Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 3:08 PM
Default If I buy Sims 3 what do I get?
My computer crashed beyond all hope and I lost my Sims2 data If I get the new computer and put Sims2 back, my Sims seasons disk is cracked. I was running off Bon Voyage. I could buy the final Sims2 pack whatever its name is, get all of Sims2 at once or get Sims 3 After all I'll finally have the graphics ability to run it.

So questions

Does Sims 3 work on Windows 10?
Does it need to be registered on line just to play it?

Does Sims 3 either threw EP or fan made down loads have
Wings
animal ears
animal tails
animal noses
body mesh with hooves
the ability to alter skins and objects with my own content in a paint program or threw other methods at best custom paintings, Tshirts and skin color, texture and custom tattoos.
Health stat cheat objects
death cheat objects
animation pose boxes
record video in the game play.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 4:13 PM
Yes, TS3 works on Win10 (I'm currently using Win10 for my TS3 game). You do not have to register online unless you are downloading the game. If you are buying a hard disk, if my memory recalls correctly, you will be fine.
Mods and custom content are very extensive. The things that you list are either in the game (record video in gameplay) or are made available through fan-made downloads (wings). I believe you'll find everything you're looking for, one way or another. Happy simming!
One Minute Ninja'd
#3 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MistressTiffany
Yes, TS3 works on Win10 (I'm currently using Win10 for my TS3 game). You do not have to register online unless you are downloading the game. If you are buying a hard disk, if my memory recalls correctly, you will be fine.

Well, even if you buy a disk, you still have to register the game online with EA. And if the disk was purchased after ~2012, you still have to register it through Origin I believe. However, once registered, you do not have to ever connect to them again.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 6:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kaykeyser
Does Sims 3 either threw EP or fan made down loads have
Wings
animal ears
animal tails
animal noses
body mesh with hooves
the ability to alter skins and objects with my own content in a paint program or threw other methods at best custom paintings, Tshirts and skin color, texture and custom tattoos.
death cheat objects
animation pose boxes
record video in the game play.

Yes, there are CC wings. The Supernatural EP fairies have wings too.
Yes to all the animal content, except for the hooves. Haven't seen any.
Yes, there are many ways to create content. Custom paintings can be created by cloning a painting and changing the picture using S3PE.
Unsure what you mean by "Health stat".
Yes, Nraas' MasterController has death cheat-like functions.
Yes, cmomoney created a pose player for TS3.
Yes, the functionality is built-in.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Instructor
#5 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 7:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Well, even if you buy a disk, you still have to register the game online with EA. And if the disk was purchased after ~2012, you still have to register it through Origin I believe. However, once registered, you do not have to ever connect to them again.

That's true: you do have to register it with Origin. I thought registering with EA was optional though?
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 7:37 PM
You don't have to register the game at all. I do not install the EA download manager nor the Origin tool that comes with the disks (I have all expansions on disk, never use origin download or the launcher). All you need is a valid key which should be included in the box you buy. Patches are provided by the awesome community.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#8 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 1:30 AM
Quote:
If I buy Sims 3 what do I get?
Heartache, heartburn, high blood pressure, less hair, new friends to commiserate with, an awesome Simmer Community, an appreciation of Computer and IT-related subjects, new skill in troubleshooting computers.

Quote:
Does Sims 3 work on Windows 10?
Yes, better on newer machines with Windows 10 pre-installed as the hardware is newer and have all the supported drivers for it. Compared to machines being upgraded, eg from XP or later OSes.
Quote:
Does it need to be registered on line just to play it?
  • If you can still purchase boxed Disc versions pre-2012, then no need to register in Origin; and you can patch up to the version that you prefer as long as you use mods made to be compatible for that patch version.
  • If you purchase a Digital version (Amazon, Origin, Steam for eg), then yes, registration is mandatory and you cannot escape from being forced to update to the current patch.

Quote:
You don't have to register the game at all. I do not install the EA download manager nor the Origin tool that comes with the disks (I have all expansions on disk, never use origin download or the launcher). All you need is a valid key which should be included in the box you buy. Patches are provided by the awesome community.
I need to correct this.
- registration is not required as long as the medium is disc and release before 2012. Before Supernatural or Showtime, I cannot be sure, but one of the packs released in that year. I'm also unclear if we buy a (new) boxed game today, whether they are the old prints or new reprints and EA has also made all of them "Origin required".
- Official patches are made by EA. There are no unofficial patches.
Instructor
#9 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 1:43 AM
I didn't have to register my disc copy of the game until I wanted to buy online store stuff and I got all the expansion packs before doing it. I don't know what year my disc version was made but it wasn't required and that is a huge plus for me given my internet connection.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#10 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 2:01 AM
Registration of a disc-based copy at the Sims3.com site allows you to use all the online features of the game, like those introduced in Showtime and gifting, and buying stuff in the Sims 3 Store. And if you like to see all the icons in your online profile. It also gives you a free digital version if you have Origin installed. I only register my base game and didn't bother about the rest.

If I understand it correctly, purchasing a Digital version also mandates that you Register the game at the Sims3.com site, or else the game won't appear in your "My Games" tab in Origin.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 6:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
What do you get?

You get this:

Like what you see?

I have to ask, since you seem to regurgitate this video every chance you get lol. Is this your footage?
If so, I would say your game is wonderfully smooth, but you never really move the camera around beyond following the Sim, so it's hard to tell. Do you get stutter/slight FPS drop when sweeping the camera across the screen?

Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (8 CPUs) - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Dedicated VRAM - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 6:49 AM
Well, this is the only video I have recorded on my Nvidia. I don't actually record my games like most people for story etc... I record them for performance tests. I'm actually uploading a longer video right now, it is being processed. The reason I didn't move the camera much is because OBS (the recording software) is compressing as it records, so it affects the camera and would pulse if I move it too fast. This is why I'm recording another video, Frap seems to be much more friendly because it doesn't really compress as it records. Trade off is huge GB files (6GB for 1 min 40 sec).

My game is actually pretty smooth and one can imagine it is smoother than in the video since the video is recording and using resources. However, we're all running the same game that was written in the same way, so we all share certain issues that cannot be dismissed such as FPS drops when it loads textures. I'm only using a 650m, so unfortunately the max this GPU can do is 60 FPS, leaving no headroom for FPS drop. Most of the time the game does run on 40-60 FPS, but if I have the camera on and I'm driving around the town, it can drop to less than 10 FPS at times. But this isn't the issue of the GPU, it has to do with just HDD loading the textures. People with SSD would have much less FPS drops in this case. I'm using just a regular HDD at 7200 RPM.

I beg to differ. My SSD is by all accounts a damn fast one and this game still stutters when swooping the camera about. I have vsync on and a frame limit set to 60. When you say "leaving no headroom," what do you mean? Do you mean to say stuttering would be less noticeable if the frame limit was, say, 80? You'd have to turn off V-sync to try that, wouldn't you? If there's one thing I can't stand it's tearing.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (8 CPUs) - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Dedicated VRAM - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
Instructor
#15 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 1:01 PM
You get one of the best games ever made with some of the best mods out there and it looks really good when zoomed in. Even with all of my problems when i zoom in while running raps the Sims themselves still look really good and run without lag. This game is well worth picking up.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 1:31 PM
Do you think you could make a video? Because sometimes word description is hard to determine whether we're talking about the same issues.

When the camera pans, it is natural for FPS drops because the HDD is loading up textures. The SSD helps, but it won't eliminate the problem. I even wonder if we put the whole TS3 (all of it) on a RAMdisk, would it completely remove the FPS drops? I highly doubt it bc there'll still be access latency. The only real way is better programming, writing the game in 64-bit to utilize more RAM. Using HDD, it does drop down to 10 or less at times if I'm driving with the camera locked.

FPS headroom would only help if the FPS drop is directly related to the GPU. Like if the GPU can support 120 FPS and TS3 is capped at 60 FPS, it means you can push the GPU harder with maybe HBAO+, 8xAA, etc.... high image quality without losing the performance. Since my 650m max at 60 FPS, so any FPS tax I incure with those additional quality will drop the FPS below 60, making it slow. But again, unfortunately, this will not help in case of the HDD loading FPS drop.

But I'm really curious what do you mean stutter. Because one theory I had, which I cannot test because my system is not new enough or fast enough, is that there's a certain balance between the CPU and the HDD/SSD loading. So in some cases, because the CPU is so fast, so good, that the TS3 world is running really fast, thus increasing the HDD loading... but since the HDD loading cannot keep up with the CPU, you get micro-pulses in the game. If you have this issue, we can test if the game is smoother by actually reducing the CPU speed.

--------

Edit:

Btw, the video is finished with processing. Check it out. At the 3 min mark, I did have a recording of driving around. You can see the major FPS drop at this point. If your game runs similar to this video, then that's pretty much how this game suppose to run. New TS3 video.

Wow, that video certainly made me feel better about mine. I'd say my FPS is more consistent than that, because I can scroll around and stay at 60 but there will just be very brief hiccups every now and then which are more noticeable to me against the smoothness the game seems to want to uphold.

You're right though, it's hard to tell with words. I'll look into finding a free trial of something that won't affect my performance. I don't have any good software because I never have reason to record.
I'll try to have something when I get home later.

Alchemist
#17 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 3:33 PM

With the testingcheatsenabled cheat active, you can either drag your sim's needs up or down as you please, or even Shift-click on the mailbox and make all their needs static (not decaying i.e. never getting tired or needing to pee).
You can also go the way of half-cheats, the Lifetime Rewards. There are several that allow your sim to go longer without eating or peeing, another that makes energy decay much slower (and, if I recall correctly, faster to fill), another that fills up the Fun bar faster, another that makes the Hygiene need decay slower etc.

You get the point.

Also others that make your sim better at their job while slacking off, or make them never bore other sims when repeating interactions (great for improving Charisma), or make Witch-type sims not need a wand for spells (with added accuracy, less magic power used, and faster refill).

death cheat objects

There are mods for this (@HarVee mentioned Master Controller), and also in-game ways. Master Controller allows you to set the type of death too, so you can Force Kill sims and assign a death type to them without going through the hassle of "properly" getting that type of ghost.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 7:14 PM
So follow up question is there a game that has all the Sims 3 EPs on one purchase? like The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection only for Sims 3?
What I want to know mostly is if I buy the game from Amizon, that the previous owner isn't selling a worthless disk or that not registering wont prevent me from playing the game. I heard some games once registered can ONLY be plaid on the computer they were registered on. and some games require you to register. I could go online, register etc but I didnt want this new computer connected online if I didn't have to.
Also I want to make sure I get the packs that let me have what I need for the stories Im telling Magical fantasy stuff, Nonhuman sims, pets, seasons.
I don't want registering to prevent me from adding fanmade content or I could go with The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection but I want to make sure that is still compatable with fanmade content and fanmade patches. I also have to look up what objects and cloths are in each pack I need to get little things, a long list of stuff in my head.
Alchemist
#19 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 7:49 PM
I heard some games once registered can ONLY be plaid on the computer they were registered on.

There's NoCD if, for some reason, you don't want to use your game disc.

Custom content (CC) will only affect the game by patch levels and meshes - and even this has more to do with script and core mods. For example, if you want to download a shirt, the creator will say whether it's basegame compatible (i.e. anyone can use it) or you need a particular EP/SP to use it (if you don't have said EP/SP, it simply won't show up at all). For mods, not getting the version made for the patch level you are at can have various consequences, ranging from not doing what they're supposed to do, to not allowing the game to start at all.

You can find very good and in-depth guides on what each expansion pack, stuff pack, and world contains over on SimsVIP:
EPs: http://simsvip.com/sims-3-expansion-pack-guides/
SPs: http://simsvip.com/sims-3-stuff-pack-guides/
Premium content from the Store: http://simsvip.com/sims-3-premium-content-guide/
Worlds from the Store: http://simsvip.com/sims-3-world-guide/
Store objects: http://simsvip.com/the-sims-3-store/

If you are OK with videos, Lazy Game Reviewer also has a lot of fairly objective (and funny) reviews on his channel, on EPs, SPs, and Store content.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
One Minute Ninja'd
#20 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 9:33 PM
So follow up question is there a game that has all the Sims 3 EPs on one purchase? like The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection only for Sims 3?
What I want to know mostly is if I buy the game from Amizon, that the previous owner isn't selling a worthless disk or that not registering wont prevent me from playing the game................

No, there has been no release of a complete collection of all EPs in one set such as was done for TS2. If the seller is offering it as an "official" set, I would be suspicious.
Instructor
#22 Old 25th Feb 2016 at 4:50 PM
Yeah, I know this thread is two weeks old. But a body mesh with hooves was just released yesterday, one just like @kaykeyser was asking about.