Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Dec 2010 at 3:39 AM Last edited by ZombieJill : 7th Dec 2010 at 3:03 AM.
Default (Answered) Upgrading/Rebuilding my computer... What's worth saving?
The power supply in my desktop finally died, so it's finally time to upgrade... but, my system is getting on in years, and I'm wondering if there's anything worth salvaging. I think my graphics are still par (for TS2/TS3, at least), but I am unsure what else I need to look into upgrading. Here's my specs.

==System==

* Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
* System Manufacturer: Custom.
* System Model: N/A
* Processor:AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Procssor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2CPUs)
* Memory: 2046MB RAM
* Page File: 732MB used, 3206MB available
* DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

==Display==

* Name: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
* Manufacturer: NVIDIA
* Chip Type: GeForce 7900 GS
* Approx. Total Memory: 256.0 MB

* Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
* Version: 6.14.0011.8585 (English)

==Sound==

* Name: SoundMAX HD Audio

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get any more specifics about the system unless I can just open it and check, since it no longer turns on... Woe is me! My system is custom-made, so at least I have good bones to build on... Thanks in advanced! (I did read the sticky, but I want to replace as little as I can, so I'm looking for some specific advice... That, and I'm really computer dumb. lol)

Feel free to PM me with any requests you may have~!
deviantART | Cosplay.com | GardenOfShadows
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Dec 2010 at 11:10 PM
Due to that CPU your motherboard is going to be limiting upgrades.. Your case will probably be salvageable, as well as your optical drive(s). Otherwise, I wouldn't put any more money into that system. The GPU and PSU would be the only two safe upgrades as they could always be moved to a new system. And actually, that 7900 is really showing age. I'm surprised yours still runs.. mine died 2 years ago. A new motherboard would mean a new CPU and almost certainly different type of RAM. HDD, while it would prob be okay assuming it's still working well, would be really slow compared to even very basic current drives and it wouldn't cost all that much to go ahead and replace it along with everything else.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Dec 2010 at 3:02 AM
That's what I was afraid of, the CPU, but I had expect it, so thank you! I will just build from the CPU up- and get a new case while I'm at it... the ventilation is terrible on the one I have now.

Thanks, Callistra! That answers all my questions... I shall retire ol' faithful with nary a backwards glance... To the Stickies!

Feel free to PM me with any requests you may have~!
deviantART | Cosplay.com | GardenOfShadows