Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Feb 2016 at 4:30 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Nraas Traveler question
I'm having a moment where I don't want to play The Sims 4 right now, so I'm trying to focus on The Sims 3, my favorite mod for Sims 4 was MC Command Center, I loved it. And then I found out about Twallan's Mods, so my question is, can I make it so Worlds like Bridgeport and Sunlit Tides are attached to Sunset Valley as like a City or a WA subhood (like in The Sims 2), because I'd be doing anything to have Story Progression affect all of The Sims in the game. Please answer.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th Feb 2016 at 5:33 AM
Yes, more or less. BTW, I have 15 worlds connected in my ongoing game and my save file is usually around 2 GB. It's not a problem as long as one has enough hard drive space to manage their collection of saves. There really isn't a limit to the number of connected worlds one may have, but I would expect things to get dicey if you tried to play say over 50 of them within the same game save.

Here's the FAQ page, if you haven't already seen it: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler+FAQ

But a couple of gotchas. It is the nature of TS3 that only one world can progress at a time. So if you are playing actively in Sunset Valley, the sims in the other worlds who are not visiting yours at the time are all in a state of suspended animation and will not progress until you shift active play there. Traveler can be set to have them age or not, but that's just their total number of sim days on the planet, not moving forward in any other way.

The other thing to watch out for is that some (not all) custom worlds were not ID'ed properly by their creators and do not respond well to being connected this way. For those problematic worlds, you may find that traveling there each time presents you with a fresh copy of that world and its sims instead of the altered and progressed one you last left behind and/or you may not be able to get home again if the same thing happens when you try to return travel. The only way to tell if a custom world is going to behave properly is to test it out first on a temporary game off to the side and make sure it acts as it should with travel in both directions.

Will also add that NRaas Overwatch and ErrorTrap are practically essential to playing this way, if you don't already have them. And that Register is the mod that governs tourism, not Traveler or SP.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Feb 2016 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
That whole aging thing is confusing. I remember in the past it happened a couple of times when my sim went overseas, met some chick and fell in love. Then when my sim came back home, I called her up long distance to invite her over. When she arrived into the homeworld, she was an old woman! I'm not sure what was the deal with that, perhaps it was an issue with the older version that was since fixed? But I have never tried that method again. Since then, I would only marry foreign sims in their homeworld and come back as a couple.

So while traveling across the continents, she took off her makeup, wig, and reverted to her true age. Surprise! Not sure why this was a problem...

When you send for sim to come visit you, they are passing through the TravelDB file and it's really a scaled down representation of themselves who arrives. Sounds like something got borked with the instance of the foreign sim in that file, I've had it happen with siblings living in different worlds once or twice long ago as well. You might have had better luck by using MasterController to Add Sim her into your homeworld permanently instead. Or abandon that session and go back to France to find out what her story really was, add her to your household while there with or without the marriage, and thus bring the full version of her back home pretty much as you said.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Feb 2016 at 7:36 AM
If Traveler's Ageless Foreign Sims is set to False on a per world basis, then the ages of sims in those worlds will increment by one each sim day at midnight as you play in your homeworld. The setting has to be made where you are actively playing, on City Hall or an in-game computer. If they would have passed through one or more age stages in the process, their new age stage will catch up with them the next time you arrive in their world or invite them over. If they extend well beyond their life expectancy, they will die of old age the next time you visit their world (not sure what happens if you try to pull them in for a visit when they should be that old, never tried it as dead houseguests really don't sound like much fun).

You made it sound like your sim sent for his gf right away after arriving home, or maybe a couple of sim days later. If she had been an Adult a couple of sim days away from aging up to Elder when he last saw her, then this would have been expected. Otherwise, not so much. But I may have misunderstood how much time passed between your sim arriving home and his having sent for her.

And yes, if it was a glitch with the TraveDB, just before the time he retired Twallan added a lot of code to the function that pulls sims into currently being played homeworlds as visitors, either by MC or by phone provided the player has Traveler, Overwatch, ErrorTrap, and RelationshipPanel in place. Chain, our current developer, noticed that some of the code was still pending for testing when he "took over" and pushed it through. So as of around a couple of (real time) years ago, those foreign sims pulled in by yours for visits are still not complete versions of themselves, but they are more complete than Mini-Sims. Quite likely that's the improvement that stops errant aging from happening more often now.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 29th Feb 2016 at 5:20 PM Last edited by igazor : 29th Feb 2016 at 5:30 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Has it always been this way? Because I only saw the traveler option for aging recently, at least within the last year or so. The scenario I mentioned above was from several years back. I had always been under the impression back then that sims in foreign worlds don't age until either you arrive or leave. It's been a long while since I paid any attention, but I remember that often I leave a vacation world and the next time I came back to visit, many of them would've aged - some died off while other new children showed up.

Is there a synchronization between the worlds? So you won't end up like having your grandkids the same age as your friend in the foreign world?

The Ageless Foreign Sims option was added to Traveler in v60, which was released somewhere in between Patch 1.50 and 1.55. After Uni, before IP. So that would have been around three years ago. And again, it's not really aging it's incrementing those foreign sims' ages by 1 sim day each night. The real aging cannot happen until the sim or the world they live in is active on screen. So what you are remembering, foreign worlds "catching up" upon arrival, is still accurate. In addition to aging, pregnancies are resolved so children appear and if the game itself notices that everyone has died off, a small number of new sims, descendants of the ones you knew, will spawn so that the world remains playable. I think that's a WA thing, although it could be Traveler arranging for that as well.

There is no synchronization, that would be beyond the scope of what a script mod can do. There is resolution, either one sim or one world at a time, when either becomes active or instantiated the sims' ages are resolved with the data having been held pending in the TravelDB file. This is why a sim yours may know in another world might still have a baby or child icon in the relationship panel; they may well be a YA by now and you may have played their world having landed there from elsewhere in your system, but the last time your sim or this world has "seen" them, that's what they looked like. This is also why the modification dates of the foreign nhd files never change unless you are playing there -- they can be queried for data, but only the TravelDB is changed until resolution happens.

If you choose to have Ageless set to True, which I believe it's not for any worlds by default, then the grandkids in your world will catch up to and pass that friend in the foreign world after a long time has passed, depending on age spans. This option exists so that players can rotate through the worlds they are playing and not "miss" anything as their households in various places age up and progress while being played as an active world. I use a combination of Ageless on or off depending on the world -- "my" sims live in only 5 of them so they are ageless when foreign. I want to play all of them in turn and not miss any birthdays. The others are vacation destinations and places my sims used to live (plus WA and Uni). Those can age in my sims' absence because I have no intention of ever playing them as active homeworlds, only as potential places to visit. If things start to get wildly out of synch with friends in vacation type worlds aging too fast, I step in and make them ageless while foreign again for a while. MasterController can be used on foreign worlds (filter to Homeworld) to see how far away things are getting from what is wanted; just a simple Family Tree command and sort by age does the trick.

It's a brilliant system, although a little delicate because of the required TravelDB intermediary to hold pending data, for those inclined to use it and keep track of what each connected world is doing. But it's not compulsory and is not as attractive to every player in exactly the same way.

ETA: I'm sorry for taking things so far away from the OP's original query. But as we've probably annoyed them to no end by now with all this follow-up chat, I may as well ask here. What's with the message "Love" spam I'm starting to see all over the place?
Site Helper
#12 Old 29th Feb 2016 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor

ETA: I'm sorry for taking things so far away from the OP's original query. But as we've probably annoyed them to no end by now with all this follow-up chat, I may as well ask here. What's with the message "Love" spam I'm starting to see all over the place?

Because I'm very affectionate lately?

(I noticed that if someone has been clicking "disagree" on every post, it gets commented on almost immediately. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to comment about a "Love" on every post....)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Mar 2016 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Because I'm very affectionate lately?

(I noticed that if someone has been clicking "disagree" on every post, it gets commented on almost immediately. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to comment about a "Love" on every post....)

But see, random and senseless acts of affection like that dilute the real love that some posts earn just by their being so...lovable.

Okay yeah, I just had to be that guy, didn't I?
(hangs head in shame)
Site Helper
#14 Old 1st Mar 2016 at 2:15 PM
So you think I'm taking John 15:12 a bit too literally? (Most of the time, it really is the people who are getting the Love)

Just for anyone who is curious, it started last Christmas, and this was the first time anybody asked about it.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#15 Old 2nd Mar 2016 at 5:16 AM Last edited by igazor : 2nd Mar 2016 at 7:12 AM.
Since I don't have the required Charisma skills to make a Smooth Recovery out of this (other than to say "I'm sorry, as you were then!"), I think I'll go back to answering Nitromon's Traveler questions.

A tourist wouldn't age while they are visiting your homeworld. But if their total incremented age would have already put them into a new age stage since the last time you saw them, they would assume that state upon materializing in your world. That's close to aging, but not quite the same thing; they would do exactly the same if you went to their world to visit them.

The surprise overseas child, usually an apparent product of some kind of immaculate conception and not as I recall involving a sim's true partner, is a "feature" of WA. They do reportedly tend to show up on the family tree, though. The mere existence of Traveler should stop that from happening. That unanchored one getting stuck in your TravelDB occasionally might be a side-effect of the game you are playing being older than probably Traveler's fix is. Or is it also happening in newer games (if you ever play or test any long enough for this to happen) as well? If so, that should be a mod bug report.