Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 12:07 PM
Default 'Black marks' across screen and game crashing
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem with the graphics of the game cutting out (i.e. it looks as though random black patches are following my mouse across the screen) and then the game crashing? It goes to the 'blue screen of death' and says there's a problem with the device, which I presume is my graphics card, and to reinstall drivers. I've installed the latest ones but I'm still having a problem. It only seems to be since I've gotten Free Time, but I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling half a dozen times and I really love that expansion pack! Also the game keeps 'catching' - it takes ages to sort itself out after my sim has driven home.

My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 PCI-E GT (258 MB) - I'm considering upgrading to a 512 NVIDIA GeForce 8800 PCI-E as that seems to be the popular one judging by reviews etc. Before I do that though, does anyone think that there could be a problem besides the graphics card? I have piles of memory on my computer itself, and I'm never connected to the internet when I'm playing and have minimal background programs running. I suppose it COULD be custom content but I don't have loads on my game.

Hope someone can help - thanks!

ETA: Forgot to add that this only ever happens with Sims - BUT Sims is the only high-graphics game I play. I have the original and EPs Free Time, Seasons, Pets and Nightlife.
Advertisement
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 12:36 PM
You may have artifacts or spikes. The most likely cause is a dusty video card or an overheating video card. If you've exhausted the possibility that it's your drivers, your security software (which EA reports as a possible reason for blue screen issues), or a RAM issue, a simple dusting could do the trick.

I don't have a Nvidia so maybe other people can point you in the right direction for other troubleshooting for your card.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 5:35 PM
Default HELP re Nividia please
Eek! I've just ordered a GeForce 8800 (512) and when surfing this site have noticed a few people mentioning that there is a problem between Sims 2 and Nvidia. Is this still the case on the newer Nvidia cards, please? If so I'll send it right back and get another one! I only play Sims so don't really want to buy a new graphics card just for the same problem to reoccur.
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 5:41 PM
Well I have a GeForce 7600GT and I've had the same problem that you're describing once or twice in the past. SimsArtThat hit the nail on the head. Its just your graphics card overheating. Switching off your computer completely and giving your computer a good dust out and your graphics card a break will usually help.

But if your problem is reoccuring it might have something to do with your power supply unit (PSU) or your cooling system. One reason why I didn't go and buy a card in the 8 series like yours was for that very reason - of having to upgrade my PSU and cooling fan.

May not be, but that's all I can think of.

Oh and by the way, The Sims 2 runs fine for me now, even with a nvidia card... you just have to be more cautious and take all the right steps... but yes nvidia and geforce are known to have issues with The Sims 2.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 5:48 PM
Thanks for the advice Jacki and SimsArtThat Unfortunately it isn't the card overheating - my computer was cleaned out only a week or so ago and is still fine. Often I've only had the computer on for 20 minutes on Sims and it's crashed straight away. There's also 2 fans in the tower - one attached to the graphics card and one external, so I don't think it can be that. Maybe I just have a quirky graphics card...

thanks for all your help :D
#6 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 5:57 PM
Ah no problem, sorry I couldn't help further. If I'm honest I'll suggest you don't go with nvidia... lol like I said they do have too many problems to mention with The Sims 2... but I hope you're able to get your game running properly again soon.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 6:11 PM
I have the exact same problem with my NVIDIA 8400. My other graphics card had failed, so I sent it to the computer shop and they put that card in and gave my computer a good cleanout etc. But I'm getting black marks after playing a lot for maybe 15 minutes or so. If I come out onto the neighbourhood screen and then go back into the house, I can get 10 more minutes play out of it, and I can do that a few times, but eventually I'll just get the blue screen and it will crash completely.

I haven't got anything to suggest, really. Just thought I'd let you know I share your pain! Hopefully I'll be able to afford a new computer next year when Sims 3 comes out. :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 6:59 PM
Ah - oh dear :S I did have a look at the threads around this site though and someone mentioned that the problem seems to have been more or less sorted by the time you get up to the higher range 8800? If not, could anyone possibly recommend a card of the same sort of price (I'm paying £140ish) and spec? My motherboard will support a 16x PCI-E card.

Elly - you have all my sympathy! I wouldn't mind so much if it was just the game crashing, at least then I can restart straight away. It's when it crashes my whole d*mn computer... *sulks*

ETA: Thanks for all your advice! Have been talking to my sister (fellow Sims fan and computing degree student) and reading everything on here and have gone for a Sapphire Radeon X1650 512 MB - for £35!!!!
Forum Resident
#9 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by strandedinaber

ETA: Thanks for all your advice! Have been talking to my sister (fellow Sims fan and computing degree student) and reading everything on here and have gone for a Sapphire Radeon X1650 512 MB - for £35!!!!

One thing you should know on that card.

When i was researching for my brothers graphics card it was a toss up between a 7600GT and that card...we went for the 7600 because after exhausting research i found the 1650 overheated alot as the memory chips Are covered by the heatsink and fan but doesnt actually touch them (see THIS pic) ...that means it get VERY hot (one person had 85c).

if you can take the heatsink off and apply a heat dissapating solution...thermal grease/pads that would put the heatsink in contact with the chips meaning they cool down.

Just search X1650 heat and lots of results on heat problems come up....not only that but i once had a 9250 and it overheated so much it fried the Motherboard.

FYI i now have a 8600GT 512mb which i got for... £55 ($110) last year...it's alot cheaper now.
shiny!
retired moderator
#10 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 12:28 AM
You are not the first person to report such issues with the 8500Gt :\ Hmm.. interesting.

Anyway, the 8800GT is a great card and should run TS2 well.

Please do yourself a favor and check what power supply your computer is running before adding a powerful gpu such as the 8800gt. With a 8500GT you'd think the manufacturer would have put in a decent psu but who knows really.. The 8800GT sucks a lot of power and you don't want to end up frying anything. The only way to determine what psu you have, you will have to open your case. Make sure you unplug your power cord from your case before doing so.. On the sticker it should say the number of watts on the psu. If it is less than 450w you need a new psu as well. HOWEVER just having enough watts is not enough. You also need to have sufficient amps on the +12v rail. To figure that out you should take note of the model number on the psu and do a google search for full specs. While you're at it eye your case for dust build up and use a can of compressed air to clean it up, taking special note of all fans.

The 9600Gt would also be a good card. In the US it will run you $150.. I'm not sure where you are. It would be one to check into.

ETA: I really would not have gone with that Sapphire.. there are MUCH better cards... especially if you're trying to run later expansions and much cc. Your radeon is only gddr2 eeek. If you're on a really tight budget and just can't afford any better then it would be something to keep in mind but I'm afraid you aren't going to be too pleased with the performance. There will likely be lag.. depends on how demanding of the game you are.

If you don't want to shell it out for a 8800GT (cheap I've found it is 130 quid) then consider the 8600Gt which is still much better than the X1650 you have.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131121