31st Aug 2016 at 1:19 PM.
@attuned Yes, the decor! That's gonna be the next phase, I really need to work on that! That red room was really meant for the owner I originally had in mind, a character from my 'Scumthorpe' story who is a rather 'satanic' personage, but of course its not right for the purposes of unploading. I'll tone it down a bit. I was a bit worried about the large rooms looking a bit sparsely furnished, I will look at dividing them up, or I could put some screens in I suppose. I've put a couple of desks in the kids room for them to do their homework, and I don't know why I keep putting beds against walls! I suppose its because mine always was when I was a kid.

I had all the windows positioned wrong at the back of the house, I didn't notice till I viewed it from the outside, and then I had to reposition them again when I altered the building. I'll have to go back and check on that kitchen light, I was being careful only to pick base game stuff, but I may have slipped up here and there. I don't think I like it anyway, doesn't look right for a residential lot - to 'industrial'.

Your tips on indoor photography are very helpful, It is something I'm still getting the hang of for my story posts. I've used that trick of removing a wall a couple of times when shooting in a small space and, of course, you can quit without saving so it doesn't matter if you mess things up.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, it has given me much food for thought.

P.S. You were right, that kitchen light wasn't base game. I'm going to use wall lamps instead, they look much nicer.

Scholar
#8 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 1:11 AM
Nice work! I too like the hedge and the proportions much better. Might I suggest toning down the contrast between the front door and surrounding walls as there doesn't seem to be that much contrast in the reference picture. At least, to my eyes. Looking forward to updates!
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 1:06 PM
SimmyRN: Yes, I've been thinking that too. I was trying to get the door to match the windows, and as I've observed elsewhere, they look a different colour depending on the time of day. It is the surrounding wall I need to change so it is more of a match. Obviously I'm trying to replicate that feature of the orginal house, though I'm not sure if it is really working.

Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 2nd Sep 2016 at 1:16 AM
Colors in the game are not exact. You can try to use the exact same color on doors and windows, and yet they still do not look the same. I find a color I like, put the same color on the other thing (door, wall, window...) and then slowly adjust the light to dark slider ( in CASt) to find either the same color or a complimentary shade.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 8:18 PM Last edited by Elynda : 3rd Sep 2019 at 11:52 AM.
I hope its alright to revive this thread after a whole year - is it really that long? I'll delete this if that's the case.

This is just to let anybody who is interested know that I haven't given up on this build. I've been occupied with story telling projects, as well as with health issues.

But today, just after I had decided to have a serious go at decorating the interior, I became convinced that the house ought to be smaller. The big rooms were difficult to furnish. And, if I made it smaller, perhaps it needn't go on such a large lot. It doesn't really need that huge garden, and a smaller one would be more versatile. Considerably cheaper too.

So here's The Old Rectory mark III. It's built on a 30X30 lot and is rather smaller, but it still retains most of the original features: I'm still trying to remain as faithful as possible to the original. The interior layout is more or less as it was, although slightly simplified. It is still completely base game, although I'm going to have to check it over carefully. I think that little arched window looks much better than what I used before.

I haven't begun decorating the interior yet, it is just white walls. That is the part I find most difficult, to be honest, I really am totally clueless about it!

Scholar
#12 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 10:06 PM
I don't know that there's any time limit, so welcome back! Looks good so far!
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 11:36 PM
Thanks. Now comes the challenge - decorating. I'm going in. Wish me luck!

Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 7:55 AM
I like this a lot. If my build I might change the roof to a grey slate/shingle. I see what you are trying to do, but this looks a tad Spanish for an English build. One other thing is for houses like this I tend to box my chimneys so they can match the brick of the building and I like the proportions better. And lastly, I like the prior window better for the upstairs above the front door. This one is too Victorian for this build. I am glad to see you are working on this again.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 11:01 PM Last edited by Elynda : 13th Sep 2017 at 6:35 AM.
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I might go with the grey slate. And now that I look at it, I think you are right about the window the other one looks a little too... Mediterranean. Wish I had something that looked more like the original, but my options are limited by my decision to keep it base game.

And now I'm completely embarrassed to have admit that those big Georgian windows I was using at the front are actually cc ones, and not the ones I'd planned on using, which are smaller, and actually look better.

To avoid such mistakes in future, and give myself a clearer view of what I have to work with, I have installed just the base game on my old desktop PC, patched to level 1.67. To that I've added Bigger Builder's Island, which will be far better to use and take less time to load than Sunset Valley. I should have done this before and saved myself a lot of bother. Well, we live and learn!

Mad Poster
#16 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 1:58 AM
I think it is coming along really well.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 8:15 AM
Happy to see you working on this again. I build in a game folder that has no cc. All of the expansions are installed but I use the filter to show only base game stuff, if that's what I'm building. I build in an EA world, but not Sunset Valley or Bridgeport, because most of those lots are not flat. I find building in EA worlds to be more interesting and inspiring, but cancelling newspaper delivery is essential. I am looking forward to,updates, good luck!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo