Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 11:47 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default stairs problem
first of all i'm sorry if i'm posting in the wrong section, but anyway, after i searched, there's no matching case with mine. now, onto the problem.

so, i had just finished making my first apartment, moved in a family, and rented an apartment. as you can see, HERE , i'm having stairs outside for each apartment.

everything went out well, until i tried to make one of my sims to go inside his own apartment that he had rent, but the only thing he do is THIS and he always do the same thing to all the other apartments.

so, i decided to make this sim walk to an area in front of the stairs , and everything's normal, but when he tried to walk up the stairs, he definitely fails . this happens to the other apartments as well.

but, what's strange is, he walk up to the center front building stairs normally. the center front building isn't an apartment.

after that, i moved the family back to the family bin, and go back to the lot to change it to residential lot, and find nothing was blocking the stairs. i even remove ALL the stairs and put on other type of stairs.

but still, when i move the family into the same apartment, he won't walk up any apartment stairs, but he can walk up the front center building's stairs.

i also used the cheat 'move_objects on' to put him on the porch of the apartment, but his reaction is the same when he tried to walk down the stairs of his apartment.

FYI, i don't use custom content for the stairs.

can anyone help me? thanks in advance
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 9:38 AM
I can't help you, but I can confirm that I had had the same problem with two student houses once. The thing is I had used the same Maxis stairs shown in your pictures. So I think there must be something wrong with these stairs, or there must be some invisible obstacle blocking their way. I never found out what it was, but now I barely use this type of modular stairs anymore.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 2:31 PM
What you're seeing in his balloon is the infamous squiggly lines, meaning something is corrupt in your neighborhood. Have you done one of the bad things you shouldn't do in this hood before? (deleting sims in the bin, putting occupied houses in the bin, messing with the objects NPCs)

Some things you should try:

- put the family in another building with the same stairs and try to make the same sim walk up them. If he still refuses, your sim is buggy, most likely because of one the Bad Things above. You might wanna start considering a new neighborhood, sims showing squiggly lines are the first bug in a string of increasingly bigger problems.

- if he did go up those stairs in another building, though, it's your original building that was buggy. Put that building in the lot bin, then put it back on the same place it was before, and try with the same sim. If it works this time, the previous copy was buggy, but the new copy of the lot should keep working.

- if it still won't work, put another copy of the building somewhere else in the hood, and repeat. If it works this time, you had a corrupt location and should avoid putting other houses there. Put some trees in the place so you don't place lots there by mistake. (but if this is the case, you definitely wanna consider starting a new neighborhood - corrupt locations in the terrain are a pretty bad sign)